Please do not delete this

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

lock·down
/ˈläkdoun/

noun
NORTH AMERICAN

1. the confining of prisoners to their cells, typically after an escape or to regain control during a riot.
    • a state of isolation or restricted access instituted as a security measure.
      "the university is on lockdown and nobody has been able to leave"

Lockdown is a punishment.

Perhaps that's right.  We, as a species, are being punished for what we do to the world by our all-consuming greed.

Call it Lock-down.  It's a punishment.

We should never go back to 'normal'.  All it will do is kill the planet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

Perhaps that's right.  We, as a species, are being punished for what we do to the world by our all-consuming greed.

Call it Lock-down.  It's a punishment.

We should never go back to 'normal'.  All it will do is kill the planet.

My people have been telling the rest of the world that for over 200 years. People aren't listening. They're too selfish and greedy to listen.

• Like 4

I think there is a lot of panic, and a lot of misinformation. I will put out a few things that are keeping me relatively calm through the changes that are happening in the US and around the world. This is how I approach my time dealing with the virus and its impact on the world.

1. The best media is the access most of us have to the information directly. Don't read or watch mass media reports instead read what the CDC, WHO and your government is saying directly. Watch the US Governments, your state and local governments press conferences (or your local equivalent) every day. Don't wait for someone else to report. Hear what leaders and experts are saying directly and formulate your own understanding.

2. Don't look at any models. If anything says millions will die its likely a model. Go watch yesterday's press conference with President Trump and listen to what Dr. Birx said about modelling. Could millions of people still die.. no idea, maybe... but the models showing all to doomsday assume very little to no containment. At the very least refer to 1 above. Don't read an article or a web site that has sprung up around this that tells you whats going to happen. Read the models and how they make their assumptions.  

3. Wash your hands. Wash them good. I suggest Alton Browns video because i Like him and its funny and at the end of the day its simple. Wash your hands with soap a bunch of times a day.

4. Stay home when you can. There won't ever be a lock down in the US that has the police or military blocking people from leaving their homes. Be responsible and safe. Shop sanely buying what you need like you always would. Many of us need more food because we eat out less, but there seems to be no need to stockpile. You wont get everything you need or exactly what you want.. but at least in the US food generally still seems to be plentiful. I am still looking for Pioneer Chicken Gravy packets btw.  : )

5. Keep going to work if your work is open. Work from home if you can. Work hard to keep things moving forward. Stay home if you are even a little bit sick. 

6. Relax, have fun, the whole world will get through this. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

lock·down
/ˈläkdoun/

noun
NORTH AMERICAN

1. the confining of prisoners to their cells, typically after an escape or to regain control during a riot.
    • a state of isolation or restricted access instituted as a security measure.
      "the university is on lockdown and nobody has been able to leave"

Lockdown is a punishment.

So basically my effort to provide an idea of what life is like living in a "lockdown" was a waste of time because you're stuck on a dictionary definition?

It's not a punishment here. It really isn't. It is the best chance we have of reducing the death count. Is that not worth it?

(Selene has informed me that she doesn't feel this way, so the you's refer to whomever does. Leaving the post in so you all know why she's pissed with me.)

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

My people have been telling the rest of the world that for over 200 years. People aren't listening. They're too selfish and greedy to listen.

Oh right, because your people are somehow naturally better than everyone else and never did anything selfish or greedy, unlike everyone else.  Crust on a book, this is not a time to play a race superiority card.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

So basically my effort to provide an idea of what life is like living in a "lockdown" was a waste of time because you're stuck on a dictionary definition?

It's not a punishment here. It really isn't. It is the best chance we have of reducing the death count. Is that not worth it?

Since everyone keeps twisting everything I say these days into what they want it to mean, not what it actually says, I'm done. 

I have never said to ignore sheltering in place or social distancing.

If people can't distinguish between showing that in North America a particular term usually means something different from the rest of the world and saying don't shelter in place that's thier fugging problem, not mine.

Thanks for kicking me when I about as down as I can get. I shouldn't have expected anything better than that from other humans.

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If people can't distinguish between showing that in North America a particular term usually means something different from the rest of the world and saying don't shelter in place that's thier fugging problem, not mine.

To your credit, I don't think many places in the US are "on lockdown". You can accept that it means something different for jail/prison than for epidemics...right? Words can mean more than one thing as language evolves...right?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Thanks for kicking me when I about as down as I can get. I shouldn't have expected anything better than that from other humans.

Can you not let go of your attachment to a negative definition of a particular word? Look at what I wrote about our "lockdown" here. That's the sense in which it is being used with regards to the pandemic. It isn't a bad thing. It isn't a punishment. I'm sorry people have punished you unfairly in the past, but that's not what's going on here.

(Selene has informed me that she doesn't feel this way, so the you's refer to whomever does. Leaving the post in so you all know why she's pissed with me.)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There is no appropriate reaction button for this so I'm going to have to smush you in a big bosom hug again (I'll try not to smother you... the bosom is large). 

Isn't it odd that I, the person who has openly admitted to enjoying a good heated debate, wants to stand on a chair and scream, "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"

I know. Strange times makes for strange behavior. 🤪

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Can you not let go of your attachment to a negative definition of a particular word? Look at what I wrote about our "lockdown" here. That's the sense in which it is being used with regards to the pandemic. It isn't a bad thing. It isn't a punishment.

This one isn't just Selene.  This is a US thing.  Many, many people over here have all sorts of negative connotations with the word 'lockdown'. That is why every single location in the US that is putting in similar type orders are using words like "Shelter in Place" and "Stay at Home" -- and the politicians are emphasizing that it is 'NOT A LOCKDOWN".

Despite how things are phrased, depending on the location, what is happening over here is very similar or even the same, as what is going on in some European countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

To your credit, I don't think many places in the US are "on lockdown". You can accept that it means something different for jail/prison than for epidemics...right? Words can mean more than one thing as language evolves...right?

Of course I can. I'm neither an idiot nor a child.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Can you not let go of your attachment to a negative definition of a particular word? Look at what I wrote about our "lockdown" here. That's the sense in which it is being used with regards to the pandemic. It isn't a bad thing. It isn't a punishment. I'm sorry people have punished you unfairly in the past, but that's not what's going on here.

banghead.gif.074560e8285c9dd0db9c3c5c49e7f267.gif

I have never said any of those things, nor thought them. I'm telling you what others in the US think, not what I think ffs.

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This one isn't just Selene.  This is a US thing.  Many, many people over here have all sorts of negative connotations with the word 'lockdown'. That is why every single location in the US that is putting in similar type orders are using words like "Shelter in Place" and "Stay at Home" -- and the politicians are emphasizing that it is 'NOT A LOCKDOWN".

Despite how things are phrased, depending on the location, what is happening over here is very similar or even the same, as what is going on in some European countries.

It's not a word with otherwise positive connotations over here either. Somehow we've managed to not get our collective knickers in a twist over a word.

But it's not worth arguing over. This is an American forum, so we do things your way.

(you, being general and referring to the majority, not anyone specific)

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

what others in the US think, not what I think ffs.

I don't disagree that the term "lockdown" is being avoided here because of connotations. Even "stay at home" is avoided, they are using stupid phrases like "remain at home please" while letting all business stay open that respect social distances. 

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

banghead.gif.074560e8285c9dd0db9c3c5c49e7f267.gif

I have never said any of those things, nor thought them. I'm telling you what others in the US think, not what I think ffs.

My apologies then. It wasn't clear to me that others were and you weren't. I'm going to bow out as I only thought to help a wee bit and have only made things worse. Take care everyone, and stay safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't disagree that the term "lockdown" is being avoided here because of connotations. Even "stay at home" is avoided, they are using stupid phrases like "remain at home please" while letting all business stay open that respect social distances. 

Oops I mis-stated. Here in Florida, it is called "Safer at Home". Not kidding.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oops I mis-stated. Here in Florida, it is called "Safer at Home". Not kidding.

Yeah, besides the Social Distancing phrase, I've seen 3 terms used for the various "don't go out much" orders across the US:  Shelter in Place, Stay at Home, and most recently Safer at Home.  If you google them or even just read the article that Luna linked yesterday, we find that they each mean something slightly different, but sometimes they mean the same thing.  And the ones using the same phrase usually mean the same thing, but are also sometimes different.  O.o 

Regardless of what phrase they use, it all basically means "Don't go anywhere unless you are essential personnel or are going to/from essential stuff", with 'essential' being defined by each locale. 

Best I know, only a few (very few) places have put in any sort of curfew, which does start giving Americans more of the 'lockdown' feel.

1 hour ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

It's not a word with otherwise positive connotations over here either. Somehow we've managed to not get our collective knickers in a twist over a word.

But it's not worth arguing over. This is an American forum, so we do things your way.

(you, being general and referring to the majority, not anyone specific)

My intention wasn't to beat you up over it, but words do have emotional connotation with people and we often cannot easily change that -- it is emotional, after all.  Telling people to just get over whatever 'lockdown' means to them isn't any different than any of the other "words have meaning" discussions that we have around here.  Just because country A, B, or C uses the term 'lockdown' without problem doesn't mean that everyone in country D has to have the same view.

Regardless of phrasing we are all basically talking about the same thing:  Keep you booty in your home unless you are part of the essential/required work force or you need to go out for essential stuff - though the essential part might be slightly different depending on where you are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It’s not being avoided. I watch msnbc many hours a day and everyone, news people, experts, politicians, use lockdown at least as much as they use other terms, and no one thinks they mean prison lockdown because they understand the context.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.