Please do not delete this

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't stop thinking about Catherine Mompesson, Eyam, the Great Plague was contained because of selfless actions.

It's the 21st century, and this should have been nipped in the bud before it became so widespread. 

I don't appreciate the panic our ridiculous world leaders have helped to create. Heck, they can't even control their own hair!

Schools, clubs, pubs, some shops, all have closed down here, it's up to people to all do their bit, be sensible, to avoid this spreading. Is there enough commonsense though?  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I can't stop thinking about Catherine Mompesson, Eyam, the Great Plague was contained because of selfless actions.

It's the 21st century, and this should have been nipped in the bud before it became so widespread. 

I don't appreciate the panic our ridiculous world leaders have helped to create. Heck, they can't even control their own hair!

Schools, clubs, pubs, some shops, all have closed down here, it's up to people to all do their bit, be sensible, to avoid this spreading. Is there enough commonsense though?  

Not that I can see. Only mandatory will do. The data is clear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shansi Kenin said:

They say when you see China  of Today... you're really seeing the America of Tomorrow.

if you look at the graphs: China was late in enforcing, but came down very hard when it did. Now they have no new cases. Our trajectory is Italy’s.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

if you look at the graphs: China was late in enforcing, but came down very hard when it did. Now they have no new cases. Our trajectory is Italy’s.

I hope you're wrong, but also I don't think ours will be China's. We're not built for it.

ETA: I think the petition will struggle because it closes well after it'll be too late to do anything about it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

It kind of goes against the 1st amendment.

I've mentioned this before, and I think I've linked to the page, too.

I've been following the UN World Happiness Report for years. It's a look into that thing which freedom loving Americans are guaranteed the right, but not the ability, to pursue. There's a ranking chart 2/3rd's down the following webpage. It shows overall happiness and several of the components that make up that metric. Click on the "Freedom to make life choices" column until it's in descending order. Then go find China and the US.

No freedom = 0, full freedom = 1. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

For those who're too busy to look:

• China 0.521 (33rd)
  • US      0.454 (63rd)

I'm not sure what to make of that, but I find it interesting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've mentioned this before, and I think I've linked to the page, too.

I've been following the UN World Happiness Report for years. It's a look into that thing which freedom loving Americans are guaranteed the right, but not the ability, to pursue. There's a ranking chart 2/3rd's down the following webpage. It shows overall happiness and several of the components that make up that metric. Click on the "Freedom to make life choices" column until it's in descending order. Then go find China and the US.

No freedom = 0, full freedom = 1. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

For those who're too busy to look:

• China 0.521 (33rd)
  • US      0.454 (63rd)

I'm not sure what to make of that, but I find it interesting.

one has more spoiled and the other doesn't?

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

This guy always has the most interesting interviews..

This one has been very informative and educational to watch..I'm still in the process of watching it because it is pretty long, but well worth watching..I figured,this would be a really good place to share..

There is one part where they are talking about, too much emphasis is being put on a vaccine as the savior, which is going to be at the earliest, 12 to 18 months, rather than the drugs that are just a few months away that they have but need to finish being tested.. Antivirals that will help stop the virus, just like antibiotics that help stop bacterial infections..

it's just been really interesting so far and I think they can give a bit of a better picture of things..

Biowarfare Experts On Coronavirus (COVID19)- Dr. Gerald Parker, Associate Dean for Global One Health at Texas A&M, and Professor Andrew S Natsios, Executive Professor at The Bush School and Director of the Scowcroft Institute of International Affairs.

I don't think the US could enforce a full lock down.  They can't even keep the darn college kids from partying on the beaches in Florida. 

A 'Shelter in Place' order for non-essential outings is the best we'll ever get and I'm not sure that is fully appropriate.  I'd hate to tell the old lady next door that she won't be getting her weekly delivery of pre-cooked meals from the business that cooks them.  Instead she'll have to rely on charities that may or may not be able to handle the extra load, and/or her neighbors - assuming she's willing to swallow her pride enough (before it is too late) to let more of them know that she relies on food deliveries for eating. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

if you look at the graphs: China was late in enforcing, but came down very hard when it did. Now they have no new cases.

yes partly.. but they also openly told they stopped nearly all testing,  many european health institutes don't trust the current figures there.

Not that all europeans are doing it wise.. in the Netherlands they only test when they'r pretty sure you have it ...our figures are ridicously low..except the mortality rate compared to our neighbour lands,  so we know it's  not the reality, the infection is a lot more spread than they want us to believe . Many press releases are to calm the crowd, and sometimes seem to have more attention to economical issues.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'd be happy to hear any alternative to the hammer & dance thing (if that's what you are referring to) to save the 1st amendment AND prevent the epidemic from flaring up again. Until then, it's your 1st amendment saved and your life lost OR the 1st amendment lost and your life saved.

• Like 4

I know Americans think their country is the only one in the world, and that all SL people are really Americans at heart.  But you are wrong.  There IS life outside of Kentuckiy...

The only way for any people to keep a majority alive until a vaccine is available is full lockdown social distancing, and any politician telling you otherwise is an imbecile.  Anything else overwhelms any medical support, no matter how rich your insurance investors are.  You might die keeping your precious 1st Amendment (whatever that is).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I think those amendments over there have probably been responsible for more deaths than this virus is going to achieve! 

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

did you see Australia yesterday? they don't have that many infections yet.. but won't take long if they keep this behavior

e822b5714a3f7a05d7a71469bd98b1c5.jpg

Ever since binge watching 'Bondi Rescue', I can't help but look for people drowning out there! 

• Like 1

Do you have three to eight weeks of food, medication and other supplies as well as the storage space for it? If you do then whoopdie doo! You're lucky.

Not everyone can do so, be it for financial reasons, logistic reasons or both.

For me? Even pooling together the resources available between myself and the others I live with, we'd be lucky to be able to amass the supplies we'd need - which does include medication. As far as storage goes? We'd have to take up floor space in the apartment itself.

The store room in the basement is prone to flooding when it rains and the 'common area' spaces have been taken up by things belonging to our upstairs neighbors. This includes a good chunk of the garage space.

If anyone is confused: This building is a two story house that was converted into two identical two bedroom apartments. In addition to the entry area (thankfully not cluttered up) the shared spaces include the attached garage (supposed to be split between the apartments) and the main basement area (where there are hookups for a washer and dryer per unit as well as two wash basins and the HVAC units).

Most of that basement space has been taken up by the upstairs neighbors' belongings - no idea what half of it is and I frankly do not care. It is bad enough that even if we had our own washer and dryer (we don't, they do) we'd not be able to use them. As it is, we'd have to move their stuff to install them.

Heaven forbid we try to talk to them ... The last time was a disaster and a half and made it quite clear we were dealing with people who believe they own the bloody building.

TL:DR - The petition can rot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Do you have three to eight weeks of food, medication and other supplies as well as the storage space for it? If you do then whoopdie doo! You're lucky.

Not everyone can do so, be it for financial reasons, logistic reasons or both.

For me? Even pooling together the resources available between myself and the others I live with, we'd be lucky to be able to amass the supplies we'd need - which does include medication. As far as storage goes? We'd have to take up floor space in the apartment itself.

The store room in the basement is prone to flooding when it rains and the 'common area' spaces have been taken up by things belonging to our upstairs neighbors. This includes a good chunk of the garage space.

If anyone is confused: This building is a two story house that was converted into two identical two bedroom apartments. In addition to the entry area (thankfully not cluttered up) the shared spaces include the attached garage (supposed to be split between the apartments) and the main basement area (where there are hookups for a washer and dryer per unit as well as two wash basins and the HVAC units).

Most of that basement space has been taken up by the upstairs neighbors' belongings - no idea what half of it is and I frankly do not care. It is bad enough that even if we had our own washer and dryer (we don't, they do) we'd not be able to use them. As it is, we'd have to move their stuff to install them.

Heaven forbid we try to talk to them ... The last time was a disaster and a half and made it quite clear we were dealing with people who believe they own the bloody building.

TL:DR - The petition can rot.

I assume you don’t have a vehicle.

Just now, Pamela Galli said:

I assume you don’t have a vehicle.

Personally? I'm legally blind.

Between the rest of those I live with? One. And it's irrelevant as having a vehicle does not alleviate the storage situation. And no, renting a storage space somewhere else is not an option. Nor is using said vehicle as storage.

• Thanks 1

It feels like ... Christmas! 

I do not like Christmas. It brings out the worst in people, but I console myself with the fact it only lasts for a couple of days really, and all the pushing in the shops and the greed is soon over.

As a friend pointed out to me today, all those who have been tightly packed up queuing for things have not been adhering to current government guidelines of keeping a safe distance from other people, isolating as much as possible, hand washing, etc. 

I've become paranoid about what they call street furniture, particularly push buttons to activate the pedestrian crossing lights, so I am playing chicken with cars instead. The car drivers (particularly of a Jaguar) grinned as he accelerated, and then his face dropped when he realised he could lip read very well. 

Lovely chap running a small general store on the way home tonight has bread! Fresh gorgeous bread!! Believe me, in my home town it is easier to score cocaine at the moment.  But I got a lovely fresh loaf of bread - all I wanted for Christmas really. 

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Personally? I'm legally blind.

Between the rest of those I live with? One. And it's irrelevant as having a vehicle does not alleviate the storage situation. And no, renting a storage space somewhere else is not an option. Nor is using said vehicle as storage.

So because you have no room to store food in your apt., millions can die. 

OK

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I know Americans think their country is the only one in the world, and that all SL people are really Americans at heart.  But you are wrong.  There IS life outside of Kentuckiy...

The only way for any people to keep a majority alive until a vaccine is available is full lockdown social distancing, and any politician telling you otherwise is an imbecile.  Anything else overwhelms any medical support, no matter how rich your insurance investors are.  You might die keeping your precious 1st Amendment (whatever that is).

...and Kentucky is not all of America.  Everyone looks at the world through their own parochial glasses.

I agree with the "hammer and dance" approach.  Extreme social distancing is needed, and needed now. 

Here is the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The reason it's crept into the discussion is the "freedom of assembly" provision (and the "free exercise of religion" clause too).  One interpretation would lead you to believe that the government can't forbid people to congregate in groups, as many state and local authorities have already done.  Another take on it would say that while Congress cannot make such a law, other governmental arms could restrict free assembly in some way...as has, in fact, been happening.  Still another interpretation would mean that only assemblies "to petition the government" are covered.

No matter your interpretation of the First Amendment, the virus doesn't give a damn.  It will happily spread from one person to another.  The only way to stop it is to stop people from interacting for a while.

Note that nobody has said you can NOT go out to buy food, get medicine, conduct essential work, or help others.  Those screaming "give me liberty or give me death" are playing the virus's game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.