Room Design on a Budget

rileyxrose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought it would be fun to design a room on a tight budget.  My goal was to try to keep it under $60L & 60LI

Thanks to being a freebie hunter, and finding some deals on the marketplace, I managed to design a kitchen for $23L and a 55 LI.

Would love to see anyone else's frugal and beautiful space.

Home Kitchen on a budget Photo #3Home Kitchen on a budget Photo #2Home Kitchen on a budget Photo #1

• Like 17

16 hours ago, rileyxrose said:

That is beautiful! Never heard of the designer Bee...now have to go bargain hunting there. 

Can't wait to see some other beautiful & frugal spaces.  So inspirational and fun :)

You might want to pay careful attention to the complexity of some of the items there -- number of triangles/vertices and amount of textures used is really high on some items.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You might want to pay careful attention to the complexity of some of the items there -- number of triangles/vertices and amount of textures used is really high on some items.  

This is true, which is why I was especially pleased with how low this came in. For myself, I always get killed with the cute gachas,lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Still very new to SL and the issue of complexity is something I need to learn more about.  Right now managing prims, aesthetics and a personal budget (which I completely just blew for a bedroom set) is a learning curve for me.  With that said, I enjoy reading everyone's comments as I learn something from everyone.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rileyxrose said:

Still very new to SL and the issue of complexity is something I need to learn more about.  Right now managing prims, aesthetics and a personal budget (which I completely just blew for a bedroom set) is a learning curve for me.  With that said, I enjoy reading everyone's comments as I learn something from everyone.

It takes a while to learn what to check for and how to figure out what is good, so-so, or bad.  LI alone is not the only indicator.  Edit an item and look at how dense or not the mesh is - the wire-frame like view that you see. Items do not necessarily need to be super dense (lots of tiny triangles) to look good. Firestorm has a feature that will let you see more details about the mesh -- not sure if the SL viewer has it or not. Anyway, right click an item and select More / More / Inspect.  That will tell you how many triangles & vertices that an item has and how many textures and how much memory those textures are using.  You can view that info for an entire object or for individual linked pieces of an object. It is hard to specifically say that a certain triangle count is bad because it all depends on the item - the size of it and the type of detail needed.  After looking at lots of similar items though, you kind of start to get a feel for what is god or not.  One of the good mesh designers could probably explain it better - I only make super simple things for my personal use.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Thank you for the feedback LittleMe Jewell...wish I'd known that before tackling the bathroom. 

I don't have the exact prim count (not in world at the moment), but the cost was under $200L, and should be less than 50LI.

I was fortunate to find a nice bathroom with animations....the shower would not fit, so....my sweetie dropped the shower he had in the bathroom (which has tons of animations, low LI and was less than $200L), and I used the sink, toilet, lights, towel rack, toilet paper, waste basket, and hand towel from my set.   The bathtub was a $10L full per mesh (no animation) bathtub from the marketplace and modified by added texture, water, and steam.  In order to create a bathroom, I put up some simple prim walls with texture (texture was a lovely group gift from Texture Me True). 

The tray with candles and rose petals were part of a full perm spa set from {XO} (and the whole set is only $1L on the MP).

Since the view from the bathroom window was not to my liking, I made a semi-transparent prim and added mountain scenery (yes...my final happy place will be a log cabin in the woods...but this traditional is a good place for me to learn).  Semi-transparent allowed natural light to come in through the window (you can see it refracting off the steam coming from the tub).

Wish me luck in trying to keep the living room and bedroom costs lower (though I am close to accepting I will have to pay more if I want decent animations).

Feedback is appreciated....and can't want to see other peoples frugal spaces.

Bathroom View 2Bathroom View 2Bathroom View 1

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.