In the loop!

93YearOld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i'm quite some years over half what's expected, since my teens dealing with health issues .. and many don't understand when i say i wouldn't mind to be gone next year.. two years, or whenever the call comes.. my life's been good, bad, ups and downs, and i make it full everyday as it's the last.
I see daily how cruel life can be at my work, i don't feel the need to get to 100 for myself. When it's done... it's done.

Alwin, sending a big big big virtual hug, wishing you more ups than downs. I think we all know you're nice, don't need to say it . Remember your female avatar still has to date my husband's avi, so the log cabins release will be a great moment

• Like 5

I suspect I will miss out the release of the log cabins anyway. 

Because.......living in the Middle European Time Zone, nowadays releases tend to take place mostly during the time I am in bed. That seems to have changed since December, when the last big relase happened.

Last year I could see normal region releases at 7am my time as well as 7pm, but now they all seem to happen while I am asleep. All I can grab since then are abandoned ones. This, in fact, is a bit disappointing, even when I am aware that an abandoned one may also meet my taste. Abandoned does not mean "bad one" automatically. 

In the end....... all needed is a little luck :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Anidusa Carolina said:

I suspect I will miss out the release of the log cabins anyway. 

Because.......living in the Middle European Time Zone, nowadays releases tend to take place mostly during the time I am in bed. That seems to have changed since December, when the last big relase happened.

Last year I could see normal region releases at 7am my time as well as 7pm, but now they all seem to happen while I am asleep. All I can grab since then are abandoned ones. This, in fact, is a bit disappointing, even when I am aware that an abandoned one may also meet my taste. Abandoned does not mean "bad one" automatically. 

In the end....... all needed is a little luck :)

if they do it as earlier, it's a big release, won't be taken in a few minutes, ánd if it's gone, there are so many homes now, there's likely more abandons as after the first release.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if they do it as earlier, it's a big release, won't be taken in a few minutes, ánd if it's gone, there are so many homes now, there's likely more abandons as after the first release.

True, Alwin. But don't underestimate the level of demand, and there are much more people living in the diverse US time zones than in mine. The good thing about it is, the release of the cabins will get the game of homes moving. Lots of new abandoned homes and so on. And this is something to stay excited about, even if I'll miss it.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I think the point some (at least, me) are trying to make is that official news needs to be more accessible. No one is saying that Patch, et al, should not socialize. 

Yes. Second Life is a business, and there should be one official source of information that is updated frequently.

I have joined that group we talk about, I can not have it open and read it all the time. If some say that the group has so-and-so many members, I doubt it is many that actually follow and read all the the inworld group chat, all the time they are logged in.

Besides, why should they follow the sticky information thread on top here, when it is no fresh information in it?

And to add to frustration, information is given like a joke in that group, where it can spread as rumors. Why continue that practice? Does Second Life find it beneficial?

I do not like to be teased, only by a few friends. (Maybe)

19 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Schadenfreude is never pretty.  /me gets you some of your favorite tea.

Personally, I enjoy the hints, the flickr pics, etc.  And I love that Moles let us watch them build, and that Lindens joke around in whatever chat they like.  Including local, when they're around.

I love to watch the building too. We do not talk about that. I am not @Patch Linden's friend. @Patch Lindenis not my friend. We know nothing about each other. I do not want to be teased if I search for information.

Second Life claims that they had an estimated GDP of $500,000,000 (500 million US dollars)(Wikipedia). That is not a hobby project. I have signed in to Second Life, accepted their TOS, pays them real money. I want some information back from an official source. Is that so difficult?

A representative can have two hats. He can both be the funny joker in the group who love it this way, and a business representative that post short, weekly updates. I would like that. When I hear that the group get informal news, it makes me annoyed. Very annoyed.

Do I want him to quit posting in the group? Of course not. But we can manage to be both professional in one setting, and have a social persona in another.

• Like 16

I enjoy the Lindens and Moles interacting with the common folk of SL.  A thread started where Patch could interact when he has time and that would be inclusive to ALL of SL whether they are premium users or not... would be nice.  Many SL users with and without premium account do not  realize that there is such a beautiful community for premium users. Being "in the know" should be afforded to all users. 

• Like 3

It may not sound like it from my posts so far, but I do agree that it would be great if information about new theme releases were disseminated where it could be consulted at any time, via a blog or thread that all residents could bookmark and follow.  But I'm a pragmatist.  Since @Patch Linden clearly does not intend to ever do this, I've been trying to come up with workarounds.  And I've come up with another.

At some point, Patch's team makes decisions about new theme release timing.  The final decision may be Patch's sole call, but he MUST communicate the plan to his own team.  Could a member of that team take on the responsibility to maintain a "Release Timing" thread?    Right after this person hears something like: "OK, we're not going to release next week.  Let's see where we are next Thursday.", they could check with Patch verbally, and if he OKs it, they could post a 1-line update to a pinned "Release Timing" thread.

In the case above, a post just reading "There will be no log homes release next week <dates>".  would be great to see, with no comments allowed.

Of course, I wouldn't expect that the exact date/time of a major release would be announced there.  But even negative information - 'none this week' - is SO helpful.

@Whitney Linden is already identified with releases, and it would be wonderful if she did this.    If she wanted, she could use the same thread to inform the community if she knows ahead of time that there will be no single-region releases for a day or so.  But that would be gravy.

Actually, it would probably be best if LL uses a 'forum alt" Linden to do these posts, so that they're basically anonymous.  That way,  whoever's doing it won't be (even more) flooded with resident queries, and the responsibility to maintain this could seamlessly be assigned to different team members.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 3/20/2020 at 10:30 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

What magic method do you expect them to use?

A forum that only about 100 people read?

A blog that only half or less of the forum users read?

An inworld group that is inside the actual platform in question that over 4000 people read?

Magical telepathy that can reach everyone?

We really need a response emoji for "snarky"

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 4REIGN said:

I enjoy the Lindens and Moles interacting with the common folk of SL.  A thread started where Patch could interact when he has time and that would be inclusive to ALL of SL whether they are premium users or not... would be nice.  Many SL users with and without premium account do not  realize that there is such a beautiful community for premium users. Being "in the know" should be afforded to all users. 

This is no criticism of you but I do not think of us as 'common folk'.  We are paying customers, without whom Lindens would not exist as there would be no business.  Lindens are employees.  Granted, they have powers others do not have but that is just so they can do their job.  They are not gods, or royalty, or anything to put on a pedestal.  They work for us.  That is something they and we should never forget.

• Like 11

This is why I left a certain group... the negative responses to anything someone says... picking one term out of a post that had no negative connotation  to make a snarky rebuttal  did what exactly? Did it add anything to the topic or did it just make you feel good after a bad day? Common Folk: The masses. Just because u spend your money on SL means nothing.. u are common and not once did I say patch was royalty however, correct me if I am wrong but Patch among others are the ones who make the rules that GOVERN SL. Misery loves company.  As I mentioned before it would be nice to have a thread where ALL could go to  find out any information or participate in an open forum would be NICE.

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

This is no criticism of you but I do not think of us as 'common folk'.  We are paying customers, without whom Lindens would not exist as there would be no business.  Lindens are employees.  Granted, they have powers others do not have but that is just so they can do their job.  They are not gods, or royalty, or anything to put on a pedestal.  They work for us.  That is something they and we should never forget.

Please let me add a different point of view, Garnet.

Since Bellisseria gives me so much joy and helps me through rough RL times, I not only upgraded this account to premium, but have now several alts to happily live and decorate in this beautiful virtual world. So I hand LL quite a bit of money every month. But it makes me - maybe - feeling different unless I totally misunderstood what you wanted to say. I am grateful! I am grateful for the work each and every employee of LL, be it a Linden or a mole, does, even more so because I know I would never be able to do such a work myself. And just like I am grateful for the work a farmer does so I can have my potatoes and wheat, for the docs and nurses who keep my body functioning, the bus driver who gets me to where I have to go, the employees in the post office who get my letters and parcels to my family, the employees in the supermarket who fill up the shelves until their every bones are aching and the employees at the cashiers who show patience and try to smile facing a never ending line of impatient people. I know they all work because they have to pay their bills, care for their families and for themselves. And I benefit from their work, that's why I'm grateful. And whenever possible I try to show it, with a smile or a kind sentence, because I won't forget how I felt at work when I was at the receiving end of kindness. The dullest, most exhausting work felt rewarding when people acknowledged the effort I put in and that it helped to keep the project running. That feedback gave me energy and joy. But I also remember how it felt when people let me know that it's not enough or good enough for their standards and to them it never was no matter the circumstances or what I did. And sometimes perfection was not possible, no matter how hard we all tried. We don't know what is going on at Linden Lab, how they struggle, at work or at home, what worries and workload they have to carry. But we know that we still get Linden homes built for us and that SL is still running (which is a miracle in itself for me when I think how often my darn new PC or router stops working). For that I am grateful!

Of course it would be wonderful if there would be a short sentence in his thread when Patch definitely knows that there won't be a log home release this and/or the next week. It would help with waiting and with organizing my spare time since I can't follow group chat. But I don't expect him to do it because I am a paying customer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@oLaBella thank you for giving us a different perspective, and I'd like to think we can all still be good people especially in RL. 💜

The point I was trying to make was that some residents, in a group, were given snippets of information, that should have been made available to us all. If we've paid for Premium, we should all be treated the same. 

We are all pretty much in the same boat right now, with regard to RL, and there will no doubt be more of us playing SL for longer periods of time. I am very aware that the Moles and Lindens have been very busy recently, and I have always appreciated them (I joined back in 2007) and what they provide for us in world, but we should, as residents, be given the same information whether it be a small thing, or not. 

Granny says stay safe everyone, and wash your hands.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, 93YearOld said:

@oLaBella thank you for giving us a different perspective, and I'd like to think we can all still be good people especially in RL. 💜

The point I was trying to make was that some residents, in a group, were given snippets of information, that should have been made available to us all. If we've paid for Premium, we should all be treated the same. 

We are all pretty much in the same boat right now, with regard to RL, and there will no doubt be more of us playing SL for longer periods of time. I am very aware that the Moles and Lindens have been very busy recently, and I have always appreciated them (I joined back in 2007) and what they provide for us in world, but we should, as residents, be given the same information whether it be a small thing, or not. 

Granny says stay safe everyone, and wash your hands.

Thank you for opening this thread! It gave us all the opportunity to sort our thoughts and share our point of views and our feelings. Communication is so important and we should share what bothers us, no matter who it is and what it is about. Only then do we have the chance to rethink, reevaluate or to decide we stick to what we think/believe because it fits us, our experiences and our lives best. I learned a lot here and I don't think my opinion should be the way to go for everyone else.  Each of us has his/her own weight to carry and cope with life as best as we can. And I don't think this discussion was about right or wrong or better, superior or anything the like.  I am convinced we are all good people, here and in RL, no matter if we agree or not. And most important, as I'm a bit worried now my post to Garnet came across like that, I do not think I am a better person. I am not!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, oLaBella said:

Thank you for opening this thread! It gave us all the opportunity to sort our thoughts and share our point of views and our feelings. Communication is so important and we should share what bothers us, no matter who it is and what it is about. Only then do we have the chance to rethink, reevaluate or to decide we stick to what we think/believe because it fits us, our experiences and our lives best. I learned a lot here and I don't think my opinion should be the way to go for everyone else.  Each of us has his/her own weight to carry and cope with life as best as we can. And I don't think this discussion was about right or wrong or better, superior or anything the like.  I am convinced we are all good people, here and in RL, no matter if we agree or not. And most important, as I'm a bit worried now my post to Garnet came across like that, I do not think I am a better person. I am not!

You have said it so much better than I could, thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oLaBella said:

Please let me add a different point of view, Garnet.

Since Bellisseria gives me so much joy and helps me through rough RL times, I not only upgraded this account to premium, but have now several alts to happily live and decorate in this beautiful virtual world. So I hand LL quite a bit of money every month. But it makes me - maybe - feeling different unless I totally misunderstood what you wanted to say. I am grateful! I am grateful for the work each and every employee of LL, be it a Linden or a mole, does, even more so because I know I would never be able to do such a work myself. And just like I am grateful for the work a farmer does so I can have my potatoes and wheat, for the docs and nurses who keep my body functioning, the bus driver who gets me to where I have to go, the employees in the post office who get my letters and parcels to my family, the employees in the supermarket who fill up the shelves until their every bones are aching and the employees at the cashiers who show patience and try to smile facing a never ending line of impatient people. I know they all work because they have to pay their bills, care for their families and for themselves. And I benefit from their work, that's why I'm grateful. And whenever possible I try to show it, with a smile or a kind sentence, because I won't forget how I felt at work when I was at the receiving end of kindness. The dullest, most exhausting work felt rewarding when people acknowledged the effort I put in and that it helped to keep the project running. That feedback gave me energy and joy. But I also remember how it felt when people let me know that it's not enough or good enough for their standards and to them it never was no matter the circumstances or what I did. And sometimes perfection was not possible, no matter how hard we all tried. We don't know what is going on at Linden Lab, how they struggle, at work or at home, what worries and workload they have to carry. But we know that we still get Linden homes built for us and that SL is still running (which is a miracle in itself for me when I think how often my darn new PC or router stops working). For that I am grateful!

Of course it would be wonderful if there would be a short sentence in his thread when Patch definitely knows that there won't be a log home release this and/or the next week. It would help with waiting and with organizing my spare time since I can't follow group chat. But I don't expect him to do it because I am a paying customer.

If you think I'm not grateful for the existence of Second Life or the work of Linden Lab staff then you're wrong, and you're also wrong if you think I have no understanding of what their lives are like.  I do expect the staff to be professional; don't you?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i have no issue with any Linden engaging in inworld groups or public chat

like OP tho I think that any conversation should be echoed on the official blog or a forum post as well

i think it should be other way round, first the official and after that the echo in the gossip channel.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, 4REIGN said:

This is why I left a certain group... the negative responses to anything someone says... picking one term out of a post that had no negative connotation  to make a snarky rebuttal  did what exactly? Did it add anything to the topic or did it just make you feel good after a bad day? Common Folk: The masses. Just because u spend your money on SL means nothing.. u are common and not once did I say patch was royalty however, correct me if I am wrong but Patch among others are the ones who make the rules that GOVERN SL. Misery loves company.  As I mentioned before it would be nice to have a thread where ALL could go to  find out any information or participate in an open forum would be NICE.

If you're aiming at me then you're wasting ammunition.  There was nothing snarky in my comment, and it was not a 'rebuttal', or did you decide to ignore what I said about it not being a criticism?  I did not say that you said Patch was royalty.  You are misrepresenting me.  As for making the rules, well, I fail to see what that has to do with my expectation that the money I pay Linden Lab will result in a professional service.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I am not going to post updates, when I have no official updates to post.   You are all looking to me for information.   That information is a date of intended release.  I will never give you that.  If I started posting release dates, and we miss them, then what sort of ire and bad sentiment will that generate?   Right now, in a less than your perfect world of ideals, I hint, or joke around, and sometimes drop some tidbits of information sprinkled around all over the place.   Can you believe I get complaints about that?  I have even received complaints and directed anger about the use of too many Soon™'s, so I've even stopped that at this point.   Some one made the point that we might just regress and pull everything back, and yes, this is the path that leads us back down that road to total non-engagement.   Since we just can't have nice things, I suppose I will have to digress.  Our new communication system is pretty close to being deployed, and when I feel there is an important enough update other than Soon™ or Not this Week™, I will make a real forum post update.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@Patch Linden, first, thank you for your update

Our request was getting info here in a channel where everybody can read it rather than in an inworld chat. Some of us, like myself, live in different time zones or do not pay attention to the chat itself 

Even just like a short reply like yours today (Nope) is welcome 

And we all understand how hard working on a release must be with all this situation. We all agreed the most important thing was both Lindens and Moles to get ready for the RL situation 

Again thank and please be safe

Un abrazo desde España 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 7

I want to take the opportunity to thank @Patch Linden, Moles, and every LL staff that are working on the new Linden Homes.  Keep up the great work! 🙂

Everyone who wants to complain that the homes aren't coming out fast, think about how it would feel when people come after you for not getting your stuff done quickly.  Give them some slack. They work 7 days a week getting everything all set up and making sure that the regions are operational and that the ideal look that we want to see comes out amazing.  Rather they take their time to make sure that everything is fully functional than having them release something that might come with issues that could cause future delays in other regions. I understand everyone is eager to get the new homes, and I can see why because they are amazing!  My suggestion for everyone is to let them do their job and as soon as they are ready to release them, I'm sure they will make some announcement on the official page. So please give them the space and be patient. 🙂

Edited by Coolnet Ordinary
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.