In the loop!

93YearOld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, so here is an old ladies take on a current topic.

Having read a few threads, it seems that only 'some' get to be notified, in some group chats, that things are happening/progressing etc with regard to Bellisseria homes. If we have all paid to be Premium members, why aren't we all treated with the same respect as to what is going on? If you have to join a 'specific' group to be up to date in LH news, there is something wrong. I tried one group, as have others, and found it full of banal chat, sexual innuendos, subjects that were only known to a few, and frankly ignored when I tried to join their chat. 

Shoot this old lady down if you have to, but be grateful if you even reach my age!

Edited by 93YearOld
Spelling error
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I think it impairs the business of Second Life when some employees are cozy in private groups. But I can understand the satisfaction when they say a word and everybody fall over them selves to come with flattery. After all, this is the age where adult people, not just kids, crave instant gratification.

There are official blogs, and there is no need to write 2 pages of text, when they can write the same sentence they post in that group.

Also, we have a thread where @Patch Lindencould post just the same as he said in group: "There will be no releases of Log Homes this week". There. Not hard, is it?

He can also do both, be active in a group and make short posts. It looks more mature - more like a business.

Edited by Marianne Little
added the last 2 sentences
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

At this point I don't care.

I get that feeling Garnet

Well, I think I was pretty clear on my previous post. Granny´s and Marianne's words couldn't be better. Between my RL situation and all this 'not getting the updates', I've started to lose interest in cabins. I hope I can get it back....

Since I've been at home for a week, I thought I could be on track on notifications, it seems I was wrong.. Oh well, let's swim in my SL river... 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 8

Put me down as another who is starting to not care about when the log cabins will be released.  Or perhaps I am trying to convince myself I do not care as my inworld time has been cut back to almost nothing because of poor internet performance. 

Even though I live in the center of a town of about 20,000 people in a former first world country my internet is only usable early in the morning and by 5pm goes away completely only to return sometime after I go to bed.  This is partly due to load on the system, sub-par cable in our neighborhood and rather heavy internet usage by my husband.  But I have an agreement with hubby that he can have the meager bandwidth currently available in the hours when we are still able to connect for his use if I can have first dibs on it once the new homes are released.  

But if I need to be inworld to know when that is going to happen or to know when to watch for an announcement then I will miss the release if the houses go as quickly as the houseboat or camper releases did, as the official announcement usually does not show up until after the homes have been released.

I don't want to hijack this thread - but have been wanting to ask if other people have been experiencing problems with lower quality or non-existent internet connections?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

I don't want to hijack this thread - but have been wanting to ask if other people have been experiencing problems with lower quality or non-existent internet connections?

I live in a rural area with only one viable option for internet, and it's slow. So the following won't apply to me, but it might for you.

In light of recent RL events many providers are upping their speeds, opening their WiFi hotspots to the public, and offering low-cost internet options. Some companies are lifting data caps. Comcast/Xfinity, for one, and Sprint and T-Mobile for cell service. Maybe one of those would help you, if temporarily.

Article with list (may contain ads)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Re: topic:

I'm in the inworld Citizens group. I enjoy it, and appreciate the interaction we get from the blue-texters. 

Having said that, I agree with this and the other posts suggesting pertinent info be on an official channel/thread/etc for everyone to read. Misinformation spreads faster than facts and it would be nice when someone asks for the umpteenth time about releases to have an official link to give them for info, even if it's a quick blurb from Patch. 

I'm glad he does drop in there, and enjoy the Moles chatting time to time because it's not something I've experienced before in the years I've been in SL. But if they want to maximize the publicity and avoid rumors, it should be info accessible to everyone.

• Like 14

Thank you, Hendrix for that list - my internet provider is Wave in the Pacific northwest area of the US, and is not even on the list.  And we pay extra for a higher data usage, so that adds to my frustration.

Oh well, I am relearning how to live without SL and the internet - and others will have a better chance at getting good locations if I am not able to be online to claim any when they are released :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

Thank you, Hendrix for that list - my internet provider is Wave in the Pacific northwest area of the US, and is not even on the list.  And we pay extra for a higher data usage, so that adds to my frustration.

Oh well, I am relearning how to live without SL and the internet - and others will have a better chance at getting good locations if I am not able to be online to claim any when they are released :)

Maybe call your provider directly and see if they're offering anything? Or see if you can pick up an Xfinity wifi hotspot?

• Like 1

As someone that always works during Linden business hours, I can't be in group chat during the times when other members are to receive news & updates. I would appreciate it if they posted it on the blog and/or post here on the forum, or nothing at all. All residents should be treated equally -- unofficial channels should not be used.

• Like 5

Second Life is currently seeing an increase in concurrent users, with so many people being restricted to their homes. This can have an impact on performance, in addition to network bandwidth issues.

To deal with lag, I have tried the following, with at least some success:

1. Hooking up to ethernet through the router vs. wifi
  2. Turning off/unplugging devices from the local network (I've got about 10 attached to wifi even when my husband isn't home).
  3. Rebooting the router.
  4. Enabling the UDP and TCP ports on the router needed to optimize running Second Life.
  5. Close all group chats.
  6. Disable or take off AO's.
  7. Reduce graphics quality.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

unofficial channels should not be used.

true.. but they will miss the ohs and ahs from the groupies.

In the so called "official" thread , as posted by Marianne, there's no single post about the new Loghomes. Again a dump of info on the residents and than dead.
Not surprised.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

Please excuse my misbehavior - I will not post in the forums again.  I forgot that they are only for a select group as well.

No need to flounce, Alwin was just being an old crank, as he does. Put him on ignore or play along, whichever you prefer. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

What magic method do you expect them to use?

A forum that only about 100 people read?

A blog that only half or less of the forum users read?

An inworld group that is inside the actual platform in question that over 4000 people read?

Magical telepathy that can reach everyone?

Perhaps you are being rhetorical since you have asked this and been answered (more than once) previously.

The point, aside from anyone's personal dislike for that group,  is that not everyone can be online when a nugget of official news is dropped into the in world group. Why does it bother  you so to consider other suggestions, such as, oh, I dunno, the forums or a blog, where EVERYONE can access the info if they wish?

Do you enjoy being part of the exclusive little club, or would you rather that the process of giving out information include (potentially) ALL residents? 

P.S. You keep quoting the size of the group membership, like that guarantees that all the members are online at the precise moment that Patch speaks. That is flawed logic. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.