Will Linden Lab ever make an app for Second Life?

BanksyB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

44 minutes ago, Tholan Nohkan said:

I'm hoping apple uses machine learning, to teach an artificial intelligence to reprogram the official viewer into completely proper native m1/metal code in 800 milliseconds. (I have a Mac Studio on order)

Depending on what you switch from, but the Mac Studio is only going to run the viewer slightly faster than the Mac Mini M1 since the single core performance is virtually identical on the two machines.  Given that the viewer runs under Rosetta2 translation it is bound to one processor core. The additional GPU cores will help some, but only to the saturation of the core Rosetta2 runs on.

You can test my preview viewer downloadable from https://www.dayturn.com/viewer/index.php?resources/ which is more optimized for the Mac than any other viewer. It is of course not Apple Silicon native. (6-10 man year effort in my estimation to write one).

5 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

Bwahaha, wrong tree, dog!  :P The roadmap still stands but things may change.  Watch for updates, monitor the user groups...

dang dawg, thought you had this,  because I hear you do all the things and be like the top hottest in the lab.  (I'm attempting to remember my teen lingo from the 90's lol)

I don't actually think that there is enough demand from people for what will be just a text based client to justify what will be quite some serious development costs. From my experience of text based clients and those using them have been of orange clouds that go offline if the app no longer is running in the foreground and a very poor user experience from the UI.

I am sure that some people do want and would indeed use a mobile client but that's is tiny fraction of the population and there are already mobile offerings.

44 minutes ago, Colt Leeder said:

I don't actually think that there is enough demand from people for what will be just a text based client to justify what will be quite some serious development costs. From my experience of text based clients and those using them have been of orange clouds that go offline if the app no longer is running in the foreground and a very poor user experience from the UI.

I am sure that some people do want and would indeed use a mobile client but that's is tiny fraction of the population and there are already mobile offerings.

Currently Second Life (and Opensim) requires a persistent connection and that is less than ideal for a mobile client in that it both gobbles up (metered) traffic and prevents the client to sleep to conserve battery. It also requires login to a specific location (simulator) burning CPU and occupying agent slots.

For something like this to work and scale, you probably would have to log these clients into a separate, chat-only environment, where they were not visible in the region as rendered avatars, and push messages to the client only when new messages became available without persisting the connection. 

22 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

monitor the user groups...

^^ this. dawgs!

😸

altho to be fair to Gavin, am pretty sure Gavin is some kind of cat avatar, as I remember (might of been a tiger, can't remember ) from last seeing them inworld. Which was ages ago, about 2010

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

^^ this. dawgs!

😸

altho to be fair to Gavin, am pretty sure Gavin is some kind of cat avatar, as I remember (might of been a tiger, can't remember ) from last seeing them inworld. Which was ages ago, about 2010

Cat avatar? 🤣 – That has absolutely never happened. 😎

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.