Posted (edited)

Though many have said my thoughts more succinctly I thought I would jump in for a moment with my thoughts. 

I play as a child avatar who is about 11 or 12 years old. I doubt she'll get older and I know she won't get any younger. I enjoy it more than being an adult, and no I do not want to be a child nor was my childhood 'broken' in any way. I'm really into roleplaying and playing for some reason makes me feel more comfortable being exuberant, talkative, and outgoing. I love it and wouldn't spend my SL days any other way. My character has her own extensive backstory, dreams, and goals and, when I'm in the right headspace feels alive to me. I can really disappear into her unlike I ever could playing as an adult. As an adult, it was always easy to project myself onto my avatar, which for me was bad for RPing. But with my current character? Well, that's not a problem. She feels more like a reminiscence of childhood that I tap into when I log on.  

As my avatar, I do not do the whole family RP thing. It works for some, perhaps even many, but for me, it seems too restricting. I want to play a carefree and exuberant child, not login to be babied by virtual parents. On a similar note, I see some people in the thread say they don't hang out with child avatars, and really I can understand why. Though my reasoning may be very different from theirs. As child avatar, I don't hang out with toddler or baby avatars because we are RPing two completely different worlds (and honestly baby/toddler talk annoys me, but to each their own, obviously). I imagine the same can easily be said about an adult avie being best friends with a kid. Not only could it possibly look weird, but it probably wouldn't mesh RP-wise. I've adapted a "talk to those who seem friendly" attitude. I have many acquaintances, from kids to adults but I wouldn't go far as to call any of them friends to my avie despite being on my Friends list. And this works out well for me as my character is a bit of an energetic vagrant intent on her own dreams. 

Now...Having said that, SL has a problem. And that problem begins with age and ends with play. I noticed it shortly after getting my avatar set up to the way she is now. It's at the point where I block first and wonder later if I misconstrued the person's message, but so far this strategy has served me well. It also helps that I refuse to go on A-rated sims (as all child avies should - a child, toddler or anyone playing under 18 has no excuse whatsoever to venture into that side of SL!) and avoid what I believe are hotspots for the bad sort - like playgrounds or anything in the search for locations that brings up the words children and or "little avies" in the description of the spot. 

The way I look at it, the people who do bad are the problem, not the people who play as children - at least the TOS abiding ones, and therefore I won't change how I spend my Second Life because some people view the whole community as weird. 

All I hope is that more people would understand that not everyone who RPs as a kid is crazy, a deviant, a drama-stirrer or has an awful childhood of their own. I really see it no differently than the MANY SL users who RP as gorgeous, fresh-faced 20-something-year-old bombshells when in real life they are completely average and more than likely past their twenties, and living a far less glamorous life than they portray on SL. Or those who decide to play as animals. Just because some child avatars are at best annoying and at worst immoral sickos doesn't mean you should paint us all in one big swoop. Get to know someone before you make a judgment...

And this thread is doing just that! Letting both sides voice their opinion and (mostly) be civil about it, so thank you @Jaylah Sass for that! 

Edited by gudetama00
certain words were censored, changed it!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Really interesting thread to read through.I must admit, I'm one of those people whose initial reaction to the idea of adults playing as child avatars is to be creeped out. But since encountering this phenomenon in-world I've tried to understand the appeal and reasoning behind it better.

I think I understand now that it can provide a healthy outlet or escape for some people, just as exploring a different gender or turning into a wolf or a cat can be for others? I guess with child avatars I understand the longing for a return to a more innocent, less-complicated and stress-free time in life. Or if you weren't fortunate enough to have a nice childhood, then the opportunity to relive that moment again and right that wrong? That makes sense.

Of course in all those examples there will be an element of people who try to use this to satisfy something others may find distasteful. But yes, there are so many different reasons behind why someone wold choose to play as a child avatar, that it isn't fair to make sweeping generalisations about the entire community. 

I guess I would just appeal to anyone who does to be very mindful about what sims you inhabit and which people you engage with. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MayaSmit said:

I guess with child avatars I understand the longing for a return to a more innocent, less-complicated and stress-free time in life.

I feel like I can vouch for this reasoning, at least for me personally.

• Like 4

An acquaintance of mine plays a young-teen avatar, around 13 or 14 years old. About 2 years ago we got talking about it and he persuaded me to give it a try, so I made up a "teen-me" avatar, to look how I would envisage my avatar if it was 13.

First thing he did was take me to a "kids beach community" which looked decidedly dodgy, and within ten minutes of being there, both my acquaintance and one other person (also with a kid avatar) was flirting with me in a way no 13-year-old ever should.

I teleported away, blocked them all, reported the venue and will not touch that with a ten-foot barge-pole ever again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

An acquaintance of mine plays a young-teen avatar, around 13 or 14 years old. About 2 years ago we got talking about it and he persuaded me to give it a try, so I made up a "teen-me" avatar, to look how I would envisage my avatar if it was 13.

First thing he did was take me to a "kids beach community" which looked decidedly dodgy, and within ten minutes of being there, both my acquaintance and one other person (also with a kid avatar) was flirting with me in a way no 13-year-old ever should.

I teleported away, blocked them all, reported the venue and will not touch that with a ten-foot barge-pole ever again.

@Matty LuminosSadly not uncommon. Like I said in my original post, I think pretty much any place described as a "kid's place" in search is a hive for very seedy stuff! I hope you this experience didn't make you dislike all child avies. They're are some good ones out there, I promise. Just sometimes they are the less vocal and don't stand out as much. 

Edited by gudetama00
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, gudetama00 said:

I feel like I can vouch for this reasoning, at least for me personally.

I also have a child avi that I play most of the time and I agree with you and can vouch for this reasoning as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gudetama00 said:

I hope you this experience didn't make you dislike all child avies. They're are some good ones out there, I promise. 

It hasn't made me dislike them all but it has made me very wary of trusting ones that I don't know. I hang out at the Shelter a lot and there are at least two child avatars on the volunteer staff there. I would trust those two. I'd also trust @Marianne McCann because she's so well-known in the community even though I have not met her personally. But any others would have to earn my trust.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

It hasn't made me dislike them all but it has made me very wary of trusting ones that I don't know. I hang out at the Shelter a lot and there are at least two child avatars on the volunteer staff there. I would trust those two. I'd also trust @Marianne McCann because she's so well-known in the community even though I have not met her personally. But any others would have to earn my trust.

Understandable and really a good rule to go by on Second Life in general

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally feel that child avatars (particularly the toddler and young teens) being played by far older adults IRL is a bit... unease inducing to put it politely. While there are likely many reasons for doing so, it still is an adult behind the child avatar being portrayed and that brings up all kinds of displeasing concepts. Not to mention a huge majority of SL these days is heavily into the DDLG "Daddy Dom, Little Girl" kink and has completely over-sexualized the concept - thus blurring the lines of what even constitutes a child avatar further as well as turning what are ostensibly little girls into a glorified BDSM kink. I see many, many shops both in-world and on the marketplace taking things meant for children (pacifiers, baby blankets, hairstyles, etc) and making them into sex objects or tied to sex in some way too. Actual child avatars are few and far between - the majority of the 'young' avatars these days are found on sex sims from what I've been able to gather. Rarely do you see child avatars in places meant for children these days.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I took a couple of days to post this because I, honestly, I wasn't sure if I wanted to make this public of go straight to a Linden. I had to gather my thoughts and finally decided. In this public avenue all I'll say is that I'm no longer going to use my child avatar. Having people say it's weird really didn't phase me because I knew what my intentions were and still know there are good child avies out there. However, after late Friday (ironically not long after my last post here) I encountered something that made my skin crawl. I still know that there are good child avies out there but I can no longer participate in it knowing with my own two eyes now, the depravity some can go to. I'm not apart of the problem but I refuse to be lumped into a group like that simply out of commonality. And I don't wish to leave Second Life, so I guess it's time for a change. For  those here who wish to RP as a child (and aren't weirdos) I wish you the best but I can't anymore. Sorry for being so vague but trust I will not be with a Linden. I'm going to file a report ticket now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I have children that are grown and rp as a kid doesnt appeal to me.  Doing all the things i had to deal with as a kid myself or do raising them doesnt appeal to me. i dont have an issue as long as they are in the G and PG rated areas doing the family rp thing.  
But There is always someone who ruins good fun for eeveryone.  

Edited by ballparkdogg
More info

On 4/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, ChibiDragon007 said:

I personally feel that child avatars (particularly the toddler and young teens) being played by far older adults IRL is a bit... unease inducing to put it politely. While there are likely many reasons for doing so, it still is an adult behind the child avatar being portrayed and that brings up all kinds of displeasing concepts. Not to mention a huge majority of SL these days is heavily into the DDLG "Daddy Dom, Little Girl" kink and has completely over-sexualized the concept - thus blurring the lines of what even constitutes a child avatar further as well as turning what are ostensibly little girls into a glorified BDSM kink. I see many, many shops both in-world and on the marketplace taking things meant for children (pacifiers, baby blankets, hairstyles, etc) and making them into sex objects or tied to sex in some way too. Actual child avatars are few and far between - the majority of the 'young' avatars these days are found on sex sims from what I've been able to gather. Rarely do you see child avatars in places meant for children these days.

Out of curiosity, what types of places are you referring to that are meant for children?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaylah Sass said:

Out of curiosity, what types of places are you referring to that are meant for children?

Places like playground sims, adoption houses, etc. Sims explicitly tailored for child avatars I’ve noticed are full of single, adult avatars simply there to try and get sex out of the child avatars or flirt with them. It’s crazy. And gross. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/6/2020 at 5:56 AM, ChibiDragon007 said:

Places like playground sims, adoption houses, etc. Sims explicitly tailored for child avatars I’ve noticed are full of single, adult avatars simply there to try and get sex out of the child avatars or flirt with them. It’s crazy. And gross. 

So rather than blame the adults, you blame the kids.  You blame the folks going to those places for legit reasons for the creepos that show up.  Creepos who are violating TOS with their IM's, who DO get reported to Linden for it.

And then we have the issue of your fetshaming the BDSM community, and sub females looking for daddy doms.  You really don't know what you are talking about, and should go get an account at Fetlife just to educate yourself on topics you know very little about.

Finally, I suggest that anyone who has issues with roleplaying go take it up with their local Dungeons and Dragons Adventurers League.  I'm sure they'll greatly appreciate the attitude.  Be sure to yell at adults playing young characters, or kids playing as adults.  How dare they have fun, when everyone knows D & D is all about naked succubi and people into licking hairy hobbit feet.  You know, like SL is only about sex, spankings, and bragging about who's got the biggest Bellisseria "houseboat".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:27 AM, gudetama00 said:

I took a couple of days to post this because I, honestly, I wasn't sure if I wanted to make this public of go straight to a Linden. I had to gather my thoughts and finally decided. In this public avenue all I'll say is that I'm no longer going to use my child avatar. Having people say it's weird really didn't phase me because I knew what my intentions were and still know there are good child avies out there. However, after late Friday (ironically not long after my last post here) I encountered something that made my skin crawl. I still know that there are good child avies out there but I can no longer participate in it knowing with my own two eyes now, the depravity some can go to. I'm not apart of the problem but I refuse to be lumped into a group like that simply out of commonality. And I don't wish to leave Second Life, so I guess it's time for a change. For  those here who wish to RP as a child (and aren't weirdos) I wish you the best but I can't anymore. Sorry for being so vague but trust I will not be with a Linden. I'm going to file a report ticket now. 

So sorry to hear about this, and that it's ruining your fun to the extent that after posting such a wonderful post about how much you enjoy being a teen avi, you are now going to give that up.  My teen avi is the same age, would have loved to have met you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

So rather than blame the adults, you blame the kids.  You blame the folks going to those places for legit reasons for the creepos that show up.  Creepos who are violating TOS with their IM's, who DO get reported to Linden for it.

And then we have the issue of your fetshaming the BDSM community, and sub females looking for daddy doms.  You really don't know what you are talking about, and should go get an account at Fetlife just to educate yourself on topics you know very little about.

Finally, I suggest that anyone who has issues with roleplaying go take it up with their local Dungeons and Dragons Adventurers League.  I'm sure they'll greatly appreciate the attitude.  Be sure to yell at adults playing young characters, or kids playing as adults.  How dare they have fun, when everyone knows D & D is all about naked succubi and people into licking hairy hobbit feet.  You know, like SL is only about sex, spankings, and bragging about who's got the biggest Bellisseria "houseboat".

Those “babygirls” who dress like teenagers and are seeking “daddy doms” is and always will be over-sexualized and gross to me, at least as far as SL is concerned. People on SL have so over-sexualized the fresh faced teenage girl image to the point where you can’t even tell if a young looking girl avatar is a child or an adult. Its especially prevalent at those “adoption” places and Sims meant for that sort of kink, because they’re so stylized with childish objects, toys, etc. All things most people associate with children. Not adults. It’s gross and needs to stop. 

Provided that there's no sexualisation going on with the avatar or the way they behave, I don't have an issue with most child avatars, though I sometimes find the really young ones (with toddler-age avatars) to be rather creepy. More to do with the unnatural way they speak, more than their appearance.

I have dabbled with a teenage alt briefly, and joined a high-school roleplay, but I didn't enjoy it that much and gave up after about three months. I hated high school in RL and hoped that a roleplay school would be better but it was just boring (and it didn't help that most of the interesting and fun classes happened too late in the day for my timezone).

I don't encourage child avatars in my club (a jazz club with a bar is a place for adults, not kids) but there have been one or two and provided that they are appropriately dressed, refrain from using gestures and don't bring their roleplay with them, I would not ask them to leave.

• Like 1

Oh @gudetama00!  I am so sorry that you've decided to abandon your child avatar.  I hope you will reconsider.

I don't play a kid myself, and never have.  But I do know Marianne McCann and several of her child avatar friends.  They exemplify the lifestyle you described in your first post to this thread: "carefree and exuberant".  They are simply fun to be around!  I feel that it is the same for your inner child.

Yes indeed...some who play child avatars do so in order to roleplay in some very dark and creepy areas.  But then...so do an awful lot of people who are using adult avatars!  That doesn't stop the rest of us from being (relatively) upright and moral adults, or cause us to run off and abandon human roleplay altogether and be nonhuman avatars.

Don't let people with twisted minds mire you down in their own slime.  That is THEIR problem, and none of yours.

Be your inner child.

• Like 2

I think it is odd for an adult to play a child however there are even odder things that go in the adult areas that I cant even mention here.  Not sure if it could be done but roleplaying Within a dysfuctional family.. struggling with drugs or sexuality would seem interesting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rushingaround said:

roleplaying Within a dysfuctional family.. struggling with drugs or sexuality would seem interesting

Hmmm.  Well, yes, if you mean that in the sense of the old Chinese curse:  "May you live in interesting times."

Posted (edited)

A human child avatar I am not interested in.  

I do, however, a lot of the time am a Dinkie in SL which is a cat with human characteristics who wears clothes.  She is child-like to me and it helps me get in touch with my inner child.  She is adorkable in many ways and the Dinkie's and other tinies are so precious.  Most tinies are an animal but they have human characteristics and wear clothes.   There are other kinds of "tinies" besides Dinkies.  

To me, it's like she sees everything for the first time and has a wide-eyed wonder.  She is not tainted.  

I have choreographed dances for my Dinkie which are as cute as Shirley Temple.  (If you know who Shirley Temple is.)  And, the Dinkies dance quite well and can even do ballet very well.

There is no "sex play" in my SL Dinkie world.  I think it's a mistake to think that all avatars which may be child-like have sex play come into their world.  No one and I repeat no one has ever hit on me sexually as a Dinkie ever.  I've had two people say they want to adopt me but that is all and they told me they thought my Dinkie avatar was "adorable".  

I'm putting up a photo...I think she has a soul...many of us who are Dinkie's feel we have a soul.  Mine, to me, has a soul of wide-eyed wonder...child-like.  I had just rented this house and I decided to take a screenshot...I think the photo shows just a pure innocence which is quite beautiful.  It's an innocence I can't have again except once in a while through my Dinkie.   Her first decorating job on the house was to throw a bunch of pillows around on the floor and she was like, there I'm done.  She is care-free, happy and not pretentious.  

Screenshot (51).png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, gudetama00 said:

locations that brings up the words children and or "little avies" in the description of the spot.

Are you sure this is not "tinies" as opposed to "little avies" as you wrote above?

Tinies are mostly animals with human characteristics that wear clothes and walk upright like humans.  However, there are petite (very small) fairy avatars, flower avatars, all kinds of "tinies".  There are sims that are 'tiny friendly'.  Human teens are often welcome at tiny events also.  Most events in the tiny world are G to PG friendly.  

You need to be open to a lot of different kinds of tiny avatars if you get involved with the tiny avatar world...but again, most are not of a human body. 

(See my post and photo above this one about what a "tiny" is - most have a human soul but not a human body....except for a few human teens who hang out with us once in a while.)

I wanted to add:   You need to look for the sims that say "Family Friendly" "Tiny Friendly".  I think you do not know what tinies are as you say in your post you spend your SL alone.   Again, read my two posts above as to what "tinies" are.  If the land is rated A for Adult, skip it.  

I think you thought in your mind it said "little avies" when most likely it said "tiny friendly"...though most say "family friendly" "tiny friendly"...this does not mean child avatars.   It means tinies as I've explained in this post and the one above it.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was under 18 when I first joined Second Life, so was restricted to General rated regions. At first, I had an adult avatar, and I have to say I did not feel comfortable with it at all. Then I tried making my avatar look like me (16 at the time), which was fun for a while. But I felt most comfortable with a 10 - 11 year old avatar. And that's the look I stick with now.

I joined Second Life after stumbling across YouTube videos about a certain breedable pet, and I was like 'Wow, they're so cute. I have to check this out.' Those breedable animals were my only reason for joining Second Life, and in lots of ways still are. I tend to keep to myself - on my own land - looking after my foxes and cats. I made friends of course, mostly from the breedable community. Some were my age group in Real Life, some were Real Life adults, some were role players of all age ranges.

I also enjoy exploring the different regions - especially art and educational sims. I love creating in Second Life and made my own home and garden. I also love seeing what other people create. I meet people/avatars of all shapes, sizes and ages on my adventures, and rarely do I encounter problems like others on this thread have mentioned. Maybe that's because I stick to General (and some Moderate) only. Even though I'm now over 18, I block Adult rated areas both inworld and on marketplace. I just have no reason to venture to those places, and, as I'm playing a 10-11 year old, it really would not be appropriate.

When I was 10, I would not expect to be allowed inside a place for over 18s. As a 10 year old, I would not be interested in such places. I've not encountered any other SL children that do. Most seem to be like me, and stick to General and PG-13 areas only.

Having said that, when I was first able to teleport to Moderate rated regions, I did notice a lot of 'family friendly' regions rated Moderate, yet they clearly state in their rules the region is 'PG'. I remember when I was still under 18, I teleported to what I thought was a grid for children, only to find I was unable to enter at least half the regions due to the maturity rating. That left me wondering why someone would advertise a region as 'safe for children' and yet set it to over 18s only? Even today I'm still confused over that. Shouldn't all family friendly regions be General rated? After recently visiting several, I can't see anything that I had not already encountered on General sims.

That, really, is the only balagan I encounter: why say a region is family friendly and give it a Moderate rating?

I've also tend to create and/or modify my own clothing when I can, mostly because the fashion trend for Second Life children differs quite a lot from what real life children wear. The clothing I wear now (RL) is not really that much different to what I wore as a 10-year-old. There's a lot of doll-dress-up style outfits in Second Life that are more suited to the toddler range (and even then, I've not seen any three-year-olds in real life that are dressed like dolls), so I'm guessing there's a lot of genre overlap between those who want doll avatars, and those who want child avatars. The mesh bodies can be used for either. If I do buy clothing, it's usually outfits that are designed with the avatar mesh body I use in mind. I mix and match these outfits to create a 'realistic' look. Some toddler, child and teen mesh bodies also have clothing developer kits, which is really, really useful.

Occasionally I encounter clothing advertised as children's on marketplace which are definitely not child appropriate. I assume they're usually a mistake - being placed in the wrong category and given the wrong maturity rating. (I have 'adult' blocked in my marketplace searches, so I cannot comment on what A-rated items people may find though).

Generally, I've not encountered any major issues playing a 10-11 year-old in Second Life. I set my IM preferences to 'friends only'. Any stranger messaging me gets an auto-reply telling them to talk to me in nearby chat first. I've had my share of griefers and bullies, but they're easily blocked. I just wish we had a 'block and eject' function in real life too! x.D

Second Life has, for the most part, been quite safe for me as both someone who signed up while under 18, and as someone playing an 11-year-old. I've had far worse experiences on Facebook and Instagram.

Edited by Amethyst98
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is my avatar, James, who is a 9 year old boy using the Tweenster avi. 

898b4c19f1a1dcbb29262b501f954a51.jpg

I do have an adult big who I use for teaching at elementary schools and interacting with the family community with, but I spend the majority of my time on my child avi James. 

I've been in SL for about 2.5 years now and I have a SL mom and family. 

I primarily play a child avi to escape adult responsibilities in real life. SL is like a vacation for me and the two are completely separate. 

I'm not interested in sex, dating or romance in SL which seems to be so prevalent in world so being a kid avi is a good way to avoid all that. Primarily though, I enjoy the freedom and liberation that comes with being a child avi. You can be silly, goofy and care free and it is socially acceptable. It's all very innocent. 

Of course, everyone in the kid community knows we're all adults beyond the screen. We don't hide that, my profile even says (21+ IRL) so there is no deception going on. That's the beauty of SL, you can be whoever or whatever you want to be. 

With that said, I must say I am a little concerned at the amount of victim blaming going on. Child avis should be free to go into G rated zone, or any zone for that matter, without being perved on. That is the fault of the perpetrator, not the victim. 

Lastly, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about my experiences or thoughts and feelings. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1