Where are all the black and gay people of SL?

Raysa Jolbey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't help OP with their request, but I completely understand where it comes from. Just like it's nice to have friends who are interested in the same television series as you it is great to find people who have similar lives as you because there is just a connection there that others won't get. I fully support the LGBTQ community but I don't live it so in that sense I'll never fully understand the some things that many LGBTQ people just accept as a part of life. My frame of reference can only relate so far, as does everyone's.

Some people here are really misconstruing what OP meant. I didn't read it as she's adverse to being friends with anyone, or visiting a place because of race or orientation, just that they would like to know/find a place that's 100% inclusive to their identity. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 8

On 3/31/2020 at 9:40 PM, Raysa Jolbey said:

Honestly I haven't found any LGBTQ friendly spaces in SL. They do have LGBTQ sims but they are more geared towards sex and cruising and it is quite weird honestly. I have been thinking about ideas of coming up with a sim or a space where gay people can come and hang and meet people all over the world without having to bring up sex or weird stuff...

Have you tried Venus Beach? It's for female/feminine avatars only, though I assume from your profile pic that that's not a problem. It's not a sex/cruising place at all.  

• Like 4

I'd like to add to Matty's comment. Not every LGBTQ+ friendly place is a sex cruising spot. Many are not, though as in any space, people may get together. Generally, you may want to search the specific word of whatever letter of the rainbow you identify with. That will give you more places to look at.

• Like 3

I just quickly want to say hey! SL black person here and i'm always looking for other SL friends, i'll PM if you don't mind 🙂

Also, Thick socks person. It would be hell if because of the history behind all white places. Black people from my 9 years on SL are hard to come by, it's hard finding friends who are like you on SL. You want friends who can understand your struggles and who you can relate to. You contributed NOTHING to this post bro, if you can't provide any info then go to a different post. OP i hope you find some places where you can meet more black and LGBTQ+ people. 💗

• Like 3

Second Pride happens in June. https://second-pride.com/

Outside of that, your best bet is to try events on themes you like and see who you meet. Then they might be able to direct you to something more specific. The Second Life Birthday is one to try, because the exhibits include community groups. There might not be anything that'll interest you there as each year is different, but it's worth a look.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 5:01 AM, MayaSmit said:

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but have you tried group searches? You can find plenty of LGBTQ+ friendly communities in the destination guide. That might be a good place to start? I know there's a Transgender Resource Centre that has an in-world meeting spot. Maybe other places like this? 

Soul Vibrations Dance Club used to be a popular destination for the black community of SL, but haven't been for a long time so not sure now. 

Soul Vibrations Dance Club tried to keep it going but it got smaller the music changed, people came roleplaying as monsters or gangsters it was really sad to see them go. there were a couple of dance clubs that tried since then but just couldn't hold it down. Is there any place where the have "soul music".

On 4/2/2020 at 4:50 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

What if people asked where to find the Dutch LGBT places?

That's right, but while you and others are correctly talking also about the cultural aspect, someone else just put it as a skin color issue,  "where to find the white", which also sounds logical, except if you feed a correct logic with insufficient or wrong info, you still get wrong results. I don't believe Alwin does that in bad faith, but note that this is one of those points of confusion that the alt-right uses to exploit and take advantage of, so it's better to be clear about it.

Dutch people have in common a language and a culture. It's pretty normal to wish to meet someone coming from your same place and/or people who talk your same language, and thus to have a Dutch (or French or Italian, etc) community. Or a Sudanese, Nigerian, etc. community. Or communities that share the same interest or have to deal with similar issues, like the LGBT+ community. But what if people asked where to find a blond or brunette community? Or... a pale-skin people community? Would they talk about suntan lotions for white people? 😆 There isn't much else in common (wait, and white supremacy communities? Nope, those are neo-nazi communities, not a generic community for people with a pale skin). Thus we end up with suntan lotion, fun, but indeed silly. This is where Alwin would have a point, except...

Now you could do the same thing with dark-skin people, and thinking it would make little sense as well, right? After all, their identity comes from several different countries and languages: they would rather ask were to find Ethiopian, Senegalese (or in the US, maybe Afro-American) places, right? Maybe, and note that Raysa did exactly that, explicitly said "African American", not just black. African-American still share an heritage, that's already a point, but even not counting cultures, ethnicity, and ancestry (we are in SL, people come from all over the world),  it's not the only one: in predominantly white countries, people with a black skin, whatever they ethnicity, culture and ancestry, they are subject to the same discrimination (not by everyone, of course). Thus it isn't the same thing: asking where you could find places for white folks isn't the same as asking for places for black folks in this case. If you want to make it somewhat comparable, to understand how does it feel, you should at least have a predominantly black country with a small and discriminated white minority (let alone a memory of colonialism, slavery etc.).

In SL, too, African-American is a minority. Nothing strange if you want to meet people that live similar experiences and can understand you better.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 7:07 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

i'm not even going to respond to this nonsens

Alvin, are you black or gay? If not, why are you in this thread?

I'm neither black nor gay, but I have tenants who are black or LGBTQ, and especially when new, it takes them awhile to find their way. You can try search on topics; it can just produce a lot of adult clubs that aren't for everybody.

I can only tell people to try different events, try to find a topic you like, a book club, music, whatever, then you may find friends.

But it is not easy. it's hard. And to come at people in the disruptive way you do just drives them away.

• Like 7

On 4/6/2020 at 11:21 PM, BeautifulXu said:

Soul Vibrations Dance Club tried to keep it going but it got smaller the music changed, people came roleplaying as monsters or gangsters it was really sad to see them go. there were a couple of dance clubs that tried since then but just couldn't hold it down. Is there any place where the have "soul music".

It’s still there, it’s called Soul Evolutions now. It’s actually a much nicer sim than before, but the same people go there. Can’t say I’ve seen any monster Avis show up there, so it’s been relatively troll free.

• Like 4

On 3/17/2020 at 11:02 PM, Fritigern Gothly said:

I'm sorry, I can't help you since I just don't pay attention to which places are black, white, purple or polka dotted, although I sincerely hope that you will find what you are looking for so that you get out of SL what you want and need. I am sure these black hangouts do exist, but as I said, I have no idea where they may be. 

With that said, please forgive me my ignorance, but how would these places be different from all the others? This is the question that made me reply to you and I am genuinely interested so please don't take it as me being whatever.

I don't get why she is being called out for wanting to hang out with people she wants to. If she said she wanted to find places where people loved playing chess and eating chocolate, would anyone give it a second thought?

People of color and LGBTQ people in rl are marginalized, and she wants a place where she feels comfortable. Give her a break and open your minds. And to the person who mentioned sex in relation to being gay, being gay is not about sex, so if your mind goes right there, that's about you and not her.

I will now sit back and wait for the hate.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

I don't get why she is being called out for wanting to hang out with people she wants to. If she said she wanted to find places where people loved playing chess and eating chocolate, would anyone give it a second thought?

People of color and LGBTQ people in rl are marginalized, and she wants a place where she feels comfortable. Give her a break and open your minds. And to the person who mentioned sex in relation to being gay, being gay is not about sex, so if your mind goes right there, that's about you and not her.

I will now sit back and wait for the hate.

With posts like these you call the harte on yourself. You understand that right?
You claim that I am "calling her out", I saw something that I did not understand and I think I was very respectful in formulating my question to her and that I was clear in communicating my desire to understand. Your response to my post is completely uncalled for and, quite frankly, qualifies as trolling.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

With posts like these you call the harte on yourself. You understand that right?
You claim that I am "calling her out", I saw something that I did not understand and I think I was very respectful in formulating my question to her and that I was clear in communicating my desire to understand. Your response to my post is completely uncalled for and, quite frankly, qualifies as trolling.

If you get your back up when someone quotes you, perhaps you should not be here.

I stand by everything I said. 

Edited by Annabell Wandsworth
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, gudetama00 said:

I can't help OP with their request, but I completely understand where it comes from. Just like it's nice to have friends who are interested in the same television series as you it is great to find people who have similar lives as you because there is just a connection there that others won't get. I fully support the LGBTQ community but I don't live it so in that sense I'll never fully understand the some things that many LGBTQ people just accept as a part of life. My frame of reference can only relate so far, as does everyone's.

Some people here are really misconstruing what OP meant. I didn't read it as she's adverse to being friends with anyone, or visiting a place because of race or orientation, just that they would like to know/find a place that's 100% inclusive to their identity. Nothing wrong with that. 

There is at least one person in this thread who understands what I am saying. 

Listen up- " it is great to find people who have similar lives as you because there is just a connection there that others won't get."

Why do any of you here fault her for that?

Listen up- "but I don't live it so in that sense I'll never fully understand"

I accept that I don't understand her world. I do not have the hubris to pretend I do. Let the woman want to go somewhere she can breathe.

• Like 5

im black, from the caribbean but i roleplay as a kawaii person.. my avatar changes ever so often.. All three pics are looks of mine and the last one is my current look.SL is my escape from the crazy so i become the person that i cannot express in rl.. sometimes its not just about finding the people that look like you trust me theres alot of black people around.. you hear them when they get on mic... hahaa. im always ready to meet new people.. shoot me an IM in world sometime. Im getting back into sl and friends would help with that

Ria_christmas19.png

Snapshot_001.png

Snapshot_031.png

• Like 6

On 4/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

But it is not easy. it's hard. And to come at people in the disruptive way you do just drives them away.

you should promote your blog a bit more here, so people can see the difference between what you try to show here and the reality what you are
Nice example on it what you did recently with Tari and Bitsy and before many others ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 1:59 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

you should promote your blog a bit more here, so people can see the difference between what you try to show here and the reality what you are
Nice example on it what you did recently with Tari and Bitsy and before many others ..

No idea what your point is, but anyone who wants to find my blog can just Google, and I don't think the forums are a place necessarily to promote one's blog.

And what is this "horrible thing" you think I did that somehow I am supposedly "reluctant" to link to or describe? The horror! Oh! I know! Simply reprinting the exchanges on this forum. Just reprinting them. They stand alone, really. Others who may not come to the forums or who don't feel they can express themselves freely on the forums then have an opportunity to respond appropriately.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:37 AM, Janet Voxel said:

It’s still there, it’s called Soul Evolutions now. It’s actually a much nicer sim than before, but the same people go there. Can’t say I’ve seen any monster Avis show up there, so it’s been relatively troll free.

it's still here? that's me at the door now!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.