Creating a house keeper alt question

VonWulfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all.

Now my Victorian kitchen is starting to look like the busy workplace it should be, I turn my mind back to the house keeper conundrum.

I have explored many stores seeking a suitable candidate but neither the animesh nor wear me companions fit the bill.

I want a house keeper that can interact with the with the house, use the stove animations etc.

The idea struck me that if I want this amount of realism I would be better creating an alt. In this way I would have all the assets of SL available to recreate the only candidate possible, Mrs Hudson (See pic).

Is it possible to run two instances of SL on the same computer so we can be online at the same time?

Could anyone recommend a good quality aged AV or head, skin, body for me to build on?

Rosalie-Williams-1984-Granada-The-naval-Treaty.jpg

I can tell you how to do it in Firestorm. Open Preferences (Ctrl+P), click on the Advanced tab, then check the box for Allow Multiple Viewers, and click OK.  Depending on how powerful your computer is, you might want to reduce the graphic settings for the alt.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 2

You could also put an ad out and hire someone. There is an "inworld employment" forum under the Commerce section, and also the classifieds. You'd probably have to buy them what you'd want them to wear because most aren't going to look like Mrs. Hudson. Her black-sheep-of-the-family granddaughter, maybe, but probably not Mrs. Hudson. 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It is possible to run two instances, but each one will get double the lag, and unless you have a high-powered PC with a wired ethernet connection, it's likely to be a frustrating experience. Then again, if you're both only going to be logged in together when you're at home, it probably won't be too bad. I can do two at home on a crappy GTX 960 gpu but anywhere with more than half a dozen people it's hopeless.

If you're on Firestorm, there's a tickbox in Preferences under the Advanced tab, "Allow multiple viewers". In the official SL viewer, I think you have to add " -multiple" (without quotes) to the end of your desktop shortcut; not sure that they have an option for it in preferences.

Can't help with old lady avatars but there is one in the Library - Gretchen - she'll need a different outfit though. The library version is far too well-dressed to be a housekeeper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I can tell you how to do it in Firestorm. Open Preferences (Ctrl+P), click on the Advanced tab, then check the box for Allow Multiple Viewers, and click OK.  Depending on how powerful your computer is, you might want to reduce the graphic settings for the alt.

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

You could also put an ad out and hire someone. There is an "inworld employment" forum under the Commerce section, and also the classifieds. You'd probably have to buy them what you'd want them to wear because most aren't going to look like Mrs. Hudson. Her black-sheep-of-the-family granddaughter, maybe, but probably not Mrs. Hudson. 😋

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

It is possible to run two instances, but each one will get double the lag, and unless you have a high-powered PC with a wired ethernet connection, it's likely to be a frustrating experience. Then again, if you're both only going to be logged in together when you're at home, it probably won't be too bad. I can do two at home on a crappy GTX 960 gpu but anywhere with more than half a dozen people it's hopeless.

If you're on Firestorm, there's a tickbox in Preferences under the Advanced tab, "Allow multiple viewers". In the official SL viewer, I think you have to add " -multiple" (without quotes) to the end of your desktop shortcut; not sure that they have an option for it in preferences.

Can't help with old lady avatars but there is one in the Library - Gretchen - she'll need a different outfit though. The library version is far too well-dressed to be a housekeeper.

2 hours ago, momomoonusagi said:

If you decide to go the route of making an alt, maybe give the skin maker Poema a peeking at.

Here's one of the newer ads for the Skin Fair event going on:

soon at skin fair 2020

Thank you all ever so much :)

I have quite a powerful gaming rig so should have no problem running 2 AV's at once. Ill set the house keeper on min settings as she will just be running in the background.

Can I use the same email for the house keeper?

Are they linked account or do I just create a new account?

This should be incredibly fun project, I have already seen a fantastic Victorian dress at Hotdog store :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

Yes, you can use the same email, though many will use a different one.  You actually go back through the signup process and create a second account.  They are not linked accounts, though LL will be able to tie them together via that same email - not that it matters.  You can also give same payment info if you want the second account to be able to purchase L$ on their own -- or you can just give them however much L$ you want whenever you need to.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, you can use the same email, though many will use a different one.  You actually go back through the signup process and create a second account.  They are not linked accounts, though LL will be able to tie them together via that same email - not that it matters.  You can also give same payment info if you want the second account to be able to purchase L$ on their own -- or you can just give them however much L$ you want whenever you need to.

Many thanks :) 

I am so looking forward to creating a house keeper. It should be an interesting experience creating this female character. 

• Like 1

This is just for information since I have zero idea how to use this but ....

https://corrade.grimore.org/

Corrade is a multi-purpose, multi-platform scripted agent (bot) that runs under Windows or Unix via mono, as a service or daemon whilst staying connected to a Linden-based grid (either Second Life or OpenSim) and controlled entirely by scripts. We like to think of Corrade as a bridge, that gives access to viewer-commands to LSL scripts. Corrade does not stop at providing viewer-commands to LSL scripts but reaches into the Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) by implementing the latest technologies and communication protocols. Corrade's target audience consists of programmers that will use Corrade as a building block and then create an end-product.

Scripting templates are provided in the Corrade store that are closer to an end-product yet they are meant to provide a starting point for programmers by illustrating some of the aspects of programming with Corrade. The templates can be changed or created differently (or better) by a programmer that interfaces with Corrade. If a specific targeted application is desired that requires a scripted agent, then chances are that a programmer would be able create one using Corrade.

This is how most people run their actual bots or scripted agents.  I don't know the first thing about it.  I just know it exists.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

You can use the same email for up to 5 accounts.  They are not linked in any way, just start a new one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I know the very one, and have been tempted to buy it. :D It's certainly suitable.

Ah, I may have to call on your advice on how to dress a Victorian lady :)

I think the dress will be a good base to build on :)

• Like 1

Mrs Hudson has now arrived at the house :)

She went shopping for demos but is having some difficulty with body parts popping through the clothing.

I remember I had a hud when I purchased skin and shape for myself. It allowed me to hide problem body parts.

Is it possible to do this with Gretchen AV?

Hecate_001.jpg

As I recall, Gretchen is one of the default starter avatars? Assuming that she is a system avatar (no mesh body parts) then it should be easy to create (or find) a full body alpha layer. I'd suggest looking on Marketplace first, as there are plenty of free sets of different alpha layers there. You'll primarily want a torso alpha that leaves the hands unmasked, such as a long-sleeved shirt alpha. For the remainder of the body you can either use a pants alpha and shoes alpha, or you can simply create your own in your inventory (New > Clothing > Alpha Layer, then wear it, edit it, and tick the small box beside each section that you want to alpha out, then save it).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

Mrs Hudson has now arrived at the house :)

She went shopping for demos but is having some difficulty with body parts popping through the clothing.

I remember I had a hud when I purchased skin and shape for myself. It allowed me to hide problem body parts.

Is it possible to do this with Gretchen AV?

Hecate_001.jpg

Gretchen is non-mesh so she will have to wear the system alpha layer that comes with the clothes. If there is no system alpha layer, the clothing is for mesh bodies only, and not suitable for Gretchen. However you could make it work by borrowing alphas from similar outfits. 

If she wants a free mesh body with a hud, send her to Lucyshoes. If the Midnight Mania is still running, she is in with a very good chance of winning one. The Lucybody fits clothes made for Maitreya, which are very widely available.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Gretchen is non-mesh so she will have to wear the system alpha layer that comes with the clothes. If there is no system alpha layer, the clothing is for mesh bodies only, and not suitable for Gretchen. However you could make it work by borrowing alphas from similar outfits. 

If she wants a free mesh body with a hud, send her to Lucyshoes. If the Midnight Mania is still running, she is in with a very good chance of winning one. The Lucybody fits clothes made for Maitreya, which are very widely available.

Many thanks. She has entered the draw :)

Are any of the starter AV's mesh?

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

As I recall, Gretchen is one of the default starter avatars? Assuming that she is a system avatar (no mesh body parts) then it should be easy to create (or find) a full body alpha layer. I'd suggest looking on Marketplace first, as there are plenty of free sets of different alpha layers there. You'll primarily want a torso alpha that leaves the hands unmasked, such as a long-sleeved shirt alpha. For the remainder of the body you can either use a pants alpha and shoes alpha, or you can simply create your own in your inventory (New > Clothing > Alpha Layer, then wear it, edit it, and tick the small box beside each section that you want to alpha out, then save it).

Many thanks Skell. I managed to get an alpha that came close but a small part of the neck is still visible. On a good note I found a free dress that will do for shopping for demos :)

Hecate 2_001.jpg

Hecate 3_001.jpg

2 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

Many thanks. She has entered the draw :)

Are any of the starter AV's mesh?

No. None that you'd ever want to touch with a ten-foot barge-pole. There are some old ones, from back when mesh was a new thing, and they are all utterly hideous. They'll be buried somewhere in your Library, if you ever feel like giving yourself a scare.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

No. None that you'd ever want to touch with a ten-foot barge-pole. There are some old ones, from back when mesh was a new thing, and they are all utterly hideous. They'll be buried somewhere in your Library, if you ever feel like giving yourself a scare.

Many thanks again :)

What are my best options for a widely supported mesh female body and head?

I would like to make use of all the cool Victorian clothing & Steampunk attachments, especially ContraptioN, Hotdog items.

I'm not familiar with any of those stores but Maitreya Lara is the most widely supported body for clothing (along with that Lucybody I mentioned earlier, which fits the same clothes). The next two would be Belleza Freya and Slink Hourglass; both of these two suit a fuller figure whereas Maitreya and Lucy are slim.

For heads there are literally dozens to choose from, and no brand is particularly better or worse, though Catwa, Lelutka and Genus have the most options for skins and makeup. Best bet for a head is to find your preferred skin first, because skins are often made for just one brand. Even if you go BOM, not all skins fit all heads nicely (but they will usually fit all bodies).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I'm not familiar with any of those stores but Maitreya Lara is the most widely supported body for clothing (along with that Lucybody I mentioned earlier, which fits the same clothes). The next two would be Belleza Freya and Slink Hourglass; both of these two suit a fuller figure whereas Maitreya and Lucy are slim.

For heads there are literally dozens to choose from, and no brand is particularly better or worse, though Catwa, Lelutka and Genus have the most options for skins and makeup. Best bet for a head is to find your preferred skin first, because skins are often made for just one brand. Even if you go BOM, not all skins fit all heads nicely (but they will usually fit all bodies).

For skin I want something with an aged look. Skin fair is not available, I think its packed :)

Hello all :)

I have created a club so I can give her the role of officer but cant work out how to move her from member to officer.

How do I achieve this?

Also, I made the mistake of shopping for clothes demos with her and accidentally purchased herbs and vegetable fatpac :(

How do I give her permission to place the items in my home?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.