Anyone encountered really mean people on here?

Axel UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you believe that people are evil, you find evil everywhere.  If you believe that they are good, you see good wherever you turn. The world is full of both good and evil, of course, but you emphasize what you expect to see.  When you find it, your belief is reconfirmed.  When you don't find it, you figure that the world must be having an unusually bad (or unusually good) day.

I really like that thought. :) Reminds me of Schrödinger's Cat (no, not you, gatogateau 😊), that principle in quantum mechanics where you see what you wanted to see. If you were looking for a particle, you'll find a particle; if yoiu expected a wave, you'll find the latter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

People have been debating whether humans are inherently good or inherently evil for thousands of years, so it's not likely to be resolved in a forum like this. 

Geez Rolig, so cynical! I'm surprised you of all people replied like this. Not solving millenia old philosophical ponderings in a SL Forum thread about mean people? I'm shocked! I come here specifically for the argumentation theories! Why just the other day, the meaning of life was discussed and solved. (42)

th_sarcasm.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Geez Rolig, so cynical! I'm surprised you of all people replied like this. Not solving millenia old philosophical ponderings in a SL Forum thread about mean people? I'm shocked! I come here specifically for the argumentation theories!

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it's not worth debating. Just don't expect a satisfactory answer.  If you're in it for the game, good vs. evil is always a winning topic.  My only caution is that everyone in the game is playing with a stacked deck. Me included.

• Like 4

It's that old story about the guy who sits at the gates of the city to greet people as they enter. One day a man comes along and asks what the people here are like. The greeter asks: "What are they like back in your home city?" The visitor replies: "They're wonderful! Kind, generous, good-spirited, lovely people." The greeter says, "I think you'll find they're the same here too." A little later, another man comes along and asks what the people here are like. Again, the greeter asks what they were like in his home city. The stranger replies: "They're awful! Selfish, self-centred, nasty, just horrible." And of course, the greeter says: "I think you'll find they're the same here too."

Not a perfect analogy, of course, as there are pockets of places with a particular culture, but as an overall metaphor for life I think it usually works.

There's also the little sparrow who flies from tree to tree all day to find a place to build a nest, rejecting each one. He finally reaches the tree of the wise old owl, who asks him why he hasn't found a good tree yet when he's been looking all day. The sparrow answers: "I can't help it! Every single tree has the most horrible smell, I can't put up with it. It's unbearable." And the wise old owl replies: "Have you thought that maybe it isn't the trees?"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If you are interested in stories that explore the question, I recommend J.R.R.Tolkien's short allegorical tale, Leaf By Niggle, which was published in 1947 and then later bound together with Tolkien's essay On Fairy Stories in the small book, Tree and Leaf.  It's easily my favorite morality story -- short and yet marvelously complex.  Niggle is not a bad person, but he is not altogether kind and sensitive to his neighbor either.  He is ... me.

• Like 4

On 5/31/2020 at 3:49 PM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Integrity... pfft.. another  label for following the rules because of fear. People only do things to get something back out of it 

YES!  (though not quite as you meant it).  When you give love out, you tend to get love back overall in your life.  You get a better world for everybody.
I do believe this is why a conscience developed in humans, a sense of right and wrong when relating to to others, so that it's not just ourselves that we live for, we also live for those around us. It's a community. Once again, each person is not an island.
Only in a community can we preserve life. To exist as a lone individual without connection to the earth or others is the way of destruction, for self and for others.

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

One is not "fooling themselves" when they choose to be loving instead of hateful. Fortunately, humans have the capacity to choose, and that has nothing to do with being "noble", it's simply an ability we have. We have the ability to make the world a better place if we decide to focus on doing so. If we can choose love why not do so? Can you give a compelling reason why we should not?

Because you will only get  hurt in the end.  Remove the rose colored glasses.. you wish to see humans in to high of regards to what they really can be like. 

Sure people can be very hurtful. But usually they're just trying to protect themselves. There are real monsters, those who are sadistic and intentionally set out to hurt others...but sadistic people are fairly rare.

If you can realize that when you feel hurt by others the person is trying to protect themselves, instead of imagining they're a monster, I don't think you'll feel quite so hurt and judge them so negatively.  I try to forgive those who did not mean to hurt me, and I feel a lot better about the world because of this.

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sure people can be very hurtful. But usually they're just trying to protect themselves. There are real monsters, those who are sadistic and intentionally set out to hurt others...but sadistic people are fairly rare.

If you can realize that when you feel hurt by others the person is trying to protect themselves, instead of imagining they're a monster, I don't think you'll feel quite so hurt and judge them so negatively.  I try to forgive those who did not mean to hurt me, and I feel a lot better about the world because of this.

The overly hopefull optimistic forgiver..this was already understood about you. Don't change..if you can.  But not all things are possible. 

One person's protection is another's abuse or harm. Two sides of the same coin. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 7:34 AM, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

I mean like toxic people who don't seem to know or care that when they are acting mean, that they are hurting real people with how they act.

oh yes.. and most are in this thread, showing how good they are

• Haha 4

On 3/16/2020 at 7:34 AM, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

I mean like toxic people who don't seem to know or care that when they are acting mean, that they are hurting real people with how they act.

It's like in RL, there is no big difference to SL. Mean or how you stated it, toxic people are in both worlds. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
15 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

The overly hopefull optimistic forgiver..this was already understood about you. Don't change..if you can.  But not all things are possible. 

One person's protection is another's abuse or harm. Two sides of the same coin. 

With love all things are possible. And how do you know I'm  "the overly hopefull optimistic forgiver"? How do you know that the pain I've gone through in life isn't equal to or worse than yours?  If so, how would that be "overly hopeful" to have discovered the way out of that misery? 

There's always pain in life, but when you can't accept that and develop ways/defenses to stay cut off from life (your philosophy as described here and on other threads) then misery takes its place.  Pain is unavoidable, but there's no need to feel misery.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I know  human nature 

cept you don't tho?

I mean painting everyone with one broad brush displays an unwillingness to see what is really there. Instead of understanding that there are all kinds of people, with all kinds of motives you've just simply chucked humanity in the bin and written it off.

That's fine if that works for you -but it's no great insight. It's lazy, it's a brush-off.

It's no deeper than thinking that everyone is a saint.

But hey! You do you.

Edited by Han Held
fixed a word. Guess which one!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Han Held said:

cept you don't tho?

I mean painting everyone with one broad brush displays an unwillingness to see what is really there. Instead of understanding that there are all kinds of people, with all kinds of motives you've just simply chucked humanity in the bin and written it off.

That's fine if that works for you -but it's no great insight. It's lazy, it's a brush-off.

It's no deeper than thinking that everyone is a saint.

But hey! You do you.

Your opinion is just that.. an opinion.. neither more or less right or relevant of my own. 

2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

It's not.. you just want to believe it is. 

It's demonstratably so. Your opinion is little more than a knee-jerk reaction.

Any other opinion that expends more energy into the question is -by definition, better.

But thanks for playing. 🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I have no heart.. not anymore.. only a dark pit..

Have you considered renting out the vacant space? I keep losing track of where I put my sunglasses, and could really use a good, memorable spot to put them when I don't use them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.