Jump to content
Axelfoxthefoxyfluff

Anyone encountered really mean people on here?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

and evil, right and wrong are subjective to the possible punishment received if caught. not everyone fears the punishments. and not because they have some sort of personality or brain disorder either and not because they had bad parenting. not everyone fears the same things the same way or at all.

 

I suggest you familiarize yourself with Kohlberg's 6 Stages of Moral Development (uh-oh, there's she goes again, with the Stages). Your stance is the lowest, Stage 1: 'Obedience and Punishment Orientation. The child/individual is good in order to avoid being punished.' Further evinced by your 100% moral relativism. And how could you see it differently even? Wth nothing internalized, everything goes.

And I don't mean to be rude, but that makes talking with you about morality pointless, really. If you want to talk about a conscience (which is just an internalized sense of morality), you need to have one.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Humans only follow the rules or laws of society because of fear of punishment.  If you think it is because of something higher you are sadly mistaken.  It is fear that government and society uses to control the masses.  You sadly want to think it is something  more righteous when it is not.

Just because someone wrote some x-stages of anything does not make it true or valid.  That is just their opinion on the subject and their attempt to label and control  by making everyone think they are correct  and anyone else is wrong if they disagree. 

Same way the bible and religion works. Fear...and false morals and ethics from an outdated time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Humans only follow the rules or laws of society because of fear of punishment.  If you think it is because of something higher you are sadly mistaken.  It is fear that government and society uses to control the masses.  You sadly want to think it is something  more righteous when it is not.

Just because someone wrote some x-stages of anything does not make it true or valid.  That is just their opinion on the subject and their attempt to label and control  by making everyone think they are correct  and anyone else is wrong if they disagree. 

Same way the bible and religion works. Fear...and false morals and ethics from an outdated time. 

You need to meditate, hon.

But seriously, some people have this thing you may not have heard of, it's called 'integrity'. They are concerned with doing what is right, and they care about others, simply because they know it makes for a better society.   Fear of punishment is not what guides their behavior, and they are not just trying to be a "good girl".

I don't like your depiction of an uncaring world with no love.  It's only the world YOU live in, and others like you.  Not sure what you are, but your philosophy feels creepy beyond belief to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

You need to meditate, hon.

But seriously, some people have this thing you may not have heard of, it's called 'integrity'. They are concerned with doing what is right, and they care about others, simply because they know it makes for a better society.   Fear of punishment is not what guides their behavior, and they are not just trying to be a "good girl".

I don't like your depiction of an uncaring world with no love.  It's only the world YOU live in, and others like you.  Not sure what you are, but your philosophy feels creepy beyond belief to me. 

Integrity... pfft.. another  label for following the rules because of fear. People only do things to get something back out of it or because they fear the consequences of failure to do so. 

Humans are animals at heart and if pushed enough will show their true nature.  Humans are not a noble race like some want to think or believe or claim. 

What am I.. an animal that doesn't try to hide behind lies of being a  civilized creature to try and fool myself or others like most other humans do. I am not ashamed of what I am like so many others seem to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2020 at 8:34 PM, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

I mean like toxic people who don't seem to know or care that when they are acting mean, that they are hurting real people with how they act.

Wow Axel, I just experienced this about an hour ago. I got hungry while playing Linden Realms, so sat my avatar near The Workshop in SL and got some lunch in RL. When I came back I had received this weird message:

"[13:00] (avatar name): idiot people talk me now and send videos about you alt ...you in this alt and others avis ,you not repext a game,,,allpeople here see you and talk me ...i send videos now for lindens realm and people too ...you are a cheter wait for crystals sitting here ..it is a fraude ...liten idiot everyone who has not been banned from lindens off for more time this game ... now i reporter you ... and the honest ones can't play because of the cheaters, it's a bad avi everyone says ... i will report todso oa avis who do not respect the owner, who pays you to close this game once and for all .... you do not know how to respect the game, being always standing on the rocks ... I send videos and report ... I am helping to do this job, me and more friends from realm linden ,,, ty and bye bye, you haven’t changed and it’s hard to be honest… ty will name videos and it’s a shame this game will be closed   ...all reporter you now ... bye bue idiot"

I have so many questions about what that jibberish means, and why that avatar (and others?) would be taking videos of me. I think my avatar is cute, but taking videos without consent is something a stalker does.

I just replied "I wish you happiness," then changed location and reported the person for harassment. Has anyone else experienced this stalker behavior or is that avatar targeting me personally? What on earth would anyone do with videos of an avatar running through Linden Realms? Is that some kind of hentai fetish?

Edited by Unpronounceable1
remove avatar's name
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Unpronounceable1 First of all, I strongly suggest that you edit your post to remove the other avatar's name. It's very much frowned upon to 'name and shame' in the forum.

Secondly, some people take Linden Realms very seriously, and to go AFK in the area is to set yourself up to be accused of cheating. Yours is not the first report I've seen of this happening. Some of those super-serious players automatically assume that AFK avatars are bots and will report them as such because bots are not permitted under the rules for playing Linden Realms. I would suggest that - in future - if you need to go AFK then you leave the Realms and park your avatar elsewhere.

Don't worry about the video. It probably doesn't even exist, and the person concerned is overreacting. Yes, they may have filed an abuse report against you, claming that you're a "cheating bot" but Linden Lab will know that you're not. They can tell if a human is behind an avatar or if that avatar is a scripted agent.

In short: Please edit your post to remove the username, and don't let that one person spoil your enjoyment of Linden Realms and Second Life :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

@Unpronounceable1 First of all, I strongly suggest that you edit your post to remove the other avatar's name. It's very much frowned upon to 'name and shame' in the forum.

Secondly, some people take Linden Realms very seriously, and to go AFK in the area is to set yourself up to be accused of cheating. Yours is not the first report I've seen of this happening. Some of those super-serious players automatically assume that AFK avatars are bots and will report them as such because bots are not permitted under the rules for playing Linden Realms. I would suggest that - in future - if you need to go AFK then you leave the Realms and park your avatar elsewhere.

Don't worry about the video. It probably doesn't even exist, and the person concerned is overreacting. Yes, they may have filed an abuse report against you, claming that you're a "cheating bot" but Linden Lab will know that you're not. They can tell if a human is behind an avatar or if that avatar is a scripted agent.

In short: Please edit your post to remove the username, and don't let that one person spoil your enjoyment of Linden Realms and Second Life :)

Thanks for the kind words Skell, edited post. Cheez, I thought Linden Realms was supposed to be fun, not a moneymaker. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 10:22 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Most mean people can be found in welcoming areas that are crowded, and mostly public sandboxes.

In the welcoming areas, you'll recognize them by their constant loud-mouthing on Voice. In the sandboxes, they're the ones that unleash all kinds of pushers and orbitors upon you, the second you enter the region.

Although, the really nasty ones that make death threats are, according for former SL CEO Rod Humble, quite rare. He only encountered one in SL, whereas, when he worked for Electronic Arts, he received death threats on a daily basis. (Source)

All in all, on average, people in SL don't seem to be as bad as in most MMORPGs. I think this is mostly because of age distribution. The average age in SL is well over 40 years old. In most ('other') games it's decades under that. I don't want to imply that younger people are nastier. It may just be that the older nasty people exert their nastiness elsewhere.

WOW: "The average age in SL is well over 40 years old." I had no idea. Maybe this is because SL is a creative outlet rather than an adrenaline rush. We're drawing and painting rather than shooting each other.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unpronounceable1 said:

I thought Linden Realms was supposed to be fun, not a moneymaker. Oh well.

Linden Realms has always been like that, park your avatar for a moment get accused of being a cheat doesn't matter if you've AFK'd to go to the toilet, get a drink or food, answer the phone/door, need to take breaks for health reasons you are automatically a cheat. if you got certain crystals and knew when they would next spawn and went back to get them when they did you were also seen as a cheat. pretty much anything could get you branded as a cheat. I know people used to put videos up on YouTube or pics outside of SL of people they claimed were cheats and share them in the Linden Realms unofficial group

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unpronounceable1 said:

I have so many questions about what that jibberish means, and why that avatar (and others?) would be taking videos of me

in Linden Realms an avatar's mere presence can interfere with the game play for other people

crystals are rezzed when no avatar is detected within the rez range. A stationary / AFK avatar within the range will prevent the crystal(s) from rezzing. Preventing other players from gathering the crystals. Which is what upsets the other players

why we get called a cheater is because this is a trick that high-value harvesters use.  Work out the time cycle for when a high value crystal will rez in a location.  Stand within the range at that time in the cycle.  This will prevent the crystal from rezzing.  Wait until no other avatar is nearby. Move out of the range. High value crystal rezzes.  Collect it

what we should do is park our avatar on the region in places where our presence will not prevent crystals from rezzing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Unpronounceable1 said:

We're drawing and painting rather than shooting each other.

There are places where we are shooting each other. It's just more like we are drawing and painting each other shooting each other.

🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Unpronounceable1 said:

WOW: "The average age in SL is well over 40 years old." I had no idea. Maybe this is because SL is a creative outlet rather than an adrenaline rush. We're drawing and painting rather than shooting each other.

 

Drawing and painting and photographing each other while having kinky sex while the S.Os are on the couches watching reruns of NCIS. Allegedly.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
18 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

You need to meditate, hon.

But seriously, some people have this thing you may not have heard of, it's called 'integrity'. They are concerned with doing what is right, and they care about others, simply because they know it makes for a better society.   Fear of punishment is not what guides their behavior, and they are not just trying to be a "good girl".

I don't like your depiction of an uncaring world with no love.  It's only the world YOU live in, and others like you.  Not sure what you are, but your philosophy feels creepy beyond belief to me. 

Integrity... pfft.. another  label for following the rules because of fear. People only do things to get something back out of it or because they fear the consequences of failure to do so. 

Humans are animals at heart and if pushed enough will show their true nature.  Humans are not a noble race like some want to think or believe or claim. 

What am I.. an animal that doesn't try to hide behind lies of being a  civilized creature to try and fool myself or others like most other humans do. I am not ashamed of what I am like so many others seem to be. 

One is not "fooling themselves" when they choose to be loving instead of hateful. Fortunately, humans have the capacity to choose, and that has nothing to do with being "noble", it's simply an ability we have. We have the ability to make the world a better place if we decide to focus on doing so. If we can choose love why not do so? Can you give a compelling reason why we should not?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

One is not "fooling themselves" when they choose to be loving instead of hateful. Fortunately, humans have the capacity to choose, and that has nothing to do with being "noble", it's simply an ability we have. We have the ability to make the world a better place if we decide to focus on doing so. If we can choose love why not do so? Can you give a compelling reason why we should not?

Because you will only get  hurt in the end.  Remove the rose colored glasses.. you wish to see humans in to high of regards to what they really can be like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Because you will only get  hurt in the end.  Remove the rose colored glasses.. you wish to see humans in to high of regards to what they really can be like. 

I'm getting the impression that you think you're the only one on here who has ever been hurt by someone or experienced nasty behaviour, and that you are somehow privy to a great truth that eludes the rest of us. Why would you think that? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm getting the impression that you think you're the only one on here who has ever been hurt by someone or experienced nasty behaviour, and that you are somehow privy to a great truth that eludes the rest of us. Why would you think that? 

I don't think that at all. I just don't go through life believing the lies that people are good  inherently. Most people are not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I don't think that at all. I just don't go through life believing the lies that people are good  inherently. Most people are not. 

Ah, you are so privileged that you know the intimate qualities of more than 3.9 billion people.  Well done.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Missing decimal point. :D
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Ah, you are so privileged that you know the intimate qualities of more than 39 billion people.  Well done.

I know  human nature  it doesn't take any special understanding to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I know  human nature  it doesn't take any special understanding to do so. 

How do you know?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

How do you know?

Anyone can learn if they just throw off the false belief that humans are caring by nature.  Most are not.  Look at the riots happening now.  This is just human nature showing itself.

No matter how good some claim to be push them far enough and they will show the monster that lurks just under their skin.

Scratch any hero deep enough and you will find a monster inside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Scratch any hero deep enough and you will find a monster inside. 

So what's monstrous about you? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Anyone can learn if they just throw off the false belief that humans are caring by nature.  Most are not.  Look at the riots happening now.  This is just human nature showing itself.

No matter how good some claim to be push them far enough and they will show the monster that lurks just under their skin.

Scratch any hero deep enough and you will find a monster inside. 

Well, there are several things there to respond to.  Firstly, in order to make a judgement regarding the majority of the human population you need to have proof.  A surgeon knows what to expect upon opening a human body, except for rare cases.  What you are talking about is a combination of physical and psychological characteristics, which are open to debate.  Where is your proof?  Secondly, what defines a monster?  If you're referring to the unconscious part of a person's mind, or their instincts, do you include parental love?  Is that monstrous?  Is a psychopath not monstrous because they lack feeling?  Thirdly, the riots, while objectionable and predictable, still involve a minority of people.  I see no proof for your assertion that most people are not inherently good.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm getting the impression that you think you're the only one on here who has ever been hurt by someone or experienced nasty behaviour,

 

If I may latch onto this part, I do get that life sometimes has a way of folding in on us, in a dark way (not exactly subtle, LOL, but it will need to do). But there's no getting hurt 'in the end.' That is just a choice we make when we feel we are too hurt, and call it quits. When I was very young (around 15) I was enamoured by the exploits of one Charlie Brown, American classic. Sure, he was a bit too dorky for my taste; but I admired that he had this sheer endless ability to forgive Lucy. He got me thinking on the importance of the whole "Dance like you've never been hurt" thingy. And that, in order to keep your soul intact, and whole, one must make a conscious effort, every day, not to die a 'big death,' as I called it; not to let all the small hurts turn into one huge, permanent state of being hurt. Because that leads to, well, see the poster you replied to.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People have been debating whether humans are inherently good or inherently evil for thousands of years, so it's not likely to be resolved in a forum like this.  Personally, I'm not sure that it's even a meaningful question, because the answer says more about who's asking than about humanity in general.  We tend to find what we are looking for when we set out to make judgments about other people.

If you believe that people are evil, you find evil everywhere.  If you believe that they are good, you see good wherever you turn. The world is full of both good and evil, of course, but you emphasize what you expect to see.  When you find it, your belief is reconfirmed.  When you don't find it, you figure that the world must be having an unusually bad (or unusually good) day. You don't readjust your belief.  As in so many other facets of our lives, we each live in a bubble that protects us but also makes it hard to imagine life outside the bubble.  And we are never in more danger than when we try to pop another person's bubble.  It's impossible to do without popping your own first.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...