Anyone encountered really mean people on here?

Axel UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just because you come to second life does not mean people are going to change,  most of us have a good disposition and we are not mean,  but there are people with cultural differences and other items with how they was raised that are here too.  

All one can do is do what Cindy said. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

I mean like toxic people who don't seem to know or care that when they are acting mean, that they are hurting real people with how they act.

Most mean people can be found in welcoming areas that are crowded, and mostly public sandboxes.

In the welcoming areas, you'll recognize them by their constant loud-mouthing on Voice. In the sandboxes, they're the ones that unleash all kinds of pushers and orbitors upon you, the second you enter the region.

Although, the really nasty ones that make death threats are, according for former SL CEO Rod Humble, quite rare. He only encountered one in SL, whereas, when he worked for Electronic Arts, he received death threats on a daily basis. (Source)

All in all, on average, people in SL don't seem to be as bad as in most MMORPGs. I think this is mostly because of age distribution. The average age in SL is well over 40 years old. In most ('other') games it's decades under that. I don't want to imply that younger people are nastier. It may just be that the older nasty people exert their nastiness elsewhere.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 12

First, mean is in the eye of the beholder.  Some people are just whiny cupcakes who cry over every perceived slight, real or imagined.  Perhaps there would be less "meanness" and "bullying" if people stopped being so darned fragile.

Second, SL is an anonymous medium.  People's worst tendencies are accentuated in such media.  That's why Farcebook is such a morass of jassackery.  That's why you see people (myself included) more open about their kinks and perversions here, among other things, while at the same time being extremely cautious of their RL information becoming public.  Meanwhile, the mentality that precious little snowflakes are entitled to an existence where no poopoo heads are ever mean to them is also exaggerated, because, well, the Lab should make everyone be nice.  It's like watching kindergartners cry sometimes.

Third, unlike in RL, you have the absolute ability to restrict who you hear - simply mute and move on.  Take control of your own SL experience rather than letting the jackinapes control you.

When my club was open and running high traffic, it wasn't the griefers and trolls and lag and cost that got me, it was the constant barrage of complaining about "Johnny is being a jerk" by grown adults who should be able to handle interpersonal issues themselves that finally made me close it.  I'm not sure what makes SL worse - the trolls and griefers, or the adult children who expect someone else to solve every little problem.  The world is full of Richards - deal with it.

I was raised on tough love ;) 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

I mean like toxic people who don't seem to know or care that when they are acting mean, that they are hurting real people with how they act.

Yep. That's the problem. They don't care. Which is why the most callous of them always land in my iggie bin, never to be seen or heard from again.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

toxic and mean people, varies in definition.  What you might call mean, could be someone else's response to them thinking you're being mean and toxic.

Second Life gives you the tools to deal with it, just block the person (s) in question, and you won't see or hear them.

• Like 4

Yes. It’s super easy to block and ignore people in Second Life. Even if that’s not your bag, it’s still easy to not be around people on here.

People tend to be extra nice and there are some that take advantage of that. Tell them to “eff off and have a nice day”

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

Anyone encountered really mean people on here?

Yes.  There once was a guy here that gloated over how many women he drove away from SL

And then there is a part of me that wants to say "every time I look in a mirror" but honestly, I am a normal human being at least 51% of the time.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Axelfoxthefoxyfluff said:

I’ve encountered some exceedingly needy, completely self-centered and very narrowly focused people which to my thinking makes a toxic cocktail that often leads to this type of behavior. Yep. So I’ve learned more about how to spot and interpret early signs of this so I can better avoid these people. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Just because you come to second life does not mean people are going to change,  most of us have a good disposition and we are not mean,  but there are people with cultural differences and other items with how they was raised that are here too.  

All one can do is do what Cindy said. 

Yeah, one thing i have noticed is that.

Rudeness is frowned upon where i live,which is Hawai'i. 

I used to live the mainland,but living Hawaii has made me used to the Hawaii way of life and doing everything laid back and on Hawaiian time.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hawaiian Time

Edited by Axelfoxthefoxyfluff
  • Like 1

I've encountered stuff like this to the point where every time I consider exploring new places now, I think back on past experiences and decide "nah". Between the afk silent people and the jerkwads, it's legitimately hard to find decent folk sometimes to the point where I'd rather just go play another game-- and trust me, when that other game is Overwatch, where every other match is full of at least ONE person telling you or someone in the game they should never play again (or die) to put it nicely-- that's a problem.

In fact at this point I prefer it when people are just mean straight up. The toxic groups I've met on SL seem to have this way about them where they try to get close to you at first and then show their true colors. Really puts me off going out with the intention to meet new people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Far fewer actively mean people in the Internet sense (death threats, briefing, doxxing) and far more in the RL sense (low grade bullying, cliqueish behaviour, sudden *phobic outbursts)

People in SL tend to behave more like real life than elsewhere on the net, which is both good and bad.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 2

There’s no mandate that mean people have to check their Bad deeds at the door when they log into second life. I’ve run into death fakers, people who lie about their real life situation when they didn’t even have to tell me to begin with, people who lie about their gender in real life when I could’ve cared less. 

I’ve also run into really nice, caring people as well.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.