Help! im almost completely disabled ^^

Resi Pfeffer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,
ts not about me, but about one of my alts.
I used the alt hours ago and everything was fine, and now i still can connect, but thats it.

I cant walk, i cant jump (Movelock is off. i tripple checked) i cant sit on any objects. All i can do is spinning, using the arrow keys.
I can open an IM, but no message is sent, while i can receive.
I cant attach or detach any items, no HUD works. SL MAPS search doesnt work.i opens, but wont find any region
What i also noticed is the lack of objects around my disabled avatar. nothing loads at all, it seems.
Every third login its even more weird, not even my avatar appears. its just a grey ugly doll, not even an orange cloud.

Any ideas?

P.S.
My computer and internet connection is fine. I logged in 4 other alts, including me. i tried all the things i cant do with my disabled alt. Works fine.

!!!SOLVED!!!
It was caused by my FS viewer. I was able to login and move my alt with the older FS version. Just the new one (BOM) acted up, obviously.
I did a de- and reinstall of the latest FS viewer and cleared the cache, and now it work fine again :)

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
problem has vanished
  • Like 2

This often happens when the region doesn't provide the viewer a full set of connections to the SL backend. Try another region. Also, the region may need to be restarted.

This was a common problem about a year ago. The Lindens made some changes and it mostly disappeared.

10 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

This often happens when the region doesn't provide the viewer a full set of connections to the SL backend. Try another region. Also, the region may need to be restarted.

This was a common problem about a year ago. The Lindens made some changes and it mostly disappeared.

Even though i was able to solve it by reinstalling the viewer, i think you are right about the real issue, as almost nothing around me was loaded properly either.

Yesterday i was able to get almost the same result by accident. While being in SL, the windowa virus scan pops up, telling me that a "oneofyournawtygroups.txt" would contain a virus.
I opened that file in editor and just saw group conversation stored inside. But i wanted to be sure and deleted it. When i switched back to SL, i was stuck again.
Relog did help in that case.

I doubt the reinstall fixed the problem. I suspect that while you were reinstalling the SL server self corrected or the operations team caught the problem and corrected it. Your later encounter with the problem and a restart fixing it shows the restart as the fix to use. I have had to get into a region when this problem was common and had to restart 3 or 4 times to get things working. If possible I would log in on an adjacent region and walk in.

All of your viewer's folders should be whitelisted. You can Google for the step-by-step with your specific anti-virus. It will help with performance and avoid dumb false positives like 'something.txt'. Text files cannot contain a "viable" virus so it was definitely a false positive..

The SL system is very much virus proof. All the content uploaded to SL is checked and more or less completely reformatted into SL data structures. Even images get formatted to JPG2000 format. The reformatting destroys any virus that might make it through their virus protection systems. All the SL scripts (programming) made by users run in the SL servers we call simulators. Your computer is safe in regard to SL stuff.

There are viewer weaknesses that create risk for your computer. But, not in the files found in or created by the viewer. Firestorm's viewer has protection for the music channels, which are third-party services that can be misused. Those attempts are rare and do not last long. I consider the risk less than the hassle of the protection annoyance. I don't enable it.

Your program folder is pretty much static and can be very safely whitelisted.
You chat, logs, settings, and miscellaneous folders can be safely whitelisted.

Program location: C:\Program Files\Firestorm-Releasex64 or C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer or whatever your viewer name.
Support location: C:\Users\[Windows_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64 or SecondLife 
Support location: C:\Users\[Windows_login_ID]\AppData\Local\Firestorm_x64 or SecondLife *

† These are system file locations. Your Windows may not show them by default. Windows Explorer has the setting in the menu to enable showing them. However, your anti-virus may be able to see these for whitelisting without a settings change.

* This is the cache location and can be changed in the viewer's Preferences. So, you will need to look in Preferences to see what location your viewer is set to use.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I doubt the reinstall fixed the problem. I suspect that while you were reinstalling the SL server self corrected or the operations team caught the problem and corrected it. Your later encounter with the problem and a restart fixing it shows the restart as the fix to use. I have had to get into a region when this problem was common and had to restart 3 or 4 times to get things working. If possible I would log in on an adjacent region and walk in.

Still got kinda the same issue yesterday. I cant move at the place where i login, no matter where. I need to teleport somewhere else to be fine.
Besides that my hair and my top is always missing, when i cant move. After the teleport, all items will be attached.

My antivirus is the one what comes with Win10. Nothing special, actually.

Windows Defender, the built-in AV, can whitelist folders. How To

When one first logs in there is a lot happening. The viewer is switching between servers and talking to DNS systems and connecting to the SL backend and CDN systems. A number of race conditions are on-going. (race = events that have to happen before other events) Any delay in any of the processes can cause problems. Packet loss is common at log in because of complexity and timing.

If you open the Viewer Stats as soon as you can after log in. (Ctrl-Shift-1) Check your packet loss.

I suggest you test your connection to the SL servers. See http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

If you have a good connection to SL's servers and a high Packet Loss at log in it suggests you have a slow DNS service. Google 'how to add DNS servers'. Keep your existing DNS entries and add some faster services ahead of the existing ones, either Open DNS or Google's DNS.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.