EEP in Experience?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am used to enjoying many different windlights, at many different heights, on my own Region. It looks like EEP will break them all (if for nothing else, because EEP only offers 4 different plateaux). So, I heard you can create Experiences. I made a key Experience, and added it to the 'Allowed' section in my Region. So far so good. But I don't fully understand the process.

Before I continue, let me ask whether what I want to accomplish is even possible. I want to make a script, using EEP, in an Experience, that will change my windlight according to whatever height I defined, without being restricted to only 4 fixed levels (based on my own location). Is that even possible using EEP? 

On this forum here, I read you can use something like "llOwnerSay("@setenv_preset:"+message+"=force");" using RVL, but that's apparently based on the current windlight system. Essentially, I want to emulate Firestorm's per-parcel windlight system, for when EEP comes into effect.

So, before I figure out how to program the settings, can what I want even be done in EEP?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, kiramanell said:

I want to make a script, using EEP, in an Experience, that will change my windlight according to whatever height I defined, without being restricted to only 4 fixed levels (based on my own location). Is that even possible using EEP?

Yes.

9 hours ago, kiramanell said:

So, before I figure out how to program the settings, can what I want even be done in EEP?

The llReplaceAgentEnvironment() function is probably the easiest one of the two to use as it can use an environment setting file in your HUD's inventory and "apply" it to the wearer if they are participating in the same experience compiled with the HUD script.

All you have to do is set up in script memory or notecard what height or location in the sim should use what file and check the wearer's height/location on a timer.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 1:47 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Yes.

The llReplaceAgentEnvironment() function is probably the easiest one of the two to use as it can use an environment setting file in your HUD's inventory and "apply" it to the wearer if they are participating in the same experience compiled with the HUD script.

All you have to do is set up in script memory or notecard what height or location in the sim should use what file and check the wearer's height/location on a timer.

Thanks. :) It would appear llReplaceAgentEnvironment() does indeed take an EEP object UUID. In channel, some ppl advised against using this (yet), as existing EEP objects would likely be subject to change too much, by the time EEP actually gets officially implemented. Which leaves me to wonder whether existing windlight xml files (LL viewer/FS) can still be imported after EEP has become officially implemented.

I don't have any inside info here, but I'd be pretty surprised if they make incompatible changes to the structure of EEP objects or the ability to import them from old Windlight files. What I've heard we should expect, though, are further changes to the appearance of EEP settings, so if you have very specific expectations about that it might lead to disappointment.

• Thanks 1

• Lindens
On 3/19/2020 at 4:00 AM, kiramanell said:

Thanks. :) It would appear llReplaceAgentEnvironment() does indeed take an EEP object UUID. In channel, some ppl advised against using this (yet), as existing EEP objects would likely be subject to change too much, by the time EEP actually gets officially implemented. Which leaves me to wonder whether existing windlight xml files (LL viewer/FS) can still be imported after EEP has become officially implemented.

Environment Settings should not change at all going forward.  All remaining changes are in the shaders to get the settings to display correctly. 

• Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.