making a tank top

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi people!

I've posted a description of how I made a tank top in my blog.  You can find the blog here: 

http://robin-makingstuff.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately it is the nature of blogs to post things backwards so you'll see the last step first and the next to last next and so on.  If you want to find the start of the 'making a tank top' posts you can go through the posts till you find it or start here:

http://robin-makingstuff.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-clothes-tank-top-part-1.html

I"ve set up the Blog Archive thingie near the top-right of the blog to help in finding the start of thing.  If you look at the March posts you'll see the starting point on making a seamless tile.  And if you look at February you'll see where I start the series of posts on making a skin.

I don't consider myself an expert with GIMP or making clothes but I am willing to share what I have learned so far.  If you see something that's wrong or could be done in a different and better way let me know.  And if you have a question feel free to post it here or in the blog.  I'll do my best to answer.

robin 

• 1 month later...

Hi Robin!
Your blog is serving as a helpful tutorial as I wrestle with the mysteries of GIMP. Thanks!
One naive question (actually posted in another - wrong - forum before it occurred to me to ask you directly):
You instructed us to "... go through the layers, turning off ALL of the layers that are turned on, and turn on the layer at the bottom of the layers list that is the template."
There were 121 layers, and I dutifully clicked the eye shut on 120 (minus a few mercifully already closed), one at a time.
Was there a way to turn them all off in a batch, rather than one by one?

Does Gimp allow you to group your layers?

In Photoshop I can shift/click or ctrl/click the layers I want to select,  put them into a group, then turn off the group. You can always pull out the layers as you need them.  I put them in several groups like "guides"  "details" "stiching," etc. Hate to throw this in here if the same function is not available in Gimp, but it never hurts to try and I think Gimp and Photoshop probably have many of the same functions.

120+ layers seems like a lot for a tank top!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.