Invisible mesh and ground prims / performance question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Because it's nearly impossible to find those informations in the wiki:

1. Does invisible mesh somehow has an impact on the performance (rendering/serverside)? [i.e. parts of clothings that are hidden]. I could imagine that from serverside the user of the invisible mesh will download the mesh anyways, but hows about others seeing (or better, not seeing) it?

2. For buildings: I remember in the past when those mega prims appeared first, there were some issues when too many ppl walked on the same prim (or was that only rumours?) So, for mesh buildings, is it better to use a mesh ground with physics applied or to use an old fashion prim (max. size?).

1 hour ago, Tonk Tomcat said:

1. Does invisible mesh somehow has an impact on the performance (rendering/serverside)? [i.e. parts of clothings that are hidden]. I could imagine that from serverside the user of the invisible mesh will download the mesh anyways, but hows about others seeing (or better, not seeing) it?

A little bit yes, but not much. It may depend on how the object is made invisible. I may be wrong but I believe the most efficient way is to use a full alpha texture and alpha masking.

1 hour ago, Tonk Tomcat said:

2. For buildings: I remember in the past when those mega prims appeared first, there were some issues when too many ppl walked on the same prim (or was that only rumours?) So, for mesh buildings, is it better to use a mesh ground with physics applied or to use an old fashion prim (max. size?).

If it's a perfectly flat ground, a plain cube prim will always be marginally better than even the most optimized mesh when it comes to physics weight.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.