Katt Dragoone

Legacy bodies. Yay or Nay?

Since the release of the Legacy Perky, I've been considering saving up and buying it. For those that own Legacy, was it worth it to you? They are, well, they seem very expensive compared to the others. 

Pros and Cons ready? Go! 😂

Yayayay lol

So i already own legacy and so for the half price of 2500 i decided to get perky as well ...why not right. .. though the last month or so ive been playing and wearing my freya body. .. so the sudden switch from something big and curvy to itty bitty was.. new..lol.. i have to say the body is just lovely. Easy to use, shapes ready to wear and its Bom..with one click in the hud. .. i cant find any faults..and its all my legacy clothes.. i havent had a single top not fit me just because of small chest.

• Like 2

I caved and bought the original Legacy when there was a mild discount (should have waited for Black Friday).  

The shape of the original Legacy bodies (normal and pregnancy) are lovely.  Legacy has a much fuller bust with a more natural shape than Maitreya, the nipples don't point up to your teeth like some other bodies and with good physics, they drape really beautifully.  It looks better, to my taste, but especially so at the high and low ends of the spectrum.  

The Perky is, I think, actually more comparable to Maitreya's shape, but much prettier at the larger numbers than Maitreya.  And they did a great job with getting creators on board to make content for the Perky, so it's a much easier time dressing it, though you may want to wear less.  

So, PROS:

1. Looks
  2. Alpha Cuts.  Although not apparent on the HUD, they really are superior to many bodies and you can have more precise fits if your clothing does not come with an alpha.
  3. Deformers.  You can still wear a lot of your old clothing with it, made for other bodies, using the included deformers.  HOWEVER you will not be able to salvage everything.  The middle of the chest may stick out from some clothing designed for Maitreya.  Shoe compatibility is not an issue.  
  4. Included skins.  It comes with a wide array of included skins and they are pretty lovely, in a decent, inclusive skin tone range.  
  5. The Advanced Materials Editor.  You can drop your own textures onto the Material Editor hud and tint, full bright, glow and adjust transparency.  It's not bad but could use some more functionality since bump and shine really only apply to the non-BOM skin layer. 

CONS:

1. Price.  Is it worth double the existing bodies?  Maybe, maybe not, but it's definitely something that gives most people pause.
  2. Slow HUD.  Sometimes the responsiveness between the HUD and the Body is slow. 
  3. No Omega compatibility.  Unfortunately, unless that clothing/tat/makeup came with system layers, your Omega appliers are useless at this time, and for the foreseeable future.  They like to lie to people and say Omega is dead and give technical mumbojumbo as to why they can't (although for the actual base layer, they can't), but Omega still has uses and they COULD make Omega available for the clothing layers the same way Niramyth does for the Aesthetic since their clothing layers are SL UV compliant.  They just choose not to.  Or, rather, I'm told that it's not high on their priority list.  I think they're just waiting for Omega to die but that is not happening any time soon.  If you need Omega compatibility, pass.
  4. Wonkiness.  Sometimes you get weird errors like stack heap errors or the body just stops responding to the HUD.  You will find yourself refreshing attachments or relogging more than you ever imagined that you would with any other body.

CAVEATS:

The HUD is still networked so your old purchases under the TMP system, if you had any, are still available in your HUD.  But if you don't need those items or once they are applied to your body, you will not need to wear the HUD any longer for them to show up.  Newer appliers do not save (or do not save exclusively) to their servers, they will apply directly to your body like any other body. 

Overall: It's a nice body.  Very beautiful, and the alpha cuts are really good.  HUD could use some improvement but it's not a showstopper.  For the price, however, I wish it didn't glitch as often as it does.  It's best bought at a deep discount.  And that's my impression.  Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cristalle Karami said:

Deformers.  You can still wear a lot of your old clothing with it, made for other bodies, using the included deformers.  HOWEVER you will not be able to salvage everything.  The middle of the chest may stick out from some clothing designed for Maitreya.  Shoe compatibility is not an issue.  

This is one thing that gets me.  They have the slogan: upgrade your body, not your wardrobe."  So I pay double the price and use the deformers to look like my old body?  Why?  Why not spend 5% of that cost to get a deformer that makes Maitreya look like Legacy?

Too me it comes down to a major expense for what is at best a side-grade.  I want the best and I will pay for the best but there are better choices out there.  That's just my opinion tho. 

I do have Legacy for my male, tho.  Love it.  Too me,  Legacy(m) is the best looking and easiest to use of the male bodies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This is one thing that gets me.  They have the slogan: upgrade your body, not your wardrobe."  So I pay double the price and use the deformers to look like my old body?  Why?  Why not spend 5% of that cost to get a deformer that makes Maitreya look like Legacy?

Too me it comes down to a major expense for what is at best a side-grade.  I want the best and I will pay for the best but there are better choices out there.  That's just my opinion tho. 

I pointed this out in the other older thread. I’m thinking the only reason you’d want to use the deformers is to wear old clothing for Maitreya that are pre legacy, since very few creators are going to go back and rig for it on their older clothing. At that point, it’s probably better just to have a Maitreya body saved just for those occasions and to just wear that. But if you’re doing that...why wear a legacy? 

whispers New and shiny....

You could argue it’s an upgrade for hourglass and Freya, for reasons, but you’d go back to not being able to wear your older clothes, this time with no deformers so you have to switch back and forth.

I do have the body, if anyone is wondering. The only thing I can really say is an upgrade are the breasts. They are very natural looking, maybe the best out of all of the bodies. Everything else...sidegrade.

The hud is pretty slick, similar to Belleza’s. So not really an upgrade there. Then you have to knock off points when the server for the hud doesn’t work (which does happen), then you’re stuck. 

There are fine cracks in the body too. If you’re the type of person that can’t unsee a neck seam, you’ll definitely notice this.

Its a nice body, just errr, it’s not the end all like people are trying to make it seem. Sidegrade is the most succinct way of describing it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I do have Legacy for my male, tho.  Love it.  Too me,  Legacy(m) is the best looking and easiest to use of the male bodies. 

Side-grade is fair, mostly.  Breasts really are an upgrade, like Janet said.  The alpha cuts are also an upgrade versus Maitreya.  I wouldn't call it an end-all be-all like some people have said.  

I make liberal use of the deformers because I won't be able to get upgrades to most of my old clothes.  It helps me in the transition as I build my wardrobe going forward for Legacy compatible clothing.  I like this body, I want to wear this body.  But I can't upgrade everything at once.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janetosilio said:

There are fine cracks in the body too. If you’re the type of person that can’t unsee a neck seam, you’ll definitely notice this.

Its a nice body, just errr, it’s not the end all like people are trying to make it seem. Sidegrade is the most succinct way of describing it.

This started showing up with Maitreya, too.  It only occurs at high altitudes, when the rounding numbers are jacked.

I do have both the legacy and perky.  I do like them both, mostly because I can change the size of the feet (I run around SL with no shoes or boots)  and I just like the shape of it.  I do have Maitreya and also Belleza and I like both of these bodies as well.

As for the neck seam, I think it might a bit more obvious on the Legacy, but I still get seams from any body, just depends too on what windlights I use.  I wear chokers already so for me it is not really an issue.

I don't use the deformers because I like wearing clothes that are made for Legacy.  Using the deformer changes my shape and I don't want that.  However, this is just my preference and I am just speaking for me here and not expecting anyone else to think the same way.

I think all the mesh bodies have their pros and cons.  It really boils down to what body has the most pros for you and how much you want to spend.  Best thing is to demo, demo, demo and research some of these threads about Legacy.  

But whats really wrong with having new and shiney simply because you can..? I mean.. i had/have matreya when i first came to SL for the first time last year.. i didnt "need" the freya body, or the legacy body.. i just like them.. and i think the legacy posters, adverts ect.. does exactly what it wanted.. to pull people in .. much like media does in RT.. they "want you to want it" .. and some people fall victim to that, including myself.. i didnt "need" legacy.. and I didnt "need" perky.. but am I happy i got them? Hell yeah.. i love my perky body. 

And also, lol.. those that are saying they havent seen many people with the legacy body.. go to Scandalize on a sale day or new lucky boards.. lootttts of legacy users.. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, janetosilio said:

I do have the body, if anyone is wondering. The only thing I can really say is an upgrade are the breasts. They are very natural looking, maybe the best out of all of the bodies. Everything else...sidegrade.

Belleza's look better IMO, but it's close. And if you feel that close goes the other way... then is it really worth the added hassles and costs to go with TMP's other nightmares...?

For 1500-L you can get Regalia which comes as a pack of bodies - one of them is shaped like Legacy, one like Freya, one like Maitreya, one like Slink-HG, and more I have yet to suss out because they don't name them for what they're matches to, but for how they felt each looked - but you will have furry feet and the UV-map is different... I'm just obsessed with it because it's copy/mod, low lag, and lets me wear any brand of clothes when in furry form... 😛

The HUD system of Legacy seems purposefully designed to be hostile to end-users... and their store is basically designed to feel like you're being slapped in the eyeballs 30x-second...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

I'd never recommend anything from TMP, not when their servers could shut down at any minute, and not after seeing how they handle the rest of their business. Go with Belleza or Slink if you want curves, Maitreya if you want popular. 

At least with them, their products will continue to work as is, long after they're gone for a fraction of the price. 

• Like 3

On 4/7/2020 at 3:07 AM, Gadget Portal said:

I'd never recommend anything from TMP, not when their servers could shut down at any minute, and not after seeing how they handle the rest of their business. Go with Belleza or Slink if you want curves, Maitreya if you want popular. 

At least with them, their products will continue to work as is, long after they're gone for a fraction of the price. 

Yea I've heard some questionable things about TMP. Thank you! I have a Maitreya but due to all the hype, I was curious about Legacy haha