I didn't expect this

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:03 PM, Claireschen Hesten said:

I don't know about other viewers but definitely on Firestorm in Prefs > Notifications > Alerts you can stop that from showing up scroll down to "Warn me if my avatar complexity may be too high" click it and click the down arrow to move it in to the "Never show" section

There's always gonna be some genius who trys to run SL on a Pentium D processor with 1GB of memory running Windows 95 whining on the forums that "SL SUX" because they can't get 144FPS on ultra.

7f218a547699e4b677dd6779a1cd4193.png.8b1c6e2c15e6badc6bbb773ecfac3490.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2020 at 8:29 AM, ChinRey said:

I have to side with Madelaine here. (I suppose that makes me uusual too but I'm fine with that. I'm proud of it even, considering how people usually act and "think" :P.)

The diagonal across a sim is 362 m so that's the draw distance you need if you always want to see all of it. I supose that's the point of her 400 m draw distance.

Me, I'm not really concerned about sim size vs draw distance as such but I like wide open spaces and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does. Unfortunately, due to uncoordinated and unoptimized content that is rarely an option. I think this is one of the major flaws of Second Life as it has turned out and one of its biggest lost potentials.

In my early days here, I lived on a 1/4 homestead island in the Maldives. There was a volcano a couple islands away that I liked seeing through my trees. That required a 1024 DD. I didn't always set it that high, but when I wanted the expansive view that you also like, that's how I got it. It was much more immersive to navigate (I usually flew) with high DD. Server load also wasn't a concern as most of the islands had nobody on them and they were usually sparsely decorated, as they were homesteads.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 3:03 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

on Firestorm in Prefs > Notifications > Alerts you can stop that from showing up scroll down to "Warn me if my avatar complexity may be too high" click it and click the down arrow to move it in to the "Never show" section

I needed this! Thanks.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:16 AM, MichaMoz said:

because they can't get 144FPS on ultra

Hmm. Your Schwartz is bigger than mine.

giphy.gif.552d9e2e74b58cb8e879bd664b9e541a.gif

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

20 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In my early days here, I lived on a 1/4 homestead island in the Maldives. There was a volcano a couple islands away that I liked seeing through my trees. That required a 1024 DD. I didn't always set it that high, but when I wanted the expansive view that you also like, that's how I got it. It was much more immersive to navigate (I usually flew) with high DD. Server load also wasn't a concern as most of the islands had nobody on them and they were usually sparsely decorated, as they were homesteads.

What do you have to set it at to see Russia?

• Haha 1

Drifting slightly, I bet the LL crew do have a laugh at some of the stuff put out in the forums.

I've worked in offices and I know how when somebody spots something funny  it isn't long before there's a "hey! come look at this!"........

Collectively this community is often funny. Often entertaining. Always informative. Often geeky. Sometimes mega geeky. Sometimes even TL:DR.

But always addictive. Lag though is my biggest spoiler to enjoying the experience.  I can manage it but a better laptop is always in the wings. I just cant deal with the techno-babble that comes with IT. I need a Google translate to deal with all that. ;)

On 3/10/2020 at 1:16 PM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

That means you've probably landed at a Black Dragon viewer users group.

Lol.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:46 PM, Amanda Dallin said:

One thing I like about Catznip over Firestorm is you can render others as silhouettes.  That way you can see where they are but it's a lot less laggy.   You can also have exceptions such as friends and you can make exceptions on an avatar by avatar basis.  If i go to a live music show I can make the singer an exception so I can see them but the audience is just silhouettes.  

When I'm in a ship battle I turn my DD up to 272 so I can see other ships approaching before they enter my maximum range of about 175 meters but I do turn down other graphic settings.  You don't need shadows to sink a pirate.  Turning off transparent water has a huge impact while sailing but isn't as pretty if you''re just cruising.

Any Viewer can do this. It's called Jellydolling (if you want the super simple, single color silhuettes which lessen the performance impact more) or Impostors (if you want the old style V1 simplified sprites with full details, which look better but lessen the performance impact less).

Jellydolls are linked to complexity, Impostors are linked to "Max Avatars".

On 3/11/2020 at 5:03 AM, Gadget Portal said:

I particularly enjoy that message. It means someone specifically took the time to render me that couldn't see me previously.

It doesn't. It means you just arrived and your Viewer doesn't yet know how many people actually show you. Other Viewers send this over time, so you'll get a summary after up to a minute telling you the correct amount of people showing you.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:27 AM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Now I’ll be thinking about someone immediately regretting their decision every time I see this.

Lol.

Edited by NiranV Dean

46 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

It doesn't. It means you just arrived and your Viewer doesn't yet know how many people actually show you. Other Viewers send this over time, so you'll get a summary after up to a minute telling you the correct amount of people showing you.

It could also mean that. 

On 3/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Can you please remind me how to make those notices go away -- forever, and ever, amen?.

on the Linden viewer

menu: Me \ Preferences \ Notifications \ Warn me if my avatar complexity may be too high.  [ ^ Always show. v Never show ]

On 3/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

When did sim get to be a dirty word?  That's what Phillip Linden called them when I started so I use that term as well.

I was just kidding, I use both words myself.  I just get a kick out of how crazy people get over which word is correct.

Regarding this removal of the popup:

I once entered a place - looked like a club - and got the message that over 50% can not see me. I checked - 25k

Maybe a convention of the "Craptop Forever" movement? Since it was quiet it wasn't a discussion group.
Sooo .. no reason stay then. 😎
I leave that popup on - may give an insight here and there. Of course if you are high arc you know that you are invisible for many and don't need that popup. 😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.