I didn't expect this

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is possible that you would see that if I was near you.  Anytime I'm popping around potentially crowded events, I drop my 'maximum complexity' slider all the way down to 20,000.  So anyone around me that is higher than 20,000 would possibly get that message.

Then, since I'm quite forgetful about my settings, it may stay at 20,000 for quite some time until suddenly I notice that almost everyone around me is a colored blob.  Sometimes that can take a while.

If you are using Firestorm, there might even be a better option to cut down on viewer side lag. What I do to cut down on lag in very busy events, I go to world menu, and select 'Show friends only' at the very bottom of the menu. This will derender everyone that is not on your friendslist. Navigating might be a bit tricky as you can walk into people, but then again, in laggy sim everyone remaining around the landing spot, is prone to be walked into. Personally, I navigate by the minimap in those situations.

The setting will be turned off automatically on teleport, so you do not need to remember turning it off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is possible that you would see that if I was near you.  Anytime I'm popping around potentially crowded events, I drop my 'maximum complexity' slider all the way down to 20,000.  So anyone around me that is higher than 20,000 would possibly get that message.

Then, since I'm quite forgetful about my settings, it may stay at 20,000 for quite some time until suddenly I notice that almost everyone around me is a colored blob.  Sometimes that can take a while.

This is me as well. The minimum is just the easiest to slide it down to.

I've gotten that message too when my complexity is low but over 20k and I just laugh and know there's a kindred spirit on the region.

Avatars do more than anything else to get my computer fan spinning hard. My current neurological problems are such that this affects me badly and I need to shut down sooner. So apologies if I'm annoying anyone by triggering that message but I really do need to take care of myself and this is the best way for now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Evah Baxton said:

I always get the message that not everyone can see me in crowded events and then 5 minutes or so later everyone can.  When someone new shows up it goes back to not everyone being able to see me.

That may actually be the explanation. There were quite a few people entering and leaving the region when I took that snapshot. It takes a bit of time before your viewer knows what limit new arrivals have and in the meantime it may assume it's 0.

5 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I thought EVERYONE else in SL WAS a purple Blob.  Doh!  Years wasted....

Hmmm... I removed my pre-jellydolled avatar from MP. Maybe I should relist it?

(Edit: Maybe I shuld explain that comment. When the jeyllydoll function was introduced, I amde a set of (very low lag and ARC actually) avatars that looked somewhat like jellydolls - simply flat prims with a coloured silhouette texture on them - and sold them for a single L$. It sold quite well for a while, especially to people with Linden as their last name, but eventuelly I decided the joke had run its course and took it down. If you didn't grab them while they were available, you lsot your chance.)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Do you really need to see something several sims away? Turn down yer draw distance, lady. Geesh.

On the other hand, she could have been flying, and then you need to see where you are going...

(otherwise I agree, 50-100 meters is enough)

• Like 1

I get that message and I have a system head and usually pretty simple clothing. Just another reason I hold the unpopular view that avatars now look great but are really not worth that level of hassle and bother. I swear it's actually easier and quicker to make myself beautiful in RL now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Do you really need to see something several sims away? Turn down yer draw distance, lady. Geesh.

I have to side with Madelaine here. (I suppose that makes me uusual too but I'm fine with that. I'm proud of it even, considering how people usually act and "think" :P.)

The diagonal across a sim is 362 m so that's the draw distance you need if you always want to see all of it. I supose that's the point of her 400 m draw distance.

Me, I'm not really concerned about sim size vs draw distance as such but I like wide open spaces and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does. Unfortunately, due to uncoordinated and unoptimized content that is rarely an option. I think this is one of the major flaws of Second Life as it has turned out and one of its biggest lost potentials.

Edited by ChinRey

3 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I actually had DD at 1024 earlier that day. I set it high when teleport jumping across large spaces. SL feels very different to me when I can see half a mile. If I land in a spot worth investigating in detail, I'll drop DD.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

In Firestorm I get those messages all the time, as does my girlie alt Jenna. Don't really care, I'm there to shop or whatever, not to be seen. As long as I can move and don't crash I'm good (I also use the "friends only" tactic). Jenna prefers seeing those messages, as "may not be seen by everyone" generally means she has less "Hi, nice a**. Wanna f***?" IM's to deal with!

Don't forget that that when your draw distance lets you see into adjoining regions you're also impacting the simulators running those regions as they then have to feed you the data about what there is there for you to see. (That's the "child agent" thing you'll see if you look in the statistics window.)

Having said that, I generally run with a 512m draw distance because a) my computer can, while maintaining a decent frame rate, and b) because I like sailing, and I like to see my surroundings (sailing in a void is kind of pointless), and I prefer to see oncoming maniacs in their speedboats in plenty of time to avoid colliding with them (given that they'll have their draw distances turned down so low, and their speed cranked up so high that they won't see anything in front of them until they have about 0.035 seconds to react).

Edited by KT Kingsley
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lavalois said:

If you are using Firestorm, there might even be a better option to cut down on viewer side lag. What I do to cut down on lag in very busy events, I go to world menu, and select 'Show friends only' at the very bottom of the menu. This will derender everyone that is not on your friendslist. Navigating might be a bit tricky as you can walk into people, but then again, in laggy sim everyone remaining around the landing spot, is prone to be walked into. Personally, I navigate by the minimap in those situations.

The setting will be turned off automatically on teleport, so you do not need to remember turning it off.

I click that setting also.  I then move away from the landing zone, and Hover in fly mode (unless the region does not allow Fly) and cam shop.  That takes care of bumping in to folks that I can't see.

• Like 2

One thing I like about Catznip over Firestorm is you can render others as silhouettes.  That way you can see where they are but it's a lot less laggy.   You can also have exceptions such as friends and you can make exceptions on an avatar by avatar basis.  If i go to a live music show I can make the singer an exception so I can see them but the audience is just silhouettes.  

When I'm in a ship battle I turn my DD up to 272 so I can see other ships approaching before they enter my maximum range of about 175 meters but I do turn down other graphic settings.  You don't need shadows to sink a pirate.  Turning off transparent water has a huge impact while sailing but isn't as pretty if you''re just cruising.

When did sim get to be a dirty word?  That's what Phillip Linden called them when I started so I use that term as well.

[eta]

Actually region was specifically the land but sim was the whole thing.  A region has a limited width but a sim has avatar limits.  That said, the terms were often called interchangeable.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you please remind me how to make those notices go away -- forever, and ever, amen?

Mine is at 13000 even with a complicated Dinkie get-up. But I don't want to know about this. If I go to a laggy event, I will try to remove the worst jewelry attachments like giant shaman headdresses but de-rendering the other avatars is probably more useful.

37 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

When did sim get to be a dirty word?  That's what Phillip Linden called them when I started so I use that term as well.

[eta]

Actually region was specifically the land but sim was the whole thing.  A region has a limited width but a sim has avatar limits.  That said, the terms were often called interchangeable.

Patch got quite upset many months ago about people calling our land mass chuncks "sims" instead of regions which he said was the CORRECT term.   I used region for awhile and then decided it had been a "sim" for a decade and now don't worry about it. Much like "cashing out" was the term most all of us used for that same decade and is now "Process Credit" .  

So I suspect people will understand you whether you are "correct" or not  *wink*. 

On 3/9/2020 at 9:26 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

Nope. I see it all the time on Firestorm. And moments later it pops up again saying that "others can see me  now!" \o/ 9_9

I particularly enjoy that message. It means someone specifically took the time to render me that couldn't see me previously.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.