I didn't expect this

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it depends on the location or activity. If someone has a pretty poor computer, and they want or need to do something where it's very crowded, rendering no one might be the only way they can do it. Maybe someone wishes to avoid distraction. Maybe someone believes, mistakenly or otherwise, that de-rendering everyone gives them some other benefit
  The behaviors of a few people in a crowd will nearly always defy explanation.

5 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Nah. Sometimes though, there's a little whisper that comes from dark prim corners. "...you may not be real..."

That one worries me.

We might all be figments of someone else's imagination.  If so, there's no good reason to worry about dieting or paying taxes.  We can let someone else imagine them for us.  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I see that all the time, as well as one that tells me everyone can see me.

But do you see it if/when your rener complexity is well below 30,000?

I know there are unusual people like Madelaine but...

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Regardless of what we may think about render complexity and those alerts that keep popping up, isn't this one a bit unusual?

bilde.png.d45dde1cc8878764003d9fd429abafe9.png

Nope. I see it all the time on Firestorm. And moments later it pops up again saying that "others can see me  now!" \o/ 9_9

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Nope. I see it all the time on Firestorm. And moments later it pops up again saying that "others can see me  now!" \o/ 9_9

Well, to be fair, I've even seen the "You may not be rendered by everyone around you" when I've been all alone on an isolated sim.

Come to think of it, I've even got that message on my SoaS grid and if anybody could see me there, I'd be really worried indeed.

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Yes, I do. Every shopping event. Often around Bellisseria. People crank it down. I do it, too.

I wuldn't know that. I never ever go to such places.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

There are, possibly, people who get more complex the less they wear.

Or maybe more interesting anyway.  Complexity is a non-linear stochastic function in RL.  Some people confound imagination.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Regardless of what we may think about render complexity and those alerts that keep popping up, isn't this one a bit unusual?

I don't know about other viewers but definitely on Firestorm in Prefs > Notifications > Alerts you can stop that from showing up scroll down to "Warn me if my avatar complexity may be too high" click it and click the down arrow to move it in to the "Never show" section

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It is possible that you would see that if I was near you.  Anytime I'm popping around potentially crowded events, I drop my 'maximum complexity' slider all the way down to 20,000.  So anyone around me that is higher than 20,000 would possibly get that message.

Then, since I'm quite forgetful about my settings, it may stay at 20,000 for quite some time until suddenly I notice that almost everyone around me is a colored blob.  Sometimes that can take a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I can see everyone lol.   PPHQcrM.png  but never been told I can not be seen.

I always advise my Avatar Safety students to not set "No Limit" on their Complexity slider.  By setting it just under No Limit, say about 350,000, you protect yourself against griefers wearing graphics crashers, which have complexities in the millions.  Yet you will still see most avatars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So anyone around me that is higher than 20,000 would possibly get that message.

I always get the message that not everyone can see me in crowded events and then 5 minutes or so later everyone can.  When someone new shows up it goes back to not everyone being able to see me.  I wonder if it sends the signal that you can "see me" even though I am a colored blob to you.

All that time and money and you've reduced my AV to a blob... XD

Edited by Evah Baxton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Hey! Who you callin' "unusual"???

440104534_20KARC.png.9e6ee1edfeec32ab105f5bc6efefdcd4.png

/me ponders how to respond to the revelation that, in every instance in the past when Maddy has complimented her avi or outfit, she's actually been seeing a purple blob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.