avatar 'eyes' end up in different places everytime i put on the av

Rumancekk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have an avatar who's eyes are just two 'objects' set to a yellow glow. It has no actual eyes, they're kind of just painted onto the face so buying some glowing eyes would not work. I think I set them to the alt ears and they're fine if I log in and out with the avatar but the minute I put a new outfit on, and change back, the eyes end up somewhere wildly different. Sometimes, inside the head, sometimes outside of it. But the avatar itself came with an 'object' that's on the chest/stomach and it has never moved.

why is this happening, and how can i fix it?

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Pictures are your friend, and ours.

Also, why put the eyes on your ears attach point? Why not on the eyes attach point?

becuase when i would look anywhere with my mouse the eyes would come out of the head

11 hours ago, Rumancekk said:

becuase when i would look anywhere with my mouse the eyes would come out of the head

Your problem will persist as long as you attach the eyes to another point than eyes.

I have to edit my mesh eyes on a human head too. I have to push them more in. It can be done under edit appearance - edit - shape - edit eyes. I don't remember what the setting is named, is it eye depth?

But if you don't need moving eyes, if you are using Firestorm - preferences- firestorm - disable eye movements.

I never use another viewer than Firestorm, so I don't know what else to do. But there are lock eyes things to buy. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AnyPose-Expression/2613652

This is old, I bought mine in 2011, But it still works for changing eye poses. It holds the eyes wherever you want them. Like staring straight ahead. You have to wear this all the time, but you can minimize it. I assume you must do this every time you log in again.

IF something moves from where you set it via edit, make sure to save the change before you do anything else. You do that by editing, exiting edit, then detaching the item and re-attaching it. It should reattach without change.

On a laggy region that may not happen. You may have to find a deserted region and try again. 

If you edit something and continue to wear it it the change may not get saved when you exit. Viewers, especially some Firestorm versions, tend to crash silently on exit. Depending on where the viewer is in the shut down process your changes do or don't get saved.

22 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

IF something moves from where you set it via edit, make sure to save the change before you do anything else. You do that by editing, exiting edit, then detaching the item and re-attaching it. It should reattach without change.

On a laggy region that may not happen. You may have to find a deserted region and try again. 

If you edit something and continue to wear it it the change may not get saved when you exit. Viewers, especially some Firestorm versions, tend to crash silently on exit. Depending on where the viewer is in the shut down process your changes do or don't get saved.

i thought this might make sense but then i realized it doesn't happen all the time. i went the other day to do it; load up the avatar after having logged off, and they were in the right place. but when i went to do it again later, they were inside the head again. i can try saving it again when i get back on later though and see if it helps

On 3/10/2020 at 2:18 AM, Marianne Little said:

Your problem will persist as long as you attach the eyes to another point than eyes.

I have to edit my mesh eyes on a human head too. I have to push them more in. It can be done under edit appearance - edit - shape - edit eyes. I don't remember what the setting is named, is it eye depth?

But if you don't need moving eyes, if you are using Firestorm - preferences- firestorm - disable eye movements.

I never use another viewer than Firestorm, so I don't know what else to do. But there are lock eyes things to buy. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AnyPose-Expression/2613652

This is old, I bought mine in 2011, But it still works for changing eye poses. It holds the eyes wherever you want them. Like staring straight ahead. You have to wear this all the time, but you can minimize it. I assume you must do this every time you log in again.

i like using eye movement/head movement for my other avatars though. it'd be kind of a pain in the ass to turn it off and on for just one avatar.

i just don't understand why it's happening with these two objects. they are not eyes, they are simple objects. i have other avatars where i've attached things to the ear or eye and they are always in the right place when i load them. and also like i said the other object on the avatar never moves, but the eyes do.

there is no editing this head tho. it is not bento. doing anything to the face won't change it.

3 minutes ago, Rumancekk said:

there is no editing this head tho. it is not bento. doing anything to the face won't change it.

Are you changing your base shape at all? As the head is non-bento, you may not notice it if you do, but if you're using more than one shape, they may have different Eye Depth and Eye Size settings and that will definitely have an effect.  You need to make sure that all your shapes (that you use with this head) have the same Eye depth and size, otherwise you'll be forever moving them in and out to fit.

2 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Are you changing your base shape at all? As the head is non-bento, you may not notice it if you do, but if you're using more than one shape, they may have different Eye Depth and Eye Size settings and that will definitely have an effect.  You need to make sure that all your shapes (that you use with this head) have the same Eye depth and size, otherwise you'll be forever moving them in and out to fit.

i think the base shape is slightly taller than what it originally was when i bought it but i never touched anything in the head. but i didn't add these eyes until i had already edited the height.

it might be easier if i post a pic of the av to show what i'm talking about because it's not really a normal human avatar. i forgot i took a pic in the sandbox the other day.

there are 'eyes' underneath the glowing ones but they're completely built into the avatar and do not move

romansecondlife30430493_003.png

Edited by Rumancekk

Just now, Rumancekk said:

i think the base shape is slightly taller than what it originally was when i bought it but i never touched anything in the head. but i didn't add these eyes until i had already edited the height.

Hmm. I am completely stumped then.

I'm assuming this is the Ripper avatar that you were talking about in another thread?  If so, furry (and similar) heads are quite particular about the eyes, and they will only fit if left exactly as supplied, with no alteration to size or position.

I would be inclined to get a redelivery of the entire avatar (or just the head, if you bought that separately) and start again from scratch, and make sure you don't change the attachment points or position of anything (especially the eyes). 

Just now, Matty Luminos said:

Hmm. I am completely stumped then.

I'm assuming this is the Ripper avatar that you were talking about in another thread?  If so, furry (and similar) heads are quite particular about the eyes, and they will only fit if left exactly as supplied, with no alteration to size or position.

I would be inclined to get a redelivery of the entire avatar (or just the head, if you bought that separately) and start again from scratch, and make sure you don't change the attachment points or position of anything (especially the eyes). 

it's not the ripper av, i posted it above.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:19 PM, Rumancekk said:

I have an avatar who's eyes are just two 'objects' set to a yellow glow. It has no actual eyes, they're kind of just painted onto the face so buying some glowing eyes would not work. I think I set them to the alt ears and they're fine if I log in and out with the avatar but the minute I put a new outfit on, and change back, the eyes end up somewhere wildly different. Sometimes, inside the head, sometimes outside of it. But the avatar itself came with an 'object' that's on the chest/stomach and it has never moved.

why is this happening, and how can i fix it?

What do you want these glowing "eyes" to do - just stay fixed in the eye sockets? If that's what you want you can attach them to just about any fixed attachment in your skull. The "alt ears" attachment points aren't fixed - they're new Bento attachment points that can be animated and a variety of animations might be throwing them off.

8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

What do you want these glowing "eyes" to do - just stay fixed in the eye sockets? If that's what you want you can attach them to just about any fixed attachment in your skull. The "alt ears" attachment points aren't fixed - they're new Bento attachment points that can be animated and a variety of animations might be throwing them off.

yes , i want them to stay where they are in the eye 'sockets' (there are no sockets, the eyes are built unblinking, fixed, into the head.) i think i already tried fixing it to the skull and they still moved. the alt ears is the only place where they stay put while i'm using it. but they go somewhere else when i reload the avatar and i need to put them back.

but the thing is, i am not bento. i am not using any different animations. when i load in the avatar after having logged off, and logged back in the eyes will be elsewhere. sometimes in different places. like, the other day i logged in, put the avatar on and they were fine. then the next day i logged in and put the avatar in and they were sunk deep into my skull. a while ago they were on either side of my head where i had never put them outside of the head. i posted the pic of the av above and what i want but i think i'm going to edit the actual avatar marketplace link into the first post because i am having a hard time explaining it.

edit:

i can't edit my first post for some reason, so please see the one underneath this post

Edited by Rumancekk

3 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I'm not finding any pic or link or even a name of what the avatar actually is, can you show us some details?

that's weird, i posted it in the thread. but i'm gonna post it again up at the top.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Scary-Mesh-Clown-Avatar/12972453

some details about the av: it is not bento at all. the head never changes expressions. it doesn't have actual eyes but for some reason it thinks it does when i attach it to the eye point.  it is an incredibly simplistic avatar.

edit

ok so i can't edit the first post....for some reason, only quote it, but i'll repost the pic again to you for what i am trying to do

romansecondlife30430493_003.png

Edited by Rumancekk

7 minutes ago, Rumancekk said:

that's weird, i posted it in the thread. but i'm gonna post it again up at the top.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Scary-Mesh-Clown-Avatar/12972453

some details about the av: it is not bento at all. the head never changes expressions. it doesn't have actual eyes but for some reason it thinks it does when i attach it to the eye point.  it is an incredibly simplistic avatar.

Hmm, with an all-in-one avatar like that, you're probably out of luck. All I can suggest here is contact the creator and ask for some advice, but I suspect it's sold with fixed eyes because the creator couldn't get separate ones to work either. Or else it's a rip from some other game, which is what it actually looks like to me. 

Edited by Matty Luminos

4 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Hmm, with an all-in-one avatar like that, you're probably out of luck. All I can suggest here is contact the creator and ask for some advice, but I suspect it's sold without eyes because the creator couldn't get them to work either. 

it's sold without eyes because the texture is plastered from an actual photo onto the head to make it as accurate as possible (even tho it looks a little weird)

the head is technically separate but i just..

i really do not understand how they work PERFECTLY while i am using it, but not when i reload it, and i have to move them back every time to where they are (but sometimes, it's fine?)

why would it be the avatar specifically causing this problem, and only on reloading the avatar after logging off?

Edited by Rumancekk

4 hours ago, Rumancekk said:

i really do not understand how they work PERFECTLY while i am using it, but not when i reload it, and i have to move them back every time to where they are (but sometimes, it's fine?)

why would it be the avatar specifically causing this problem, and only on reloading the avatar after logging off?

Hmm, I'd guess that the avatar probably includes a deformer. Re-logging will un-deform you (a deformer is basically an animation, and re-logging always stops any animations you had running). Detaching and re-attaching the avatar should re-start the deformer.

53 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Hmm, I'd guess that the avatar probably includes a deformer. Re-logging will un-deform you (a deformer is basically an animation, and re-logging always stops any animations you had running). Detaching and re-attaching the avatar should re-start the deformer.

This is the only thing in his outfit

wouldn't there be like...a deformer item?

there's other ***** at the bottom but it's just a base skin, hair, etc.

a7f782e137f335cea48f00755218a0dd.png

Edited by Rumancekk

You wouldn't see it in the Worn list; it'll be a script in the contents of something you're wearing. There may be an animation too, but not necessarily since the script can call for an animation via UUID instead.

Which reminds me of another way to fix it without relogging; find which part has the script in it, then reset scripts in that part.

Edited by Matty Luminos

To narrow things down, I would suggest making test copies of the outfit, with each copy not containing one of the items that's in the problematic outfit.

For example: outfit copy #1 would not contain the Spider Demon Legs & their HUD, outfit copy #2 would not contain the Pennywise Bumper, outfit copy 3 would not contain the balloon, etc. Make sure those 'eye objects' are included in each outfit copy, though.

Wear each of those copies in turn and relog. If the 'eye objects' stay in place after one specific relog, then the item missing from that outfit copy will be the one causing the problem.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.