SL lagging (tried re installing etc)

LexyFoxy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello 

My SL is very slow, as if my PC is 10 years old. Everything loads very long, especially textures, in clubs or places i usually lag. 

I ve tried to clean the cache, even re installed firestorm wirh revo uninstaller.

Tried this video called SL NVIDIA by Calla Cela but it didnt help. 

A friend suggested to upgrade the Graphics card. 

i m currently running on rtx strix 2080 but its not a Ti (so its not as fast and has only 8 gig ram, ti has 11 )

i hope to get ahold of nvidias 3000 series soon as my SL is lagging more and more, I was also thinking of changing my CPU  to intels 9700k  (currently using Ryen 3700x) a friend uses the intel and it seemed faster on another game we played.

any idea?

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

If you're on a RTX 2080 graphics card. It's safe to say you don't need an upgrade for SL.

SL is however CPU bound, a lot of downloading and processing has to happen before it get's to your GPU .. which is probably sitting on it's hands waiting for something to do. But you're running a Ryzen 3700 .. so ut's not that either.

(Your PC is easily in the top 1%)

I suggest you start by checking your network connection is solid, that you have 0.0% packet loss in the stats floater (SHIFT+CTRL+1). If you're on Wifi, switch to a wired Ethernet connection to your router and see if that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DSL is what it is. I had this for years. It goes as best it can

with other games the assets, like textures and models, are preloaded (downloaded to disk) before the game starts

with SL the assets are downloaded and cached as the game is played. So when we encounter assets inworld that haven't yet been downloaded, we have to wait. The wait time depends on our connection and/or how busy the asset server is

• Like 1

First step is start the Win-10 Resource Monitor, just type that in Cortana/Search and the app should come up in the list. You'll be able to see what resources are being used and by which programs.

Also, try the free HSMonitor to see how much of your CPU and video card is being used and to check temperatures in the computer. Anything near or over 75C will slow the computer.

Another handy tool is MemHistory. It will show you what memory is being consumed by your apps. I think it is more explanatory than the Resource Meter. Win-10 and an SL viewer will eat enough of 8GB that little else can run without crippling SL Viewer performance.

We need to see the equipment and viewer specs from the viewer's HELP->About... Paste the info in here. Otherwise, we are guessing blind.

Also, you need to define what YOU mean by slow. Are you meaning key/click response time? Scene render time? FPS?

You really haven't provided enough info for us to do more than wildly guess.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.