Finally, my very own Victorian home!

VonWulfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all.

I have finally got the Linden home I was seeking :)

I have been on a mission of the upmost importance since yesterday morning. I was up all night, well until 4am, constantly refreshing the house page, but alas, to no avail. I must have burnt at least a weeks worth of candles, the housekeeper was not at all pleased!

Luckily, the time was spent in good company with Jeremy Brett & David Burke. I also had a copy of 'The league of extraordinary gentlemen', close at hand, a very fine publication indeed.

My mission started in earnest again today and finally after another 4 hours I was successful!

I decided on the Shelley style and have given it the name of Blackthorn Manor (for now).

I must say it is most gratifying to have a place to put up ones feet after a day of exploration.

I am extremely excited to start decorating and putting my own particular stamp on the place, to which end I sorely need advice.

There is a particular shade of green on the walls of Sherlock Homes rooms at  221b Baker Street (the Jeremy Brett tv episodes).

Is it possible to sample this colour in some way and apply it to the walls of Blackthorn Manor?

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

Hello all.

I have finally got the Linden home I was seeking :)

I have been on a mission of the upmost importance since yesterday morning. I was up all night, well until 4am, constantly refreshing the house page, but alas, to no avail. I must have burnt at least a weeks worth of candles, the housekeeper was not at all pleased!

Luckily, the time was spent in good company with Jeremy Brett & David Burke. I also had a copy of 'The league of extraordinary gentlemen', close at hand, a very fine publication indeed.

My mission started in earnest again today and finally after another 4 hours I was successful!

I decided on the Shelley style and have given it the name of Blackthorn Manor (for now).

I must say it is most gratifying to have a place to put up ones feet after a day of exploration.

I am extremely excited to start decorating and putting my own particular stamp on the place, to which end I sorely need advice.

There is a particular shade of green on the walls of Sherlock Homes rooms at  221b Baker Street (the Jeremy Brett tv episodes).

Is it possible to sample this colour in some way and apply it to the walls of Blackthorn Manor?

Yes, you probably can change the interior wall color to match your favorite shade of green. Scroll down to find the tutorial here for Victorian house panels. Look for the section for House Control Panels just inside your front door. Enjoy your new place!

Edited by Eleanor Anderton
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eleanor Anderton said:

Yes, you probably can change the interior wall color to match your favorite shade of green. Scroll down to find the tutorial here for Victorian house panels. Look for the section for House Control Panels just inside your front door. Enjoy your new place!

Most kind of you :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You'll find an expanded version of that same information in the notecard that's in your mailbox at the street, out in front of your home.  There's a lot of other useful stuff in there as well.

Ah, many thanks. I shall certainly have a good rummage when I get home. I must say, that is a very fine hat you have :) 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know of any group gifts that would fit the bill? Having spent the evening at the Home & Garden exhibition I have a significant shopping list for tomorrow. It would be very fine indeed to be able to soothe ones financial conscience with a few 'Yes you should not have spent so much, but you did get this for free.' :)

• Like 2

How lovely to hear your good news.  Hard work and determination certainly paid off!  I'm afraid I have no recommendations for group gifts as I tend to reuse old furniture, picking up a few interesting oddities on reduced-cost days, for which I receive notices from the groups !!Cosmopolitan Club & Lounge!! (yes, lots of exclamation marks) and Second Life Syndicate.  There may be many items in their lists that will not be at all relevant but you might find some gems included.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

How lovely to hear your good news.  Hard work and determination certainly paid off!  I'm afraid I have no recommendations for group gifts as I tend to reuse old furniture, picking up a few interesting oddities on reduced-cost days, for which I receive notices from the groups !!Cosmopolitan Club & Lounge!! (yes, lots of exclamation marks) and Second Life Syndicate.  There may be many items in their lists that will not be at all relevant but you might find some gems included.

Thank you :) A major shopping spree is planned for tomorrow :)

• Like 1

I do not remember my notecard (s) but Harcourt has a very nice oval frame free or 1 L on the MP, and Maison de Madame Marie some items, like a garden statue or two. My notecard should give the name of the rug pack I got from the Marketplace, was it 9 L for lots of rugs and rug textures? 

And the bedroom on the second floor, 1 L curtains. I re-textured them. You will have much fun when you edit your own things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

Had a look on IMDB and this screengrab is the only visual reference to the rooms I could see. Do you have a better image? (It's a shame there aren't any mod interior paint shells for Vics, because there are some tremendous wallpapers you would have been able to use.) Here are some colors that I sampled from the image, along with the RGB values you could use as starting points to get precisely the color(s) you want. 

Edit: Actually, Givoria does make a mod paint shell for the Verne - perhaps one for the Shelley is in the works.

holmes1.JPG

holmesgreens.jpg

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 5

• Moles

Remember too that when you change the color of an interior or exterior wall in a Victorian home, you will see a message in local chat that tells you what the RGB color vector for that color is. That can be handy if you are installing an add-on and want to match its color to your house.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

Does anyone know of any group gifts that would fit the bill? Having spent the evening at the Home & Garden exhibition I have a significant shopping list for tomorrow. It would be very fine indeed to be able to soothe ones financial conscience with a few 'Yes you should not have spent so much, but you did get this for free.' :)

i wouldn't spend a lot on just one event but go to real shops, join groups ..
for example "what next" ( has a load of freebies! .. and quite neutral style of items ( from plants to coffemakers and lawnmower to cuddle cushions)
another one where i go is "la Galleria" húge store for furniture, houses( not really for Bellaiii..sorry Beth, ), decor, and ver nice details for decor.
Don't forget to Apple Fall ( in special on monday, they pull a few names on that day for a shopping gift)
Use MP .. set the max of Li you want your search to show.. keep low, but watch you keep quality too..
What i see sometimes is people spend 100 LI to one or two cars, 70 to a bed .. prefer a high lighted and blinging 100 Li animated tree, and than keep the rest of the home empty because there's nothing left..
oh and for garden .. Studio Skye for the grasses and trees ... and look for Reid Parkin in search for the landmarks for flowers ...

i keep editting and adding :)
for a little critter in your garden.. a wanderer or attachable.. have a look at Jian .. :)

i have no home where you don't find at least some of the items by these creators.

Oh and.... i do like N4RS for furniture .. the store has a bit name to be aimed at gay users, but nearly all what Alecat makes is also available for straight and other mixes.

[edit 25 i think by now]

don't forget lot of people here are collecting items, furniture, decor, for many years already, we sometimes don't even have to think to search, we simply know..for X we go to store Y.. for W we go to store B ... and things like... for some stores we know they show items inworld but only sell at MP

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 5

It is very easy to make a wallpaper shell, especially if one stops where the curved window corner begins. It would be a lovely effect too, picking up one RGB color from the wallpaper to have around those windows.

Cough... it isn't a very good tutorial, but several people said they could follow it....

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 7

Go to PrimPossible and walk around to all the displays. Very many lamps are free to "buy" for 0 linden. Gold chandelier, wood chandelier, iron & wood chandelier and more, modern ones and standing lamps. They are no copy, so buy several ones.

If you are on Firestorm viewer, use area search for chandelier, zoom to them and buy.

Even better, search Primpossible, go to Filter and set "for sale between 0 and 0 linden".

Plus that PrimPossible and MeshPossible has gifts on the Marketplace. :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

Have you found your way to Noctis yet? Her inworld store is a Victorian delight, with over stuffed rooms that continue across the period street. She's had group gifts in the past, don't know about now, and often takes part in the Historical Hunts (Steam in March, Silk Road in June and Renaissance in September). Had a look for you and she isn't on the blog for the current one though :(  You might find something else you can use, not all gifts are pictured. https://historicalhunts.blogspot.com/

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I do not remember my notecard (s) but Harcourt has a very nice oval frame free or 1 L on the MP, and Maison de Madame Marie some items, like a garden statue or two. My notecard should give the name of the rug pack I got from the Marketplace, was it 9 L for lots of rugs and rug textures? 

And the bedroom on the second floor, 1 L curtains. I re-textured them. You will have much fun when you edit your own things. 

Most excellent :)

14 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Had a look on IMDB and this screengrab is the only visual reference to the rooms I could see. Do you have a better image? (It's a shame there aren't any mod interior paint shells for Vics, because there are some tremendous wallpapers you would have been able to use.) Here are some colors that I sampled from the image, along with the RGB values you could use as starting points to get precisely the color(s) you want. 

Edit: Actually, Givoria does make a mod paint shell for the Verne - perhaps one for the Shelley is in the works.

holmes1.JPG

holmesgreens.jpg

Fantastic! What is the process for taking a sample? I watched a few more episodes last night. It was then I realised the colour I was thinking of was from the government offices in 'The Greek Interpreter ' episode.

What is a mod paint shell by the way?

Edited by VonWulfen

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i wouldn't spend a lot on just one event but go to real shops, join groups ..
for example "what next" ( has a load of freebies! .. and quite neutral style of items ( from plants to coffemakers and lawnmower to cuddle cushions)
another one where i go is "la Galleria" húge store for furniture, houses( not really for Bellaiii..sorry Beth, ), decor, and ver nice details for decor.
Don't forget to Apple Fall ( in special on monday, they pull a few names on that day for a shopping gift)
Use MP .. set the max of Li you want your search to show.. keep low, but watch you keep quality too..
What i see sometimes is people spend 100 LI to one or two cars, 70 to a bed .. prefer a high lighted and blinging 100 Li animated tree, and than keep the rest of the home empty because there's nothing left..
oh and for garden .. Studio Skye for the grasses and trees ... and look for Reid Parkin in search for the landmarks for flowers ...

i keep editting and adding :)
for a little critter in your garden.. a wanderer or attachable.. have a look at Jian .. :)

i have no home where you don't find at least some of the items by these creators.

Oh and.... i do like N4RS for furniture .. the store has a bit name to be aimed at gay users, but nearly all what Alecat makes is also available for straight and other mixes.

[edit 25 i think by now]

don't forget lot of people here are collecting items, furniture, decor, for many years already, we sometimes don't even have to think to search, we simply know..for X we go to store Y.. for W we go to store B ... and things like... for some stores we know they show items inworld but only sell at MP

So very kind of you. I shall certainly include these locations in my exploration today :)

My first purchase is going to be some chairs and a small table with a tea set, for the veranda.

This way I can sit outside and say hello to anyone passing by.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It is very easy to make a wallpaper shell, especially if one stops where the curved window corner begins. It would be a lovely effect too, picking up one RGB color from the wallpaper to have around those windows.

Cough... it isn't a very good tutorial, but several people said they could follow it....

Many many thanks :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.