New to second life and need advice on creating my Avatar :)

VonWulfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

Ill try to sort it :)

You look better than many does after years! 🥰

Beware of the "you must be an alt of an experienced user" accusations. Alt = alternative account. Many of us have alts to hold land, to form a group, to use for the business so one can separate business/free time, roleplay, models to take pictures with. Instead of waiting several hours for another person to log in, use the alt as a model that never complains or must log off.

And some use an alt to keep their identity hidden, and do nasty things to others. People that experience this, are seeing others they think are alts everywhere. One of the things that trigger them, is that a young avatar look well put together. You are one in a hundred that are interested in your look and willing to learn and invest money from the start.

It is not you that do anything wrong. It is just how life is. People don't leave their insecurity, suspicion and fear behind in real life when they log in. The best you can do, is to keep calm and don't take it personal.

Edited by Marianne Little

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Beware of the "you must be an alt of an experienced user" accusations. Alt = alternative account. Many of us have alts to hold land, to form a group, to use for the business so one can separate business/free time, roleplay, models to take pictures with. Instead of waiting several hours for another person to log in, use the alt as a model that never complains or must log off.

And some use an alt to keep their identity hidden, and do nasty things to others. People that experience this, are seeing others they think are alts everywhere. One of the things that trigger them, is that a young avatar look well put together. You are one in a hundred that are interested in your look and willing to learn and invest money from the start.

It is not you that do anything wrong. It is just how life is. People don't leave their insecurity, suspicion and fear behind in real life when they log in. The best you can do, is to keep calm and don't take it personal.

If people had seen me pulling my hair out and frantically reading tons of posts on how to customise my character, then literally taking 3 days to get dressed im sure they would think different lol.

As a long time player of MMO,s I understand what an alt is. Like my main would be a rouge and an alt would be the other class l like to play. One of the first things I do on any MMO is work on my look. Its really important to be comfortable in your look, especially for RP reasons.

I just need to master how to change my hair now and I will be a happy camper :)

I wore the hair demo l like all day yesterday, finally bought it but when I tried to wear it, my face disappeared.

Why is that?

1 hour ago, VonWulfen said:

I wore the hair demo l like all day yesterday, finally bought it but when I tried to wear it, my face disappeared.

Why is that?

Welcome to the difference between ADD and WEAR in your inventory. ;) 

Your avatar has a fixed number of attachment points, and - when you select WEAR on any item in your inventory - that item will replace anything on the slot that it's set to occupy.  However, when you select ADD from inventory it will (as the name suggests) add it to that slot without removing what's already there. So what is happening is that both your head and your hair want the same slot (most likely that would be 'skull') so you need to right-click the hair in your inventory and select ADD instead of WEAR.

However... it's important to be aware that having too many things attached to the same slot can cause some of them to detach when you teleport. You may arrive at your destination still seeing them, but others around you might ask you (for example) where your head is. This means that your head has actually detached, but your viewer is confused and still rendering it. The people around you are seeing you as you are - with no head - but you're seeing what effectively amounts to a cached version. The same thing can sometimes happen with worn HUDs during teleport. If a worn HUD stops working after teleport, no matter how much you click it, it may have detached. Since you appear to be using the stock Linden Lab viewer I believe your only option to make them detach visibly is to relog (log out and back in again). The Firestorm viewer has a 'refresh attachments' option in its menu, but I'm not sure if the LL viewer has the same option.

You can see the attachment points used by each item you're wearing if you go into your inventory's WORN tab and look at what it says after the item name. Many rigged* (more on that in a second) mesh items are left to attach to the default point by their creators, and that default point tends to be the left hand. However, you can change the default attachment point on any rigged mesh item and it will still appear in the correct location. For example: you could attach your head to your left knee if you so desired, but it would still appear on top of your neck.

*Think of rigged mesh as the item being 'pinned' to your avatar at certain points, so that it always shows in the correct location, and it moves and flexes with your avatar. You'll know something is rigged if you right-click it in your inventory while wearing it, select EDIT**, and try to move it using the arrows that show up. If the arrows move but the item doesn't move, then it's a rigged item, and you can safely detach it, and re-attach to any other point that makes sense to you. If the item does move when you move the arrows, then it's unrigged and will need to remain attached to its relevant slot. If it moved too much then CTRL + Z while it's still selected will put it back to where it originally was.

**ETA: Now that I think about it, i don't think being able to edit direct from inventory is an option in the LL viewer either. It's been so long since I've used it that I can't remember! Another way to test is to right-click the item when it's on your avatar. If you get no menu option to Edit (or no menu at all; again, I can't recall the default behaviour) then it's most likely rigged.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

After just taking the Safety class, I now understand the alt thing.

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Welcome to the difference between ADD and WEAR in your inventory. ;) 

Your avatar has a fixed number of attachment points, and - when you select WEAR on any item in your inventory - that item will replace anything on the slot that it's set to occupy.  However, when you select ADD from inventory it will (as the name suggests) add it to that slot without removing what's already there. So what is happening is that both your head and your hair want the same slot (most likely that would be 'skull') so you need to right-click the hair in your inventory and select ADD instead of WEAR.

However... it's important to be aware that having too many things attached to the same slot can cause some of them to detach when you teleport. You may arrive at your destination still seeing them, but others around you might ask you (for example) where your head is. This means that your head has actually detached, but your viewer is confused and still rendering it. The people around you are seeing you as you are - with no head - but you're seeing what effectively amounts to a cached version. The same thing can sometimes happen with worn HUDs during teleport. If a worn HUD stops working after teleport, no matter how much you click it, it may have detached. Since you appear to be using the stock Linden Lab viewer I believe your only option to make them detach visibly is to relog (log out and back in again). The Firestorm viewer has a 'refresh attachments' option in its menu, but I'm not sure if the LL viewer has the same option.

You can see the attachment points used by each item you're wearing if you go into your inventory's WORN tab and look at what it says after the item name. Many rigged* (more on that in a second) mesh items are left to attach to the default point by their creators, and that default point tends to be the left hand. However, you can change the default attachment point on any rigged mesh item and it will still appear in the correct location. For example: you could attach your head to your left knee if you so desired, but it would still appear on top of your neck.

*Think of rigged mesh as the item being 'pinned' to your avatar at certain points, so that it always shows in the correct location, and it moves and flexes with your avatar. You'll know something is rigged if you right-click it in your inventory while wearing it, select EDIT**, and try to move it using the arrows that show up. If the arrows move but the item doesn't move, then it's a rigged item, and you can safely detach it, and re-attach to any other point that makes sense to you. If the item does move when you move the arrows, then it's unrigged and will need to remain attached to its relevant slot. If it moved too much then CTRL + Z while it's still selected will put it back to where it originally was.

**ETA: Now that I think about it, i don't think being able to edit direct from inventory is an option in the LL viewer either. It's been so long since I've used it that I can't remember! Another way to test is to right-click the item when it's on your avatar. If you get no menu option to Edit (or no menu at all; again, I can't recall the default behaviour) then it's most likely rigged.

Awesome, the add command worked :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.