Decisions, Decisions

Ajay McDowwll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I caught a lovely Linden home with my alt that I finally caved and went premium with on Friday.  I couldn't believe my luck, after trying so hard(and failing) to hit the release on Thursday, I hit it on Friday and got a vic on the water in Swithins Bridge just two doors down from the one I was lusting over.  And it's a keeper! I've been kinda quiet ever since because I'm so busy decorating.

Web 5e64dbe6289dd2211ed2ae1f

Web 5e64dc9bd774f84b1d860e7e

Web 5e64dd3dd9859c02b70b8af8

there are actually a few more trees in that sweet little park but I had to derender them in order to take the closer pics.

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely people, would you help to decide which home to keep? I really want to focus on just one home, reducing the number of accounts I have to focus on other stuff here.

The first home is locate in a great open space, next to a pond; since there are no hedges, it feels you have your own park (parcel limits shown in picture). However, it does not feel private (not that one can have an actual privacy in RL)

DaromnanGralViewSmall.thumb.png.8e70892f7c3437dcc196a08f62d21082.png

The second one is located in a private area, at the end of the road, with a lovely flower entrance. It feels cozy, but there is not water view

BayViewSmall.png.8ef65bc6060f7d569c37e1fbf010bcba.png

Which one appeals more to you? Thank for your comments

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

The first home is locate in a great open space, next to a pond; since there are no hedges, it feels you have your own park (parcel limits shown in picture). However, it does not feel private (not that one can have an actual privacy in RL)

The second one is located in a private area, at the end of the road, with a lovely flower entrance. It feels cozy, but there is not water view

Could you add some strategic trees/landscaping/fencing to the first one for more privacy? I'd personally go for the water view one too.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

Lovely people, would you help to decide which home to keep? I really want to focus on just one home, reducing the number of accounts I have to focus on other stuff here.

If that second one is the one near mine, I'd vote for it just because our Vics are in an awesome location!

• Thanks 1

I assume the 1st one has a neighbor directly across the street? Oh, and now I see the little rise the 2nd one has.  Nice having that long entrance, really must make it feel private.  The two have completely different feels to them, don't they? 

If I took the 2nd one, I might be tempted to take a cue from its walls and make rather "formal" garden areas, with at least one fountain.  The first is more to my personal taste,  tho, since I really love it when the landscaping is open and I can feel like the house has a big garden around it.  Plus that one has its own willow right on the parcel border, I love those willows. For lowprim screening, if you bought some of Studio Skye's enchanted forest back when it was everywhere, it blends fairly well with LL trees.  In open water situations, I sometimes put out a little sitting area of my own near the water on an anchor prim, sometimes with a path from the street directly to it, to make it clear that anyone can use it. (but rarely does anyone do that, lol)

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I assume the 1st one has a neighbor directly across the street? Oh, and now I see the little rise the 2nd one has.  Nice having that long entrance, really must make it feel private.  The two have completely different feels to them, don't they? 

If I took the 2nd one, I might be tempted to take a cue from its walls and make rather "formal" garden areas, with at least one fountain.  The first is more to my personal taste,  tho, since I really love it when the landscaping is open and I can feel like the house has a big garden around it.  Plus that one has its own willow right on the parcel border, I love those willows. For lowprim screening, if you bought some of Studio Skye's enchanted forest back when it was everywhere, it blends fairly well with LL trees.  In open water situations, I sometimes put out a little sitting area of my own near the water on an anchor prim, sometimes with a path from the street directly to it, to make it clear that anyone can use it. (but rarely does anyone do that, lol)

Right Nika, they have nothing to do :) I did derender the walls in the second one to make it look bigger, and there's a fountain in the front yard, but I still haven't found the motivation to work on the garden, that is partly why I want to concentrate everything in just one home. 

I'll have a look at that forest back, I have just seen their rivers, thank you for the tip. 

I can always write both names down, put them in a jag and then pick up a paper...

sideview.png

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Elena Core said:

I would go with the second one, but I also don't find water on the side very appealing as it's less likely to be seen than in the front or back.

• Thanks 1

Well, thank you wonderful ladies for helping out with this @LuLu Starbrook  @xrockinfree @Sylvia Tamalyn  @Nika Talaj @honeyshyla @RitaCallisto  ; your different perspectives have guided me to identify which aspects are key. 

Based on my RL circumstances, I want to concentrate on fewer things, and I really need to feel I have a cozy home, a hideaway actually, so I'm going for the second one, where I have placed a couple of little ponds and derendered the brick walls. That has made the parcel look much bigger.

Please, let me know if you're interested in getting the first one, maybe I can transfer it :)   Again, really appreacite your input, it has helped me so much.

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

Remember this thread?  Help me out here.

I love houseboats!  I hadn't had one for a long time when I caught this.  I began decorating it, and then hesitated.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ness/12/24/25

Plusses:

• I've never kept anything in Belli's older areas, tho they're really neat.
  • Surprisingly decent privacy.   The next-door slip is empty (no boat at all), and on the other side is a Linden (actually a very cool Linden), who of course is never there and has virtually nothing rezzed.  His slip is offset from mine, too, so no looking into windows.  Out back, there's an inlet, one house off to the side, and protected land.  Out front, there's water and, eventually, more boats.
  • Altho Ness has a full complement of homes (25), I don't have lag.
  • It's attached directly to real land, not an atoll.  That's important to me.  There's a sprinkling of benches and suchlike around.  Exploring is kind of neat around there.  There's a maze that I haven't visited yet.
  • Access to big water isn't BAD, altho it does involve going past a few parcels that I'd rather have!  Always just a little galling 🤣

Minuses:

• No great view.  What can I say, I'm spoiled.
  • The land is kind of flat, sandy and arid-seeming.
  • It's rectangular - I like rectangular houseboats, I was just kinda hoping to try a square one, which I've never had.
  • My lord, there are a LOT of boats around!

SO SPOILED!  Lots of people would love this, amiright? I kind of love it.

Should I go fish for a better one?  There are very few available, but some people have had good luck lately.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 2

@Nika Talaj, I am not sure I will be of much help, since I am not really fond of houseboats. However, after visiting the area, it seems one of the nicest ones I've seen. 

Most of these areas feel totally crowded to me, but here, there is some decent distance among the boats. As you mention, there are many boats around, but the whole theme seems to be built like that, I have seen very few water plots that can be private, the neighbour is just right there, not in Ness.

In my experience, whenever I have abandoned a home I was not sure about, I have regreted later. But whenever I've waited to make up my mind, there was no regret at all. 

And now, to end my confusing post: you can always think of the amazing Victorian you have. With that home, you can get rid of anything, because that is a jewel 

22 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I love houseboats!  I hadn't had one for a long time when I caught this.  I began decorating it, and then hesitated.

This to me is your answer. Whenever I get this, I let them go. Sometime it hurts a little, but ye...

Good luck.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• It's rectangular - I like rectangular houseboats, I was just kinda hoping to try a square one, which I've never had.

Should I go fish for a better one?  There are very few available, but some people have had good luck lately.

I had a houseboat for a while, in Shady Corners. I abandoned it because it was boats around, just looking into other boats, boats, boats. It was like a mirror of your place.

It was a good place, but I have not missed it. I had a square houseboat in Gaim, but I gave it up bc I was never there. I am more the land person.

So I think... if you are not exited about it, you can let it go and try to find one you will get exited over.

59 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Plusses:

• I've never kept anything in Belli's older areas, tho they're really neat.
  • Surprisingly decent privacy.   The next-door slip is empty (no boat at all), and on the other side is a Linden (actually a very cool Linden), who of course is never there and has virtually nothing rezzed.  His slip is offset from mine, too, so no looking into windows.  Out back, there's an inlet, one house off to the side, and protected land.  Out front, there's water and, eventually, more boats.
  • Altho Ness has a full complement of homes (25), I don't have lag.
  • It's attached directly to real land, not an atoll.  That's important to me.  There's a sprinkling of benches and suchlike around.  Exploring is kind of neat around there.  There's a maze that I haven't visited yet.
  • Access to big water isn't BAD, altho it does involve going past a few parcels that I'd rather have!  Always just a little galling 🤣

Minuses:

Your description makes it sound pretty awesome, enough so that I am going to log in and have a look in person because I'm nosy like that. I have to say, though, that having a Linden neighbor would be a huge plus for me, because you don't have to worry about insane stuff being rezzed (plus, it just plain makes the parcel more rare, you know?) 

Having said that, I find that if I can't get into decorating a place fairly quickly, and I let it go because of that, I have no regrets later. On the other hand, there aren't many houseboats... so without having gone in to snoop yet, my suggestion would be hold onto it and see if someone posts here they are about to let go of one you really want. Then make your move! In the meantime,  you may grow to love the special one you already have. :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

If it was me I would fish for a location I would like better.   This one is still nice, but not the sort of parcel I am looking for.   Sometimes I do what you do and try to decorate the parcel, but deep down I know I am not going to keep it even if it is a really nice parcel.  I have to feel it.

• Like 1

Now that I have visited in person, I'm going to swing back toward "let it go if you aren't feeling it". The parcel does have some great points, but I see what you mean about the rather bleak landscape there. It's weird because at the same time, it's a neat area because it has a road so nearby... umm, well, I'd probably let it go and if nothing else, have some fun playing GOH until I saw another houseboat pop up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you all!  I think I was clinging to this boat because of the difficulty of finding ANY houseboat that wasn't inside a bunch of atolls, but y'all are right.  If you don't feel it, why keep it?

PLUS, there's two other factors that I didn't mention.  One is that the alt who has it is monthly!  We were planning to pare down alts after we decided on what log home to keep, but once the moles stopped building, we find that we're spending money waiting ... and waiting ... we'll probably get rid of one of our log home parcels soon as well.

Secondly, when was I going to furnish this home anyway?  RL has gotten incredibly busy (it lets me spend 15 minutes here and there on forums,  but few blocks of inworld time).  And there's two scripts that I really want to write ... and the Vic that Elena referred to has been on the cusp of being finished for WEEKS now ...

Argh.  what was I thinking!

If anyone particularly wants this boat, let me know.  Otherwise, she will swim away sometime late tonight!

• Like 9

I belong here, addicted, hoarding/collecting constantly, constantly confused about what to keep.

Right now I have 4 Trads and 4 Victorians, but I let go of stuff constantly....is eight really bad?

LOL

I almost have no alts left to seek homes now, probably good.

I went crazy (against my first impression) on cabins and now that I rolled 500 cabins for 1.5 months I have exactly ZERO cabins...

At least I made up my mind there....

o.O

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.