How can I restore a missing cache folder?

Persephone Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I should probably ask this question on the Phoenix forums, but this isn't specifically a Phoenix problem & I'm having trouble registering on their unofficial forums.

A few days ago I apparently uploaded a trojan of some kind.  My anti-virus program tried to catch & contain it, but for some reason my desktop cache folders for my Third Party Viewers disappeared.  I cleaned out the trojans & restored my hard drive to an earlier point, but they are still missing from my desktop. 

( I put my viewer caches in separate folders on my desktop as a work around for frequent crashing with the Phoenix viewer. When one shares their SL cache between different viewers, this can cause crashing.)

When I try to log into SL with any of my TPV's they close before I can log in.  When I try to change in my Preferences where the cache should go, the viewer says that change will take effect *after* I load & close the program, - but then it won't load because it can't find the cache folder that's supposed to be there. I tired re-downloading Phoenix, but that didn't work either.

Should I delete my TPVs & then re-download them?  Or is there another way to fix the apparently missing cache folders?

(Edit to update.)

I uninstalled & reinstalled Phoenix, but it still crashed every time I try to log in. The only way I can get into SL right now is wirh Viewer 2, and I hate Viewer 2.

8 answers to this question

Persephone Emerald wrote:

When I try to change in my Preferences where the cache should go, the viewer says that change will take effect *after* I load & close the program, ...

If you're able to do that, can you not just create the folder that you're pointing Phoenix to, before closing it?

• Like 1

I tried to do that, but when I create a folder with the same name I used to have, it seems to just disappear off my desktop. I get a pop up asking me if I want to merge it with a pre-existing folder of the same name, but I don't see any pre-exiting folder.

When I rename it something different, the viewer tells me the change will take affect after I load it, but then it won't let me load it. It just crashes instead of loading.

Hi. I keep trying to think of something but I can't stop thinking about what has become a standard reply, so...have you tried deleting those hidden folders I keep reading about? Copied from LoveAngel:  If the problem remains, clear your cache (XP) - C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME) - Application Data \ SecondLife and C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME)\ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Second Life (Vista) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife and C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife (Win 7) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData - Roaming \ SecondLife and C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Local \Secondlife Delete everything in those folders and restart first your computer and after the program. Usually the folder Appdata is a hidden folder. (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)

• Like 1

Uninstall all viewers. Save chat files first if you wish, you can drop them back in afterwards. Remember to manually delete all Second Life, Phoenix and other TPV folders in AppData > Roaming and Local. Leave nothing there at all.

Now go to C; > Windows > Prefetch and delete the prefetch files for Phoenix, SecondLife and any other viewers you have.

Now reinstall Phoenix and try logging in.

• Like 1

I agree with Nyll that you need to uninstall ALL the vierwers. Also power dowm your modem / router  and your computer for at least 5 minutes. Check all the following paths and delete everything there:

(Win 7) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData - Roaming \ SecondLife AND

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Local \ Secondlife AND

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer AND

C: \ 623fl \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Local \ Temp \ Phoenix AND

C: \ 623fl \ Users\ (USER NAME)  \ AppData \ Roaming \ Secondlife

Check after uninstallation that you have deteled all files in folders:

C: \ 623fl \ Program Files \ SecondLiveViwer2 and Phoenix Viewer AND

C:\ Program Files \ SecondLiveViwer2 and Phoenix Viewer

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who anwered. I did a clean uninstall & installed the newest version of Phoenix today, which finally fixed the problem. All of you who said the problem was probably hidden files were right. I got rid of them before installing the newest Phoenix Viewer & now I'm back on SL again,Yay!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.