Alts on the forums

Talligurl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

46 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

So I made an alt and tried to log him onto the forums and I couldn't. I am assuming there is a waiting period. anyone know for how long?

not sure if it is a recent Linden change but the same question got asked a couple of days ago over on Reddit

Many years ago someone started a thread on the old SL forums for people who had never posted before (lurkers?) to add their first post. 

So I created an alt called Forumsinglepost Artful to make one post on that thread, after which I immediately deleted that account.  

I know I'm straying off-topic slightly and you can see how long ago this was because Forumsinglepost Artful had a proper second name. I wonder if the late Forumsinglepost holds the record for the shortest active account in SL at probably no more than 10 minutes between creation and deletion! I imagine that even 'throw-away' griefer alts last a bit longer than that before they get AR'd and LL catches up with them and bans them!

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have an alt that is premium and a beta user, and could not get logged into the forums.  Tried everything.  Asked for support, got told to raise a Jira, Jira said go back to support as the forums are 3rd party provided, finally after another 2 weeks support fixed it.

If all else fails, you will need to raise a ticket, the Support Lindens are very very good.

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Have you logged the alt inworld yet?  That might be a requirement.

ETA -- I just confirmed that you need to log inworld first.  Likely because that is when you accept the TOS.

I may have tried to do this before logging in Inworld, now that I have I should try again.

I was an alt for 3 years, then I became the main and my original avatar became an alt. Kattatonia posted on the forums until sometimes in 2011 or so, and I maybe posted once or twice before 2012 and then not again until sometimes last year(whenever it was that Dil's music thread reached 10,000 posts and died). Never had a problem.  none of my other alts have ever posted.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I DO NOT USE AN ALT ON THE FORUMS,  MY PERSONALITY IS SUCH THAT I COULD NEVER HIDE BEHIND AN ALT WITHOUT BEING FOUND OUT... AND YES MY CAP LOCK KEY IS BROKEN, I'VE TURNED THE DAMN THING OFF LIGHT ON LIGHT OFF... ALL CAPS. FREAKIN LAPTOP. SCUSE ME I'M GOING TO REBOOT.

Some days really aren't worth getting out of bed for ;) 

After you posted your question yesterday, I created a new alt, tried to log into forums, got a message saying access was denied or some such, and then when I went to log back in as Marigold, my main avatar, I found I still got the same access denied message, and couldn't log in any which way, until today. As I found I could do so at my brother's house, it had to be something to do with browser, although by this point (thinking while soaking in the bath), I'd already submitted a support ticket to Linden Lab, because I couldn't log in here to find the answer. Fixed it myself when I got out of the bath, haven't tried the alt yet. 

(My new alt is a male too. Making a new avatar was fun all over again.)

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

Some days really aren't worth getting out of bed for ;) 

After you posted your question yesterday, I created a new alt, tried to log into forums, got a message saying access was denied or some such, and then when I went to log back in as Marigold, my main avatar, I found I still got the same access denied message, and couldn't log in any which way, until today. As I found I could do so at my brother's house, it had to be something to do with browser, although by this point (thinking while soaking in the bath), I'd already submitted a support ticket to Linden Lab, because I couldn't log in here to find the answer. Fixed it myself when I got out of the bath, haven't tried the alt yet. 

(My new alt is a male too. Making a new avatar was fun all over again.)

And here he is ! (I am !!)  Default male avatar, but wearing a nice freebie bathrobe acquired from the London City sim I arrived inworld in. Quite a few people around looking shell shocked, made no new friends, but am full of cold and not feeling all that communicative while everything feels like a cotton wool head filled dream.

numptie.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

when I went to log back in as Marigold, my main avatar, I found I still got the same access denied message, and couldn't log in any which way, until today.

I had the same thing happen. I was able to log on with my I pad, and then later with my computer after I had restarted it.

• Like 1

Here I am with my 3 youngest alts. One of them has posted in the forums before and the others had never logged into them. They've all logged into SL; that's why they exist. As @LittleMe Jewell said, that's necessary to log into the forums. I suspect it's an additional barrier to the bot accounts we used to see here a lot. I'm the little one at the bottom of the picture.

Peri, Parhindon, Par, Mel

I've logged them all in to the forums so they can have their first (and very likely last) post. Peri's had some posts before, so this is a way to show that she's one of my alts.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.