MuseSpirit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello! I have an Intel HD Graphics Card, and I know it's not the best to play SL with, but that's all I can deal with at the moment.

I could really use some help if possible. I use the Firestorm Viewer ( x64 ), and my laptop is a HP Stream Notebook. ( Windows 10 )

My game constantly crashes, lags or the screen/viewer freezes up and/or the screen turns black and I end up getting disconnected. My game has severely low FPS. ( Under 10-12 ) I've tried to do research on how to fix the problem, such as installing the x32 version of the viewer, but to no avail as it doesn't work with my graphics card.

I've tried to lower the sliders on the quality/performance to low, but it makes my game buggy and the viewer weird-looking, and it doesn't help. I have also tried to change my graphics card settings to Performance, and the power settings with it, but it doesn't change anything.

If you know of any tips or advice, or if you also have an Intel HD graphics card, please tell me how the game works for you and how did you improve your performance?

Thanks in advance. :)

3 answers to this question

You're fighting an uphill battle. The Intel graphics chip on your notebook's motherboard is not well suited for SL  In fact, the notebook itself isn't.  That computer is designed for light use (web browsing, e-mail, a YouTube video .... ), not for handling the real-time graphics and memory demands of SL. You are getting about the level of performance I would expect.  You can try lowering your draw distance to no more than 32m, setting your maximum avatar complexity as low as it will go, turning off advanced lighting, setting non-aliased avatars to 2, ..... and praying. Oh, and do not use a wifi connection, if you can avoid it.  If you do all those things, your performance will probably still be pretty dismal (about like mine was on a Gateway Colorbook in 2007), but you shouldn't disconnect as much.  The real solution is to get a computer that is designed for gaming applications.  Look for something with a dedicated graphics card rather than a chip on the motherboard, and at least 8 Gb of DRAM memory.

• Thanks 1

When you ask a tech question we need to know your computer and viewer specs, use the viewer's HELP->About... You can use HELP without logging in.

HD Graphics are a part of the Intel CPU. On desktop machines you can upgrade the CPU for very little money and that upgrades the graphics processor. Some laptops can be upgraded but that is more complex.

eBay has some decent machines for <=US$200... plus you can find deals on parts.

That’s about the performance you would reasonably get out of any Intel based HP stream. It’s either Intel HD400 or UHD600 on a bay trail Celeronor Pentium/cherry trail atom. It’s not gonna be a good performer for SL.

Those laptops had baseline design requirement of being able to play a 720p video stream and have 4 tabs of google docs open. That’s the actual criteria as designated by HP.

Obviously it plays SL, it’s not meant to, but it can, but you’re not gonna get any more performance out of it.

You can attempt installing something like Lubuntu for substantially reduced cpu and memory overhead as well as better igp drivers, install firestorm on that and see how it performs, sometimes it can be a little better with windows out of the picture.

Considering all this machine presumably does is web browse and play SL, Linux might be a better option overall.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.