FYI - Ebbe being interviewed live by Strawberry

Beth Macbain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Boomers, being the ones in power, have intentionally chosen to look the other way .. for personal and financial reasons .. for decades.

If you need to blame an entire generation of people, you're going to need to go further back than the boomers. The Greatest Generation effed everything up until the Silent Generation came along and effed everything before the boomers came along and effed everything up and just wait until me and my fellow apathetic Gen Xers start effing up things even more for the Millennials who will undoubtedly eff it all up for everyone even worse and then Gen Z really effs everything up for... 

Er... what's coming after Gen Z?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Er... what's coming after Gen Z?

Gen Å. Then Ä, then Ö. 

In Sweden, at least - I suppose the English-speaking countries will just have to stop breeding.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Gen Å. Then Ä, then Ö. 

In Sweden, at least - I suppose the English-speaking countries will just have to stop breeding.

Yes, they messed that up a little bit. The proper (ie Norwegian) Scandinavian 29 letter alphabet ends with Æ Ø Å. Even the Danes got that right. For some reason the Swedes puts the Å first of the three though. (They also use the German umlauts in place of the AE and OE ligatures but that's charmingly quirky.)

Not that I have anything against Swedes, mind you, some of my best friends are Swedes

8 hours ago, animats said:

Overall, the talk seemed so - unambitious. Nothing exciting ahead.

Maybe but to be too fair, it's still early. Let's see what they can come up with in a month or two.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:44 PM, animats said:
  • 5000 "new users logging into SL every day". (Does that mean the web site, which bots can use, or made it into the world?)

I assume it's in-world. But it's a bit worrying since it's only half of what it was only two or three years ago.

47 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, they messed that up a little bit. The proper (ie Norwegian) Scandinavian 29 letter alphabet ends with Æ Ø Å. Even the Danes got that right. For some reason the Swedes puts the Å first of the three though.

Actually, the umlauts make a lot of sense when you look at where they come from.

Ö/ö and Ä/ä used to be written as an O or A with a small 'e' on top of it, but as writing that smaller e required a thinner nib than the one you used to write the root letter, it was eventually turned into a stroke or two dots. Å/å is the same, except there was a small o on top of it - which is essentially the same thing we still do (although not everyone knows that's what it is). It's quicker and easier to write than making the fullblown ligatures, and I think that it looks better.

We only have 28 letters though, but I think we should go back to the 31-letter alphabet with short and long s, eth and thorn (and of course the ligature for 'ss' - 'ß')

Note how the only antiqua in this 18thC calendar is the Latin title for the month:

imagehandler.jpg?w=652

Edit: Also, also, note that February had 30 days! This is because Sweden, as a Protestant nation, didn't immediately switch to the 'new calendar'; it wasn't until 1753 that we changed it.

Bonus fact: Ampersand (&) is a ligature for 'et', Latin for 'and' - hence it's use in company titles and such; 'Svensson, Karlsson & Andersson' (which reminds me, we should also bring back -son and -dotter as surnames!). Originally, it was written thusly:

Bildresultat för gothic ligatures et

The incomprehensible noodle-doodle we use today is a weird cursive antiqua thing.

Edited by Orwar
Moar trivia.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Actually, the umlauts make a lot of sense when you look at where they come from.

Ö/ö and Ä/ä used to be written as an O or A with a small 'e' on top of it, but as writing that smaller e required a thinner nib than the one you used to write the root letter, it was eventually turned into a stroke or two dots. Å/å is the same, except there was a small o on top of it - which is essentially the same thing we still do (although not everyone knows that's what it is). It's quicker and easier to write than making the fullblown ligatures, and I think that it looks better.

We only have 28 letters though, but I think we should go back to the 31-letter alphabet with short and long s, eth and thorn (and of course the ligature for 'ss' - 'ß')

Note how the only antiqua in this 18thC calendar is the Latin title for the month:

imagehandler.jpg?w=652

Edit: Also, also, note that February had 30 days! This is because Sweden, as a Protestant nation, didn't immediately switch to the 'new calendar'; it wasn't until 1753 that we changed it.

Bonus fact: Ampersand (&) is a ligature for 'et', Latin for 'and' - hence it's use in company titles and such; 'Svensson, Karlsson & Andersson' (which reminds me, we should also bring back -son and -dotter as surnames!). Originally, it was written thusly:

Bildresultat för gothic ligatures et

The incomprehensible noodle-doodle we use today is a weird cursive antiqua thing.

OMG you're such a nerd. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I listened to the entire video, which I now regret.  My reaction is, "why are these people talking at all?"  The Sansar Project was the #1 priority, and now it is a complete unmitigated failure.  When your #1 priority fails, you have no credibility, and are no longer worth listening.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

I listened to the entire video, which I now regret.  My reaction is, "why are these people talking at all?"  The Sansar Project was the #1 priority, and now it is a complete unmitigated failure.  When your #1 priority fails, you have no credibility, and are no longer worth listening.  

Everyone's allowed to make mistakes.  Anyway it wouldn't be LL if it didn't make whoppers. :) 

• Like 2

they didn't appear there for Sansar, but for Second Life, and a little in general Linden Lab. They had something to tell, al be it not a lot.
If a company has several points of attention, and one gets removed, doesnt mean the other points get invalid.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Everyone's allowed to make mistakes.  Anyway it wouldn't be LL if it didn't make whoppers. :) 

We've been at this how many years now ?

The just listed and talked up all the stuff they have been saying and doing for the last year (when SL was not priority #1), there was nothing new for SL.

• Like 2

What are you basing that statement on?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChinRey said:
On 2/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, animats said:
  • 5000 "new users logging into SL every day". (Does that mean the web site, which bots can use, or made it into the world?)

I assume it's in-world. But it's a bit worrying since it's only half of what it was only two or three years ago.

Be careful when thinking about new user log-ins. It's retention that's key. New user sign-ups were once well over 20,000/day, while concurrency was declining. For every 20,000 people who entered for (perhaps) the first time on any particular day back then, approximately 20,010 left forever.

Concurrency seems to have stabilized. I view that 5000 number as an improvement. There's a finite number of people you can attract, then lose forever. The slower you go through them, the longer your potential lasts.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

• Community Manager

There's lots of good feedback on this thread that is being read and reviewed by all involved in the live stream and at SL. Just a quick heads up to everyone that we'll do more "Lab Gab" episodes that spotlight specific SL initiatives and teams (along with community interviews and explorations).

Next up will be the Moles (tentatively scheduled for Friday, Feb. 28) and then Marketing (tentatively on Friday, March 6). Ebbe has also confirmed that he will be back soon for another round, too. Are there specific things you'd like us to focus on for future episodes? Mobile? Linden Homes? The move to the cloud?

- Brett Linden (not giggling)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

19 minutes ago, Linden Lab said:

Brett Linden (not giggling)

suspicious-gif-3.gif

19 minutes ago, Linden Lab said:

Are there specific things you'd like us to focus on for future episodes? Mobile? Linden Homes? The move to the cloud?

I don't really keep up with what's in the pipeline as far as SL development goes, but I'd love to hear more about the Linden Homes and Belissiera in general. When I looked on the map the other day I noticed that there was a whole new chunk of land since last I'd checked - I'd really like to know more about the expansion plans.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Linden Lab said:

There's lots of good feedback on this thread that is being read and reviewed by all involved in the live stream and at SL. Just a quick heads up to everyone that we'll do more "Lab Gab" episodes that spotlight specific SL initiatives and teams (along with community interviews and explorations).

Next up will be the Moles (tentatively scheduled for Friday, Feb. 28) and then Marketing (tentatively on Friday, March 6). Ebbe has also confirmed that he will be back soon for another round, too. Are there specific things you'd like us to focus on for future episodes? Mobile? Linden Homes? The move to the cloud?

Yay, Moles!  I vote only avatars of Mole height be allowed to do that one. :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Linden Lab said:

Are there specific things you'd like us to focus on for future episodes?

I think you guys are off on the right path with bringing in different teams... the Moles, the marketing team, etc. Governance would be a good one as well. Ebbe more often, definitely. What other teams are there? 

I like the roadmaps. It's reassuring to hear the long-range plans. Suggestions would also be good. Give folks like Ebbe, Patch, Oz, Grumpity, etc., a chance to mull over some resident suggestions in real time. 

And to fend off the people who will invariably say that you're all only taking the softball questions, have the questions that the residents submit be viewable publicly somehow, maybe? A Google doc or something so people can see that the questions submitted are the ones being answered, except for the nasty rude ones that get rightfully ignored. 

All in all, I think making the Lab Gabs be focused on Lindens answering questions from residents is a fabulous step forward and in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

And to fend off the people who will invariably say that you're all only taking the softball questions, have the questions that the residents submit be viewable publicly somehow, maybe? A Google doc or something so people can see that the questions submitted are the ones being answered, except for the nasty rude ones that get rightfully ignored.

A good idea, but why a Google Doc?

Wouldn't these forums be a good place to list such questions? It's more public, more transparent, and more engaged. (For instance, one resident's question might well lead to another occurring to someone else.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linden Lab said:

Are there specific things you'd like us to focus on for future episodes?

A little vision, sexy new shiny, goals for improvements and growth ... chicken little has been firmly in residence after the Sansar collapse and we kinda need a little more than "here's all the stuff we've been working on/promising the last two years that's going to be here soon * "

*Linden values of soon may not equate, or be in any way similar, to common English use of soon. Soon is not a measure or indication of time. Do not take soon if you're already suffering from now. Speak to your doctor should soon happen sooner or at all, shortness of breath, some cancers and death have been reported. Soon is not regulated by the FDA and should not be used in conjunction with Ready, Almost or Nearly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Linden Lab said:

Are there specific things you'd like us to focus on for future episodes? Mobile? Linden Homes? The move to the cloud?

How about things like:

• How are you going about improving retention and the new user experience?
  • Are you actually reading the posts, blogs, blog comments, news article comments of users that left and why they left to try and use those as a way of how you can improve retention? - A lot of their comments from years ago still are not addressed.
  • Will in-world creation ever be competitive even in a basic form (i.e. prims can be joined into one whole mesh and uv mapped) to imported mesh?
  • Will homesteads always be locked archaically behind full regions even when moved to the cloud?
  • When will we see any form of better cache management e.g. the one hinted at that seems to be vapourware for a few years?
  • When will we see better inventory management whereby I can flag an item as 'Furniture" and the object icon changes from a yellow cube to a chair and then I can apply a filter to find all furniture flagged items?
  • Will we ever see some form of SL forum section for SL feature requests that is directly tied to Jira? For example I post a feature request in the forums and that is automatically transferred to Jira and vice versa. This would mean that those that don't know Jira has a feature request but knows of the forums can actually submit feature requests and allow people in the forums to see what features have been approved or not. This will show how you are making SL better to a much wider audience.

As CoffeeDujour said, its all well and good to talk about things you have been working on (for years and still not released) but we can find out how those are going by scrolling down in the forums. What users want to know is long term goals and how you intend to make SL relevant to a future and constantly moving userbase.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Linden Lab said:

Grid wide experiences. What happened to them

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.