FYI - Ebbe being interviewed live by Strawberry

Beth Macbain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

The only "disturbing" news that I heard was that EEP will be going live soon complete with known flaws and that content creators will (may) need to update their products because of the way things look.

Somehow I forsee Niran flipping his lid once again when this is released. But, expecting content creators to update their stuff based on the way things look... oof. Gonna wait and see just how bad this release will be.

Anyways, watched the interview and something stands out...

If SL is such a complicated architecture, then why didn't the cloud transition process start YEARS earlier? In 2012, Cloud Party was already officially using the cloud architecture to spin up/down instances when they were needed. I get CP was a new product and started the cloud up-front, but with SL being so complex, I think it would've been obvious to have started much, much sooner and focusing on it. Perhaps hired a team dedicated to it without interuption. It just seems like the cloud implementation is such a major foundational piece of what makes SL that other systems and even development progress rely on to be in place.

Well, since it's been 702 days since they first announced the return of last names it's totes understandable that they don't want to give any specifics about when a feature will go live. First it was end of 2018 then speculated sometime in 2019 and now in February 2020 it's still some weeks off. Maybe the (™) after "soon (™)" really stands for (This Millennium), give or take a few centuries. /me giggles

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

Somehow I forsee Niran flipping his lid once again when this is released. But, expecting content creators to update their stuff based on the way things look... oof. Gonna wait and see just how bad this release will be.

Anyways, watched the interview and something stands out...

If SL is such a complicated architecture, then why didn't the cloud transition process start YEARS earlier? In 2012, Cloud Party was already officially using the cloud architecture to spin up/down instances when they were needed. I get CP was a new product and started the cloud up-front, but with SL being so complex, I think it would've been obvious to have started much, much sooner and focusing on it. Perhaps hired a team dedicated to it without interuption. It just seems like the cloud implementation is such a major foundational piece of what makes SL that other systems and even development progress rely on to be in place.

Cloud Party was a VERY LEAN platform. 256 textures were advised and sometimes putting many textures on ONE texture -- things that put it back to SL 2006 type days. Your scene (forgot what they were called) while very large at the end had VERY LIMITED for resources. No way could a SL sim  from 2012 work with what Cloud Party allowed. Cloud Party was also "on demand" while SL has always been persistent and "always on".  It was ALSO browser based using Chrome and NO VIEWER.  

So basically very little in common.    Beyond apples and oranges, more like a crab and a whale LOL.   

The Cloud was also fairly new, not that tested.    According to Lab Chat and other mentions moving to the cloud -- just getting READY for all parts to move -- is a huge undertaking.   Only so many things can happen at once. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Cloud Party was a VERY LEAN platform. 256 textures were advised and sometimes putting many textures on ONE texture -- things that put it back to SL 2006 type days. Your scene (forgot what they were called) while very large at the end had VERY LIMITED for resources. No way could a SL sim  from 2012 work with what Cloud Party allowed. Cloud Party was also "on demand" while SL has always been persistent and "always on". 

So basically very little in common.    Beyond apples and oranges, more like a crab and a whale LOL.   

The Cloud was also fairly new, not that tested.    According to Lab Chat and other mentions moving to the cloud -- just getting READY for all parts to move -- is a huge undertaking.   Only so many things can happen at once. 

If the cloud existed back then, and LL is working with the cloud, then a team dedicated to getting the cloud in place much sooner seems like an important focus in order to get further systems in place going into the future that rely on the cloud. You guys can disagree with me but I think the cloud for SL could've been officially in place years ealier. A lot of things tend to take a long time with LL because of priorities shifting around and lack of resources/heads to get things done.

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi

2 hours ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

If the cloud existed back then, and LL is working with the cloud, then a team dedicated to getting the cloud in place much sooner seems like an important focus in order to get further systems in place going into the future that rely on the cloud. You guys can disagree with me but I think the cloud for SL could've been officially in place years ealier. A lot of things tend to take a long time with LL because of priorities shifting around and lack of resources/heads to get things done.

A whole lot of SL moved to the cloud in recent years. The sticky part is last and biggest: the region simulation itself. They've been working on that one for years too, but it's hard with a skeleton staff. It's hard anyway -- the SL way of scaling contiguous geography is the challenge nobody else wants -- but imagine trying to do it with only half the server development staff needed to keep the platform viable: that "lack of resources/heads" problem.

It's hard not to wonder if the whole "uplift" project might be done by now, had Sansar been spun off/out sooner. It's not fair of me to second-guess; I don't know what went into the decisions to keep Sansar going. I just hope it wasn't too late to matter.

• Like 2

Anyone who has experience in corporate meetings, which is probably four people, knows there is a lot of joking and laughing otherwise they would be unbearable.  The problem is that the culture does not translate well to a public forum.  Ebbe is a CEO.  He speaks CEO.  He is used to dealing with corporate people and employees.  Outside of that milieu he is not going to sound as smart as he is.  His comment about creators having to adjust to EEP was a bad approach.  It merely makes EEP sound undesirable, which it may be.  Is it really a feature that justifies the expense?  My guess is that it will be mesh builds that will be most affected.  Prims are harder to screw with, or adjust.

Speaking of expense, the plug should have been pulled on the Edsel, er, Sansar long ago.

Strawberry did not do a bad job.  The problem with using an employee to conduct the interview is that the employee will almost always ask seriously softball questions.  They tend to like their jobs.  To have been done right a resident with some journalism experience who is not a lab employee should have been moderator and I don't meen a blogger.  Someone who actually knows how to ask a question.  Seriously, a smaller landowner who does not deal in trading regions is not going to care less about that pricing and thinks the enthusiam about it somewhat crazy.

The whole "ploose" thing was just annoying.  If you can't say what it will include for the price just don't talk about it at all and if, when the time comes, try not to sound like your enthusiasm for the extra 1000 groups is going cause your head to fly off.

Other than that, I have to mention Ebbe's AO.  If I were to sit like that at meeting everyone would be wondering who was going to be fired.  It made him look like he was in a state of perpetual disgust.

But the kitties were cute.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Anyone who has experience in corporate meetings, which is probably four people, knows there is a lot of joking and laughing otherwise they would be unbearable. 

You obviously worked for a different corporation than I.

And can you be any more condescending?

That's about as far as I got before hitting my new favorite error: unexpected end of patience.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Corporate cultures do vary greatly.  I didn't find the people in this video to be too out of line.  I don't consider this soft interview to be a formal venue or presentation.  The only complaint I would have is the gross inconsistency with the audio dialog amplitude.  Attendees: Please visit Voice Echo Canyon and yodel to yourselves while getting a feel for how far you should be from the microphone and do adjust the gain.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

but imagine trying to do it with only half the server development staff needed to keep the platform viable: that "lack of resources/heads" problem.

I didn't check yesterday but the Lab has a new job up for a Systems Engineer. The jobs page was empty just some days ago so it's very recent. The posting seems to ask for things related to the AWS/cloud system.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

I didn't check yesterday but the Lab has a new job up for a Systems Engineer. The jobs page was empty just some days ago so it's very recent. The posting seems to ask for things related to the AWS/cloud system.

(One of the) Responsibilities: Split up fights between groups of computers. :D 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Anyone who has experience in corporate meetings, which is probably four people, knows there is a lot of joking and laughing otherwise they would be unbearable.

First off... 🖕 to your condescending and pompous attitude. A great many of us have spent hours upon hours in corporate boardrooms, and knew perfectly well that while, yes, there is laughter and joking, there is also a time when that stops and sh*t gets serious. 

Secondly, this wasn't a corporate meeting. It was an interview involving topics that a lot of people who spend a lot of money (and time) are interested in, and frustrated by. I know that behind closed doors, these issues are taken seriously and they are working on big plans for the long range future of LL and SL. I also hope that those meetings also include some laughing and fun because happy employees are better employees. I did come away feeling reassured that SL is in a stable place and stable hands, but I would have liked to have heard the broadcast without the giggling. 

The questions were submitted by residents. All Strawberry did was read them out loud. I submitted one myself. They weren't softball questions created by LL employees. I'm certain they were vetted, and I'm certain that there were some rude and/or ugly ones that were tossed out, just the same as during the Meet the Lindens interviews at SL16B. The questions were sent to Patch, and Patch relayed them to Ebbe. I know he vetted those first because mine (probably rightfully) didn't make the cut. 

My hope is that these Q&A interviews continue. I would love for Ebbe to do this once a month. I think the format worked out great. It was far better than doing it in an auditorium with 100 residents in local chat distracting from the interview.

I just could have done without the giggling. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

*shudders* you’re an Xer....*makes sign of the cross* Enomine patri et fillet et spiritu sancti

You just flunked English Grammar, Latin and your Catholic Confirmation class.  It's "In nomine patri, et filii, et spiritus sancti".  "In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost".  It is also "a" Xer, not "an".  Unless you're pronouncing "Xer" as "ex-er", not "Zer".  In that case, it's "an X-er"

...Looks at you through her pince-nez spectacles, taps her ruler in the palm of her hand, and assigns you extra homework.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You just flunked English Grammar, Latin and your Catholic Confirmation class.  It's "In nomine patri, et filii, et spiritus sancti".  "In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost".  It is also "a" Xer, not "an".  Unless you're pronouncing "Xer" as "ex-er", not "Zer".  In that case, it's "an X-er"

...Looks at you through her pince-nez spectacles, taps her ruler in the palm of her hand, and assigns you extra homework.

/me makes a note to be extra careful with words when Lindal is nearby... which could conceivably be at any time.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
because Rolig.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.