Mesh body requirements on RP Sim: Is It Racist, Body Shaming, Elitist, Prejudice? What Do We Call It?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Actually its a LOT more with having to do with the sim theme then the owner " Wanting some eyecandy". I won't deny that there are some bodies that look almost as bad as the system bodies ( For me personally thats the Female SLink Physique body) but to narrow it down needlessly to simply wanting eye candy simply isn't true. Mesh can look a LOT better than the system bodies if you get a quality body and for this sims particular theme where you odds are will end up naked at some point or another, its kind of a must, especially for women where the default body is just....*shudders*.

But don't equate to why you think the owner of this sim I am talking about has this requirement as truth  (And you did when you said "So what sims like this really communicate is the owner wanting some eyecandy, and it'd all be far more honest if they just admitted that." When in reality you don't know why they done it unless you asked them personally. Just because thats why YOU think they put the rule into effect, doesn't make it true

What else could it be about?

Objectively speaking the female system body really isn't that bad (the male one is, though, with the murder shoulderblades and the amazing folding torso), but it's possible to make the female one look pretty decent...). It's even better than the most common mesh body in some some respects, such as the shoulders!

The only way a theme would justify it is if the sim's meant for body types that the system body just can't manage, which is entirely fine if that's what it is.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pathetic?

Then yes, I would absolutely expect it to have a mesh requirement. I wish more adult places did this.  And banned the Aesthetic bodies. I have absolutely no desire to visit an adult region a

Anyone using the term racist in this context is a) clueless or b) trying to undermine the actual meaning You really do not want to know my options c and d.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Honestly, there are plenty of mesh bodies that look worse than the system avatar*. So what sims like this really communicate is the owner wanting some eyecandy, and it'd all be far more honest if they just admitted that.

It's no form of discrimination, it's more of an entitlement issue. "if you visit, you need to be dressed in a way that titillates me, because I own the place". That's what it's about, not mesh in particular.

*well, the female one... It's hard to do worse than the male system body.

The word you are looking for is control, more so than eyecandy.

See also: Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Honestly, there are plenty of mesh bodies that look worse than the system avatar*.

I know. I've been looking for a male mesh avatar. Can't find anything I really like better than the "Boris" classic avatar from White Tiger I have now. That could use a better head and hair, but the body is fine. Signature Geralt might be OK with enough work, but not a huge improvement.  Most of the male avatars are on steroids or too gay.

Edited by animats
Fix quote box
  • Confused 2
3 minutes ago, animats said:

I know. I've been looking for a male mesh avatar. Can't find anything I really like better than the "Boris" classic avatar from White Tiger I have now. That could use a better head and hair, but the body is fine. Signature Geralt might be OK with enough work, but not a huge improvement.  Most of the male avatars are on steroids or too gay.

You might want to fix your post since I'm not the one who said that. Copying a quote from a quote will change the name of the poster.

• Confused 1
36 minutes ago, animats said:

Honestly, there are plenty of mesh bodies that look worse than the system avatar*.

How does anything, a mesh body especially look "too gay."?

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, animats said:

Most of the male avatars are on steroids or too gay.

/me looks at year on calendar.

I will give you a moment to think on a better choice of words. I suggest a term like bishōnen - not it's actual Japanese meaning, but it's pop-culture (even somewhat within Japan) meaning. Men with a style of beauty traditionally seen as feminine: glamour, elegance, poise, fine-featured, etc.

Neither trend-line should be seen as an indicator of what form of genitalia an individual prefers to play with...

Personally my lament with male avatars has long been the lack of good bishōnen representation because that's the look I prefer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This whole thread reminds me of a recent event regarding an RP sim, was a sci-fi one, recently they barred off furry avatars. The problem is that most people that went there were in said furry avatars, as this was one of the few RP sims that allowed it.

I don't know if they've reversed the decision, but blocking off a lot of people like such, while allowed, is never a good idea.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

What else could it be about?

Objectively speaking the female system body really isn't that bad (the male one is, though, with the murder shoulderblades and the amazing folding torso), but it's possible to make the female one look pretty decent...).

Ya'll really don't want to see me with my alpha-mask turned off now do you?

Cause you might never recover...

But wanting 'quality looking avatars' can be about more than a desire for erotic-play. If I wanted to present a good visual overall for example. I've seen rules on residential sims like "all plants and furniture must be mesh, no sculpty or prim objects allowed" for this reason - wanted the graphics as a whole to look modern. If you expect yourself or visitors to want to take screenshots - that can end up being important.

You're trying to promote a certain image. Granted as a west coaster I'm the last person to be familiar with this example... but how many offices require professional wear rather than the anime-girl-panty-shot tank-tops (OK, I am blending two different engineers together there), shorts, and flip-flops I tend to see in Silicon Valley...

I can see this pretty easily for a roleplay sim... a LOT of that can be visually driven. Nobody wants to flip on Star Trek and see strings holding up the spaceship that flies by... or have the dragon in The Hobbit look like a guy in a 1950s rubber-suit... Sure the Rubber-Suit guy might look better than Henry Cavil's CGI-removed mustache... but it is STILL a rubber suit in 2020...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

How is a body gay? Or even "too gay"?

I have no idea, your avatar is like a piece of clay. You can make it look as muscular or lean as you want. I am also wondering what too gay means, when she is referring to a  body.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

/me looks at year on calendar.

I will give you a moment to think on a better choice of words. I suggest a term like bishōnen - not it's actual Japanese meaning, but it's pop-culture (even somewhat within Japan) meaning. Men with a style of beauty traditionally seen as feminine: glamour, elegance, poise, fine-featured, etc.

Neither trend-line should be seen as an indicator of what form of genitalia an individual prefers to play with...

Personally my lament with male avatars has long been the lack of good bishōnen representation because that's the look I prefer.

A better word to use is metrosexual.

59 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Amen they are! Sam Smith for example, he's gorgeous 😍

I thought Sam Smith was non binary and preferred they and them pronouns. I swear for someone who barely pays attention to that stuff, I clearly pay attention to it. Lol

2 hours ago, Shaniquaa69 said:

In my opinion, anyone and anything can get boinked in SL.

is lots of funny people in SL

at a sandbox once upon a time.  Person was wearing a white box and that's all. Alphaed body.  I go: cool outfit!  They go: thanks!  you want?  I go: yes please! (because sandbox).  They give and I wear the box outfit.  Then they go: Can I bump you?  I go: yes sure.  So they bump and my box turns pink and their box turns blue.  And they go: we are mating

was pretty funny 😺

• Haha 12
11 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

is lots of funny people in SL

at a sandbox once upon a time.  Person was wearing a white box and that's all. Alphaed body.  I go: cool outfit!  They go: thanks!  you want?  I go: yes please! (because sandbox).  They give and I wear the box outfit.  Then they go: Can I bump you?  I go: yes sure.  So they bump and my box turns pink and their box turns blue.  And they go: we are mating

was pretty funny 😺

One helluva bumper, I want one now.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Marth Coberts said:

One helluva bumper, I want one now.

a little script for how this can be done

integer shape;

{
   state_entry()
   {
      llSetColor(<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, ALL_SIDES);
      // shape 0 = pink. 1 = blue
      shape = llList2Integer(llGetObjectDetails(llGetOwner(), [OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE]), 0);
   }

attach(key id)
   {
      if (id) llResetScript();
   }

collision_start(integer num)
   {
      if (llGetDisplayName(llDetectedKey(0)) != "")
      {  // is another avatar
         // so change to pink or blue according to body shape
         llSetColor( llList2Vector([<1.0, 0.0, 0.5>, <0.0, 0.5, 1.0>], shape), ALL_SIDES);

llSetTimerEvent(5.0);
      }
   }

timer()
   {
      // change back to white after some seconds
      llSetTimerEvent(0.0);
      llSetColor(<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, ALL_SIDES);
   }
}

• Thanks 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.