Jump to content

Mesh body requirements on RP Sim: Is It Racist, Body Shaming, Elitist, Prejudice? What Do We Call It?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pathetic?

Then yes, I would absolutely expect it to have a mesh requirement. I wish more adult places did this.  And banned the Aesthetic bodies. I have absolutely no desire to visit an adult region a

Anyone using the term racist in this context is a) clueless or b) trying to undermine the actual meaning You really do not want to know my options c and d.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

One of my favorite Roleplay sims recently changed their rules, requiring everyone to wear a mesh body when down in the main RP area. If they are caught without one they get TPed back to the OOC ( Out of Character) RP area till they  can comply.

I've noticed and even heard firsthand  that people will call it racist to require such a thing, even though the sim isn't telling them to make their mesh a certain skin tone or race, they don't even tell them how to make the mesh look, just that they require they be mesh from the neck down in order to enjoy the sim. I've come to realize that most call it racist simply because they don't know what it is actually called

Now this isn't the first time I've seen a mesh requirement, especially in Roleplay sims but the question that I wanted to ask you all, is what would you call a Mesh body requirement?

My man went to a club recently to check on a DJ gig and they told him he had to leave since he was using a system avatar. So much for that.

  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Or perhaps the Ruth 2.0, which is free.

A SLIGHTLY different variant of Ruth 2.0 is RuthToo by Sean Heavy. It comes with more clothes, skins, slightly different HUDs and more of that stuff. 
Note that a male version exists too, and is called Roth 2.0 / RothToo.

P.S. To those unfamiliar with the Ruth 2.0 / Roth 2.0 project, it is an open source effort to bring a free, lightweight, quality mesh body to SL and OpenSim. Its license allows for variants of the body and its components to be modified, uploaded, or even created by other people than the original developers. The only Ruth/Roth 2.0 based ripoffs are the ones that charge money for them because Ruth/Roth 2.0 is supposed to be free and to remain free. 

P.P.S. Yes, the Ruth/Roth 2.0 body and the RuthToo/RothToo variants support BoM. All bodies include head, hands, feet, nails, alpha HUD, skin appliers and some clothes to get started.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

If there is some purpose, not pathetic. But if an attempt to feel superior, pathetic.

Something I should have pointed out in the original post, I didn't think it mattered or I would have originally, is the place I am referring to is a male on female forced fantasy RP sim where, without being too graphic on a general forum, involves a lot of pixel shaking. I have come to this sim and have known some of the older admins for quite a while, so I can say for certainty it wasn't done to feel some sort of silly superiority, it was for the particular theme the sim is known for

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

If there is some purpose, not pathetic. But if an attempt to feel superior, pathetic.

Depends on what do you see as purpose. And there's a good chance your meaning of purpose might not be the same as someone else's.

I've already seen plenty of people on forums (much less in world) calling such things pathetic, shallow and what not, whenever it comes up, but what those people tend to forget that others might not be in SL for the same reasons.

I won't speak for others, but for myself. I do not log to SL to make rl connections, I have zero interest in person behind an avatar and I won't ask (nor share) any rl details, I don't need or want online friends either (acquaintances/RP contacts are fine). For me SL is a playground where I mess around my region building stuff from some other people's creations, shop, dress up my avatar and explore other places from time to time.

I might randomly chat to someone if I have time and they IM me when they see me exploring/shopping somewhere, but other than that my form of socializing in SL is RP (yes, the adult kind). From this RP I want two things - a decent looking avatar (no, just "being mesh" won't do. default shapes, especially for one mesh heads brand, are awful, so are their default skins) and decent emoting skills. Obviously everyone has their standards and I'm well aware that some people might find my RP/emoting/English skills below their own standards and not everyone going to like my avatar either. And it's fine.

So if those conditions are not met, then I'm not going to engage (or stop it if it already started, in case I find emoting lacking) in RP. It's not to feel superior (and I find anyone who actually does... to be pretty silly), it's because I know what I want from my time in world. And I personally see it no different from having other standards, which most of us do have. Very much like a lot of people avoid talking to gesture spammers or ones who can't be bothered to type and use "u; r" etc.

But yeah, outside of RP I don't care what they wear/have or anything, so if a random talk happens and they behave like reasonable human beings, have something to say or ask and I have time for the chat, I'll talk to them.

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

For a role play sim I would call it senseless. Lag is a constant problem for all rp sims I've ever been to and then forcing people to wear more fitted mesh is the last thng you'd want to do.

That type of RP is usually not the one you imagine and mostly it's either standing still or sitting on some furniture while typing long-ish emotes.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Something I should have pointed out in the original post, I didn't think it mattered or I would have originally, is the place I am referring to is a male on female forced fantasy RP sim where, without being too graphic on a general forum, involves a lot of pixel shaking. I have come to this sim and have known some of the older admins for quite a while, so I can say for certainty it wasn't done to feel some sort of silly superiority, it was for the particular theme the sim is known for

Then not pathetic, just aesthetic. And even if pathetic, entirely within the right of sim owner, who may if she wishes demand visitors stand on their heads and whistle Dixie.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is a lot of emphasis on nudity in the sim then the mesh body requirement is understandable. It's like saying you must have a horse and jodhpurs if you want to join the equestrian sim. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish people would stop offering up Ruth/Roth 2.0 as alternatives to a decent, paid-for mesh body. Because they're not, and they're going to continue to disappoint people who are frustrated by trying to get them to look as good as Maitreya or Hourglass. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

One of my favorite Roleplay sims recently changed their rules, requiring everyone to wear a mesh body when down in the main RP area. If they are caught without one they get TPed back to the OOC ( Out of Character) RP area till they  can comply.

I've noticed and even heard firsthand  that people will call it racist to require such a thing, even though the sim isn't telling them to make their mesh a certain skin tone or race, they don't even tell them how to make the mesh look, just that they require they be mesh from the neck down in order to enjoy the sim. I've come to realize that most call it racist simply because they don't know what it is actually called

Now this isn't the first time I've seen a mesh requirement, especially in Roleplay sims but the question that I wanted to ask you all, is what would you call a Mesh body requirement?

I see this often in people's profiles.... you must have a mesh body for my attention.. I honestly went back to wearing my classic avatar a lot more.  This requirement is not racist, but it is a big reason mesh body sales are so high. The downsize is they are clogging up the effective playing of second life. I am so sick and tired of tping into a event or area and being accosted by body parts or clothing. Aside from the fact I am really tired of seeing naked people, having to shield my laptop screen so people are not thinking SL is nothing but a peep show... 

I would hope if they require it, they would offer free bodies people can use. The Ruth project is a free mesh body, are they passing that out to people?

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

   I don't think it's an issue really. Your land, your rules, make them as silly as you want - if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Is it bad for their traffic? Probably not terribly, as most people tend to have a mesh body anyway. Is it a rational requirement? Possibly? Perhaps not? Depends on what kind of place it is. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I would hope if they require it, they would offer free bodies people can use. The Ruth project is a free mesh body, are they passing that out to people?

The Ruth Project looks no better than the system body, and there are basically no clothes for it. What purpose would it serve for people who want to have pixel sex with attractive avatars to pass that body out?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be because I'm not inworld much, but the best system avatars still look fine to me, and I can't always tell them apart from the lower end mesh ones. Especially if heads are system. It's slightly odd logic to me anyway. Just because an av is mesh and high quality doesn't mean someone will find it attractive. If you like only tall and dark, then short and fair won't spin your wheels, no matter how wonderfully meshy it is. It may be a forced sex RP place but presumably you don't *have* to pixel bump with someone if you don't want to, so why would it matter if you don't find everyone attractive? 

It's just another example of a cultural shift that places more and more focus on aesthetics. Personally I don't find it makes the place or the people any more fun or pleasant to be around, but that's just me. 

They can set any rules they want for their sim and anyone is free not to go. Sim owners and users are free to think System Stacey is ugly and unrefined, Stacey is free to think they're a bunch of pillocks. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

 

The Ruth Project looks no better than the system body, and there are basically no clothes for it. What purpose would it serve for people who want to have pixel sex with attractive avatars to pass that body out?

You missed my point, not going to explain. Sorry.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call it anything in particular. It's not really any different from me expecting guests in my club be dressed formally for events; a mesh body or head is still just an attachment that you wear, it's practically no different from an item of clothing. Although given the cost of the average mesh body and head compared to the cost of a formal dress or tuxedo, it is probably a somewhat elitist expectation.

But it's their sim, their rules, and for those who can't or won't comply, there are plenty of other sims that don't have that requirement. 

It's absolutely not racist.

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

You missed my point, not going to explain. Sorry.

This is also a peeve of mine. Like what good does it do to tell someone they missed your point if you can't be bothered to explain how? It comes off as petty to me

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

If there is a lot of emphasis on nudity in the sim then the mesh body requirement is understandable

yes.  The crotch, inner thighs and lower butt ares of the standard avatar are a broken mess when nekkid and doing the animated humpty

as has been mentioned already by others here, there are some very low cost and free bodies which are measurably visually better (even when not on par overall with the top commercial brands) than the standard avatar

given that there are these free/cheap bodies available, then I don't think a request to wear a mesh body to do the public humpty on somebody else's parcel is unreasonable

on the racist idea. I can't even. It trivialises actual racism

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

What point? If system avatars don't cut the mustard for aesthetics, Ruth 2.0 won't be any better just because it's mesh.

Yet it does meet the requirement of being mesh.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

This is also a peeve of mine. Like what good does it do to tell someone they missed your point if you can't be bothered to explain how? It comes off as petty to me

There are people and situations where it does no good to explain your point - it is either understood or it isn't and no amount of explanation will change that.

This is such a situation.

Mind, @LittleMe Jewell above went ahead and explained it anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny part of that is, I've seen a fair few mesh bodied human and near human (Sidhe/Elves, Hybrids and the like) avatars that I personally wouldn't 'boink' with someone else's thirty foot pole and a few system body based avatars I'd certainly 'boink' ....

Mesh alone means nothing whatsoever.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Funny part of that is, I've seen a fair few mesh bodied human and near human (Sidhe/Elves, Hybrids and the like) avatars that I personally wouldn't 'boink' with someone else's thirty foot pole and a few system body based avatars I'd certainly 'boink' ....

Mesh alone means nothing whatsoever.

Yeah, absolutely this.

Now, start an adult sim that boots people who aren't fully literate, sexually imaginative, and intelligent, and we'll talk.

*coughs*

Assuming I was interested in that kind of thing, of course . . .

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...