IvyLarae

Mesh body requirements on RP Sim: Is It Racist, Body Shaming, Elitist, Prejudice? What Do We Call It?

I found the whole mesh body thing really complicated when I first joined. I didn’t have the money to spend on the mesh, I managed to get a free body and thought my avatar looked pretty good - got a world of clothing for it too. However, when looking at inworld employment and sims, it’s becoming more apparent that my choice is going to hinder me as mesh is the preference - yet I don’t want to part from my current. I didn’t see what the big deal was considering I’ve seen plenty gorgeous avatars that don’t have mesh and I adore the way mine looks! But I do agree, it’s the owners of the sims preference so I have simply started looking elsewhere!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LavenderCherie said:

I I’ve seen plenty gorgeous avatars that don’t have mesh and I adore the way mine looks!

this ^^

we should always dress to be happy in ourselves. Is no point in even logging in if we are not happy with how our avatar looks

Maybe it's because I'm newer, and lacking in the rose colored glasses of nostalgia for system avatars, but they just don't look like the same amount of effort is put into them. Standing beside one feels like looking at PS1 Cloud next to Cloud from the remake. And that's fair considering they were basically just LL slapping together a, at the time I'm sure decent, avatar shape so people could have something to move around. But they definitely have not stood the test of time. So a roleplay sim that wants people to put at least a minimum amount of effort in to their avatars makes sense to have this rule. I've seen plenty of completely free mesh avatars people made look good, but I honestly can't think of a single time I've seen a system avatar that I thought looked even just okay no matter how many hundreds of hours or even dollars that person poured in to making that avatar look like that. And it's fine if they're comfortable looking like that, but if the idea of roleplay is to create a character and tell a story with other people then having a look that puts people off or takes them out of the immersion entirely isn't exactly ideal. And if you like it, that's your thing, but you've also gotta accept that other people not liking it doesn't make you the victim of a hate crime.

• Like 4

This thread makes me think of those people who turn up to fancy clubs looking like hobos and then picking a fight with a bouncer because they were asked to smarten up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Considering how easy it is to get a full bento mesh body for free, and free mesh clothing, it really confuses me why people cling to their old system avatars. I mean they were great way back when, but now there are better options. Sure there might be a little bit of a learning curve, but heck LL just tossed a bone to luddites with BoM. You can wear the old paint clothes if you absolutely have to.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Niamh Kleiner said:

We can simply call it aestheticist. How's that for a word?

Except there's no actual discrimination or bigotry going on. No one is being systemically and institutionally oppressed for not wearing a mesh body. Let's get a grip. 

Just now, Blaise Glendevon said:

Except there's no actual discrimination or bigotry going on. No one is being systemically and institutionally oppressed for not wearing a mesh body. Let's get a grip. 

Actually, I was aiming for a touch of levity. I think this is all much ado about nothing but the OP asked what we would call it. I've spent a ton of lindens and time on my own avi but I don't care what anyone else's looks like, unless I feel like engaging in more exposed roleplay. When that occurs, I like knowing someone else has applied the same commitment. What's worse to me are the 8+ year olds who've never even bothered to pick up an AO although there are free ones everywhere. Everybody seems so concerned about figuring out the reasons behind this issue that we've lost track of the original question. I don't think there's anything about the actual situation to merit being taken seriously.

• Like 2

Just now, Niamh Kleiner said:

I don't think there's anything about the actual situation to merit being taken seriously.

I agree. I guess I wasn't able to tell the difference between the joke and the earnest arguments to this effect considering the tone of the thread. 

• Like 1