Jump to content

Mesh body requirements on RP Sim: Is It Racist, Body Shaming, Elitist, Prejudice? What Do We Call It?


IvyLarae
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

One of my favorite Roleplay sims recently changed their rules, requiring everyone to wear a mesh body when down in the main RP area. If they are caught without one they get TPed back to the OOC ( Out of Character) RP area till they  can comply.

I've noticed and even heard firsthand  that people will call it racist to require such a thing, even though the sim isn't telling them to make their mesh a certain skin tone or race, they don't even tell them how to make the mesh look, just that they require they be mesh from the neck down in order to enjoy the sim. I've come to realize that most call it racist simply because they don't know what it is actually called

Now this isn't the first time I've seen a mesh requirement, especially in Roleplay sims but the question that I wanted to ask you all, is what would you call a Mesh body requirement?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

I've come to realize that most call it racist simply because they don't know what it is actually called

They say it because "That's racist!" is a generic trollish comment of our times. I'm not saying that to minimize real issues but rather that 4chan trolls etc are responsible for much of internet culture and they've been saying "That's racist!" about random....everything for a long, LONG time now. 

As for the ban I'd call it inconsequential and move on to the next spot. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Does it need a label?

I would simply call it a requirement.  Not all that different than requiring period attire, human avatars, combat HUD, account age or any number of other requirements people put on their sims.

I agree and I've even made that point to some of the people I've talked to

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Does it need a label?

I would simply call it a requirement.  Not all that different than requiring period attire, human avatars, combat HUD, account age or any number of other requirements people put on their sims.

I tend to agree, but it's probably not good practice if you want to attract people to your sim. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mahala Roviana said:

I tend to agree, but it's probably not good practice if you want to attract people to your sim. 

But whats so different about this particular requirement? Theirs human only sims, Furries Only, Gay's only, Some ballrooms tell you how to dress in order to stay, most combat RP sims require you wear a hud, adult sims require you be 18 and older and noone even bats an eye at those requirements, but any time a mesh body is required, when people catch wind of it they lose their minds

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dumb for sure, but it’s just their requirement.

No TOS rules are being violated by requiring a mesh avatar to partake in the roleplay. They can have criteria and standards for their roleplay based on aesthetic quality and roleplay accuracy.

You wouldn’t let the winglessemoto F2p furry play in your stepford wives roleplay, it just doesn’t fit 

as long as there’s nothing discriminating against race, religion, gender or sexuality, really anything you couldn’t do irl, it’s up to them 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mahala Roviana said:

I tend to agree, but it's probably not good practice if you want to attract people to your sim. 

Oh, you are entirely right.  People can chose to visit or mot just the same as owner can chose any requirements.

Sure, requiring mesh will turn away SL newbies but it will also turn away others as well.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

But whats so different about this particular requirement? Theirs human only sims, Furries Only, Gay's only, Some ballrooms tell you how to dress in order to stay, most combat RP sims require you wear a hud, adult sims require you be 18 and older and noone even bats an eye at those requirements, but any time a mesh body is required, when people catch wind of it they lose their minds

 

Because it’s the only one that discriminates on F2p vs p2p.

It basically means you have to have spent X amount of L$ to play.

Which I’m not arguing against, that alone has some merit, but it’s why people get upset over avatar type requirements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Now this isn't the first time I've seen a mesh requirement, especially in Roleplay sims but the question that I wanted to ask you all, is what would you call a Mesh body requirement?

For a role play sim I would call it senseless. Lag is a constant problem for all rp sims I've ever been to and then forcing people to wear more fitted mesh is the last thng you'd want to do.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call it racist or any other label other than just another RP region requirement.  Without knowing what type of RP it is, it's hard to know if it relates to some type of aesthetic that they want to maintain.   

While it could mean those without L$'s might not be able to RP there, perhaps that is part of their strategy.  However, for those without L$'s - or a very limited amount available  to spend - they just need to spend some time to hunt out the free or almost free mesh bodies that are available from time to time - so they wouldn't be totally excluded.

Whether I would RP there or not, given that requirement, would depend on whether it was the only place that met my RP likes and expectations, or if I had other acceptable choices for the same type of RP.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

But whats so different about this particular requirement? Theirs human only sims, Furries Only, Gay's only, Some ballrooms tell you how to dress in order to stay, most combat RP sims require you wear a hud, adult sims require you be 18 and older and noone even bats an eye at those requirements, but any time a mesh body is required, when people catch wind of it they lose their minds

 

The other categories you mentioned are about types of characters and it's reasonable that someone creating a certain environment would create restrictions on the type of characters within it. (I'm not saying that I agree with all the restrictions you mention; only that they're reasonable.)

However, all other aspects being equal, a character is exactly the same type of character whether or not it's wearing a mesh body so requiring one doesn't fall under regulating types of characters in an environment.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

One of my favorite Roleplay sims recently changed their rules, requiring everyone to wear a mesh body when down in the main RP area. If they are caught without one they get TPed back to the OOC ( Out of Character) RP area till they  can comply.

I've noticed and even heard firsthand  that people will call it racist to require such a thing, even though the sim isn't telling them to make their mesh a certain skin tone or race, they don't even tell them how to make the mesh look, just that they require they be mesh from the neck down in order to enjoy the sim. I've come to realize that most call it racist simply because they don't know what it is actually called

Now this isn't the first time I've seen a mesh requirement, especially in Roleplay sims but the question that I wanted to ask you all, is what would you call a Mesh body requirement?

It isn't racist. It's controlling behavior. 

Any sim/region that has a requirement (of any kind) for a mesh body/head can take a flying leap off a cliff.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IvyLarae said:

Its adult Male and Female Forced RP

Then yes, I would absolutely expect it to have a mesh requirement. I wish more adult places did this. 

And banned the Aesthetic bodies.

I have absolutely no desire to visit an adult region and see naked system bodies and skins from 2006. It's not attractive to me and if I'm going to do the pixel-bump with someone, those pixels better look damn good.  

I have nothing against people who have made the choice to not go mesh for whatever reason, but I'm also not going to boink 'em. 

This sounds like a place where boinking is to be expected so mesh bodies, and heads, and bits, and bobs should be, too. 

  • Like 14
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...