could coronavirus be a good opportunity for sl

JahPorka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And yet you are laughing at misfortune in the Make me Laugh thread.  I don't get it.  I don't understand.  Is laughing at misfortune/death/disease/hoarding somehow different than discussing options for communication?

No one has to read this thread at all, but a few have come in to say others shouldn't discuss this because they disapprove.  Did I miss where someone wants people to die for greed?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

And yet you are laughing at misfortune in the Make me Laugh thread.

Literally no one is laughing at anyone’s misfortune in that thread. We are trying to get through this incredibly horrid time that every single one of us is dealing with by making each other laugh. Perhaps some things verge on gallows humor (but not really, not that I’ve noticed) but each of us is getting through this miserable hell in any way we can.

Since I started that thread, I’m incredibly insulted that you are trying to make it into something it isn’t. I’m repulsed by your insinuation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

And yet you are laughing at misfortune in the Make me Laugh thread.  I don't get it.  I don't understand.  Is laughing at misfortune/death/disease/hoarding somehow different than discussing options for communication?

No one has to read this thread at all, but a few have come in to say others shouldn't discuss this because they disapprove.  Did I miss where someone wants people to die for greed?

You are way off base. None of the memes I have posted make fun of people who are ill, dying or dead. 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

It's okay that you are repulsed.  I am enjoying that thread.  (there is another response in between because we were both tying at the same time)

What I don't get is why that is acceptable and this isn't.

I'm not making any Ls off the images I post that I can turn around, convert to US dollars and withdraw (cash out).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You are way off base. None of the memes I have posted make fun of people who are ill, dying or dead. 

I'm not making any Ls off the images I post that I can turn around, convert to US dollars and withdraw (cash out).

No one is making fun people who are ill, dying or dead here either.  "Bring out yer dead"

No one has to spend money here either, but if it is a side effect of offering the platform as an alternative communication method, then it is.  Now if someone had suggested raising prices to gouge others, then even I would have said it was a bad move.

Do you guys really think that this discussion should be censored and everyone who commented should be shamed?

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

No one is making fun people who are ill, dying or dead here either.  "Bring out yer dead"

No one has to spend money here either, but if it is a side effect of offering the platform as an alternative communication method, then it is.  Now if someone had suggested raising prices to gouge others, then even I would have said it was a bad move.

Do you guys really think that this discussion should be censored and everyone who commented should be shamed?

The bring out your dead had absolutely nothing to do with the virus. It's something I did at my old job over a year ago ffs. Long before Covid-19 hit China. 

Get over yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The bring out your dead had absolutely nothing to do with the virus. It's something I did at my old job over a year ago ffs. Long before Covid-19 hit China. 

Sure.  Okay.

If you don't have an opinion on why this post shouldn't exist, it's okay.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Censored? No.

Shamed for attempting or suggesting cockamamie schemes to make a few Linden dollars off of a global pandemic? Yes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Okay, so no discussion on providing alternatives for communicating or socializing?

Did you miss the part where that dude linked to an item on his MP store?! He was advertising his own crap. He’s slapped the word ‘virus’ on his crap trying to profit off it.

He was not discussing ways to provide alternatives for communicating or socializing. He was shilling his store. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

It is in a thread with funny Covid-19 memes.  Yes, it's related to every other post.  

Only because someone else posted something that reminded me of that day at work more than a year ago, long before Covid-19 hit China. That is the ONLY relation. You are blowing this way out of proportion. 

• Like 1

I am not fussing at anyone.  Then is this a question of miscommunication?  I thought it was for this entire thread.  A few people have come in, read it, then proceeded to say they were offended and this shouldn't be discussed.  Nothing is directed  at Selene.  I did not call a person out, but the idea that this can not be discussed.

53 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Do you guys really think that this discussion should be censored

Cinn, who has said this? No one that I've seen.

Disagreeing with something is (and frankly, I get bored of having to make this important distinction) not the same as wanting it censored, banned, or otherwise obliterated.

It just isn't. It's disagreeing. Which is something we do here all the time, and should be able to do civilly.

45 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Okay, so no discussion on providing alternatives for communicating or socializing?

You are conflating two very different things.

Imagine two threads.

• The first is about ways that LL might be able to make Second Life a really helpful refuge for people in self-isolation, or afraid and alone during this time of terrible tragedy and fear. How can LL, or the rest of us, make the experience of employing Second Life for this socially responsible and helpful thing easier and more accessible?

• The second -- which is essentially the OP of this thread -- asks how LL might be able to capitalize on this terrible tragedy in order to increase its customer base and hence profit margins. What are the things that LL can do that will bring more customers to the platform, and make SL a more financially viable platform?

Arguably, both threads might well address many of the same issues, including things we talk about here ad nauseum -- pricing, user retention, the new user experience, interface design, etc. Those are completely appropriate things to discuss, and I expect we'll still be discussing them the day that LL finally pulls the plug.

But do you really not see a difference in the focus and tone of these two superficially similar approaches to the subject?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I am not fussing at anyone.  Then is this a question of miscommunication?  I thought it was for this entire thread.  A few people have come in, read it, then proceeded to say they were offended and this shouldn't be discussed.  Nothing is directed  at Selene.  I did not call a person out, but the idea that this can not be discussed.

The thread had been dead for a month. You didn’t take exception to it when the discussion was actually happening, but when Selene responded to the shill, suddenly it was offensive to you. Or the Make Us Laugh thread was suddenly offensive to you.

Whatever. Anything else I say will truly be offensive so I’m done here.

• Like 1

I am tired of seeing people enter a thread not to add to the discussion happening, but to just say how offended they are.  What is the intent of the person entering if not to stop the discussion? 

I couldn't care less about tone in a written platform. <-- this idea is not new for me, but goes back on the forum for nearly 10 years.  Tone is subjective.

@Beth Macbain it is not sudden or new.  You can look at my posting history for proof.  It is too bad that you took this as a personal attack.  It wasn't.  No one person was singled out.  I was careful not to, in fact.  What was singled out is the idea that someone being offended is enough to stop a conversation.  This same idea has been brought up at least 3 times on different threads and each thread had disgusted and insulted people saying the idea should not be up for discussion.  I take offense at that not at the person.

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Cinn, who has said this? No one that I've seen.

Disagreeing with something is (and frankly, I get bored of having to make this important distinction) not the same as wanting it censored, banned, or otherwise obliterated.

It just isn't. It's disagreeing. Which is something we do here all the time, and should be able to do civilly.

Just to add really quickly that is takes a certain amount of arrogance to think that I just must not have  understand you the first time, so you just have to say it again and I'll agree.

Disagreeing for a discussable reason is not the same as being offended and saying it expecting others to change because someone didn't like that something was said.  That was a painful sentence to write.  I hope it makes sense.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.