could coronavirus be a good opportunity for sl

JahPorka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There is a new symptom for the virus which travels to the forehead leaving what looks like a big black smudge..

I am extremely certain now that we are all going to die from the virus now that we have Pence in charge of the response. 

I understand he's planning on building a wall between the US/Chinese border.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There are people in Sansar from China but apparently connections can be tricky.

Remember though as the virus progresses it will most likely include much of  the world. IF people are forced or asked to stay at home and IF the schools close and IF it is just YOU or YOU and your kids then ESCAPISM could play an important part for many people.  

In my mind it is good to remember than current chance of death is only 2 out of 100 --- much less than other "pandemics" (as yet corona is not designated as such). It is also good to plan ahead. Make choices early when you are more in control of your emotions and not in a panic stage.  I live close to a college town and having 35,000 college students as part of the mix makes things even more complicated. IF the college was doing its due diligence,  it would be planning for teaching over the Internet. They could easily do that in SL in many cases. A few classes are probably too large .   Realistically the TEACHERS could make avatars and teach via stream and video. Pretty easy. Then students could meet in SL for study groups and fulfill that human interaction part of the equation.

We already have internet teaching for elementary schools in the US (an opt in program akin to home schooling but not exactly the same).  Since the US is currently way behind many countries in the elementary and high school realms these days, I suspect that the "smarter" countries who are actually teaching there kids have plans in place.   That would be very good to know, but I haven't seen anything on it. 

So in my view -- prepare as you can.  If YOU have meetings that could be curtailed in the future because of distancing or quarantines, start talking to your group.  It doesn't have to be Second Life, but since SL is a fairly low bar for computers (running on low graphics) it would probably be the best choice enabling more to participate.  

Yes, I taught adult and college classes - 17 years. Hence that is where my first thoughts go. 

• Like 3

Editorial: How Second Life and Other Virtual Worlds and Social VR Platforms Can Reduce Isolation During a Potential SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic

https://ryanschultz.com/2020/02/26/editorial-how-second-life-and-other-virtual-worlds-and-social-vr-platforms-can-reduce-isolation-during-a-sars-cov-2-pandemic/

Second Life 26 Feb 2020.png

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Sources of Information on SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

In RL I am an academic librarian at a science library, and here is my updated list of good, credible, authoritative resources to learn more about the Wuhan coronoavirus (formerly called 2019-nCoV and now officially called SARS-CoV-2; the disease the virus causes is now called COVID-19):

If you want a quick, up-to-date overview of the current situation, here are three good places to check:

Stay informed, get prepared, and stay healthy!

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Worldwide, so far there have been somewhere around 2,800 deaths from the coronavirus in 2020.

In the US alone, there have been 2,300 deaths by gun in 2020 (not including the other 3,800 suicides by gun).  That's over 6,000 in the US dead from contact with guns. In two months. 

Which one are we supposed to be freaking out about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There is a new symptom for the virus which travels to the forehead leaving what looks like a big black smudge..

If you see anyone with this symptom,don't be like these guys and not tell him.. Let them know so they can get help fast and stay as far away as you can..you should see them coming a mile away..

I blame this guy...

gorvachev.jpg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you see anyone with this symptom,don't be like these guys and not tell him.. Let them know so they can get help fast and stay as far away as you can..you should see them coming a mile away..

I did a double take yesterday when I saw a few people with the black marks on their forehead........ until I realized it was Ash Wednesday and they had apparently been to mass.  Most of the folks I saw didn't wash it off during the day either.  Maybe that's part of the deal - you are supposed to leave it on all day. I'm not Catholic, so I've not clue there.

• Haha 1

"Hold your convention in SL" is worth considering. The Game Developers Conference has been more or less cancelled. (The promoters say it's still on. Facebook, Microsoft, Epic, Unity, Sony, etc. have pulled out, so  it's going to be mostly empty.) SL could host conventions. SL does events with lots of little stores all the time. There's some kind of gamer convention in SL right now, set up to look like a convention floor.

Most computers can run SL; you don't need full VR gear. So it's a real option.

SL used to market to business, but they gave up. Does LL even have a marketing organization left?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Idk lol. 🙄
I googled the top 40 pop music hits in China the other night and you know what was number 1? 🤨

♪ Mai.. Mai.. Mai..ai..ai.. ->  W0000~! \0/  
Muh muh muh..   my... Corona.... ♬

🤒😷🚑🚧

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Called ambulance!

• 1 month later...

Second Life does not promote or support future designers to come in and create for SL.
This is made obvious by the recent effort to get people to get subscriptions with predetermined land/houses.
This takes away the reason to buy from the marketplace, and I could easily assume people are subscribing to try the game, to just realize a linden home is nothing but a tp button?
I hear those Labgabs on Facebook Second Life, and I have a hard time taking the 9mm out of my mouth most the time.
They have no grasp on how to grow SL, nor are they trying. Which ends up being truly disappointing for creators willing to spend time creating here.

$299 a month and I can make Second Life money, anyone want to donate that monthly for SL?
I did not think so. SL doesn't even want to.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Boogadey Kuu said:

oh thank you so much for pointing that out.. however i thought was reponing to a question that was CAN SL HEL PTHE COVID SITUATION $%$%%$%$@%$$%

I'm one of the people who are at high risk so no I won't be helping you to profit off people's illnesses and deaths. Makes no difference to me if you cash out or not. It is still profiting from other people's misfortune. I put that in the same category as all the jerks who think they will be selling toilet paper and other necessities at a high profit to people who don't have that kind of money, which is most of us. Those who are intentionally trying to profit from Covid-19 should be hanged, drawn and quartered

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.