What to upgrade my videocard to?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, i been wondering and been slowly looking but wondering what videocard to upgrade to, the one i have now is not good enough, i have to run low most of the time, i'm not looking at cards that are 1000 dollars plus - i live on a budget, but i saw some like the 1050TI, 1060, 1070,1080 and so on.. What card do i get to make SL run better, i also edit video's and again can only edit in low preview mode.

My specs are

AMD FX-8350 4,4 GHZ processor

MSI NVidia Geforce GTX 1050 2 GB videocard

16 GB's of RAM

Can someone recommend a card?

I recommend a platform upgrade before a gpu upgrade.

Its just not worth it, especially for SL, when your cpu matters way more than your gpu and you have one of the worst options for SL, namely a Piledriver fx chip with god awful single thread performance.

I would suggest going for the current budget combo of a Ryzen 5 2600, B450 motherboard and 2x8gb of 3200/3600mhz ddr4.

And then work further upgrades from there.

Because you could slap a Nvidia 2080ti into that system and it would do next to nothing because your primary problem impacting the performance of SL is the cpu.

Video editing would also heavily benefit from a better cpu and faster memory.

tldr you don’t need a gpu upgrade, you need a cpu upgrade 

There have been plenty of threads lately with tips and tricks about settings and performance. You should definitely read around a bit, especially since too low settings might  actually strain your CPU. The FX-8350 is also known to run hot, really hot - dangerously hot for not properly compatible hardware.
So looking at the motherboard's capabilities, there might be limiting due to thermal issues.

Depending on what software you use for video editing, it might be worth to check if it can rather use your GPU to do the encoding.

I'd sell the machine as it is and put the money into a completely new and balanced build.

10 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

There have been plenty of threads lately with tips and tricks about settings and performance. You should definitely read around a bit, especially since too low settings might  actually strain your CPU. The FX-8350 is also known to run hot, really hot - dangerously hot for not properly compatible hardware.
So looking at the motherboard's capabilities, there might be limiting due to thermal issues.

Depending on what software you use for video editing, it might be worth to check if it can rather use your GPU to do the encoding.

I'd sell the machine as it is and put the money into a completely new and balanced build.

This was / Is a custom build. The motherboard is a GA-970A-UD3

I did see the other topics but it didnt help me as much as i know every system is different, and i prefer knowing what to do with my system. The CPU gets well cooled and the tempeture is fine. 

I do appriciate all the recommendations.

57 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

You’re thinking of the Fx 9590, which is known to vaporize board VRMs on anything other than higher end 990fx boards 

the 8350 isn’t anything crazy, it’s a bit toasty but so are any fx chips really

6 hours ago, Hakuna Biscuit said:

i have to run low most of the time

6 hours ago, Hakuna Biscuit said:

can only edit in low preview mode

Your computer seems like it's more capable than that. Before spending money on a video card, I'd make sure everything is working properly and your computer isn't suffering from a malware infestation. Run a SMART test (like Crystal disk info) and a surface scan on your mechanical hard drives, SMART test on any SSDs (if you don't have an SSD you need one), then do a malware scan. Open it up, make sure airflow is okay, all your fans are working and blow out any dust.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:09 PM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Your computer seems like it's more capable than that. Before spending money on a video card, I'd make sure everything is working properly and your computer isn't suffering from a malware infestation. Run a SMART test (like Crystal disk info) and a surface scan on your mechanical hard drives, SMART test on any SSDs (if you don't have an SSD you need one), then do a malware scan. Open it up, make sure airflow is okay, all your fans are working and blow out any dust.

All is good on everything you mention. No Malware. Crystal Disk has no issues either, I have an SSD, airflow should be fine, fans are working, and the thing gets vacuumed (carefully) atleast once every month. 

I tested high settings today on SL which works okay similar to low actually. 

Now i need to know which graphics card would be an upgrade for my system, as it seems 2 GB (MSI Geforce 1050.. not the TI Version) is just not enough - CPU wise i'm usually fine and so is my memory, but the GPU takes ALOT, just running firestorm it already takes up half of my GPU (20 to 48% sometimes even heading to a 100)

Edited by Hakuna Biscuit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.