Jump to content

Mesh not displaying correctly in second life


DAT4BASE
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, so i just created my first real mesh (the only thing i did before this was create a metal bar that was just set to 100% shiny, so no real texturing) and for some reason it isn't showing up in-game properly. Here's a picture of what it's SUPPOSED to look like:

1e093921514cb147d728ec751fe0a944.jpg

and here's a picture of what it looks like in second life:

3c02143b47a5469d2954c7ad550edd42.jpg

Now, i don't know how to use the vertex groups in the maitreya kit i'm using in blender, so i can't make it appear where it's supposed to on her foot. I'll have to move it around in-game later, so let's not worry about that. My issue is that none of my textures are showing up. Also, the little dark brown bit at the tip of the heel is way too big, as when i sculpted it, it was flush against the rest of the heel. Here's a close up of what's going on there in-game:

d927d9e62e126896718b25572a52b17a.png

It just seems quite bizarre to me. I'll also attach a few screenshots with my upload to second life settings here:

7d6ce791a5efd5d782baec8f15643bca.png

bf35de79973d98f4ac105e27b539947b.png

(the physics model i uploaded is just a square i created in blender that's roughly the size of the shoe itself)

bcadbd8f0ff01d1d1980cc0929d0b491.png

(and finally, as said, because i don't know how to use vertex groups, the "for avatar models only" bit is greyed out for me. Idk how to fix this and idk if it's relevant to the issue?? *cries for help in noob")

So yeah, if i missed out any important information, please let me know. And please don't scream at me, i know i'm noobish, but i'm really trying to improve and this is just an issue that i don't know how to fix on my own. Sorry guys.

But yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !! ❤️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DAT4BASE said:

Also, the little dark brown bit at the tip of the heel is way too big, as when i sculpted it, it was flush against the rest of the heel. Here's a close up of what's going on there in-game:

This happens because the minimum dimensions of an object in SL is 0.01 meters per side. If you make mesh smaller than that, it will be sized up. The easiest fix is to Ctrl-J (join) the small mesh with the bigger one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To add to the JOIN advice (you want your shoe to be ONE piece) textures don't upload well  WITH the model even though it looks like they should from the slots in the uploader. I have seen a few notes on the forums of people getting it to work but very easy work around is to put the textures on the model AFTER you upload. So save the textures that you hopefully baked to a texture plane and then add them inworld.

You ALSO need to rig the show to the foot (each shoe gets rigged to its own foot). This is NOT easy.  That is why the shoe doesn't fit. 

I say this kindly :D but you seem to be missing a lot of mesh basics to have received a Maitreya dev kit.     So maybe backing up a bit and working on something simpler than rigged shoes would be a good plan.      

 

Good luck.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

To add to the JOIN advice (you want your shoe to be ONE piece) textures don't upload well  WITH the model even though it looks like they should from the slots in the uploader. I have seen a few notes on the forums of people getting it to work but very easy work around is to put the textures on the model AFTER you upload. So save the textures that you hopefully baked to a texture plane and then add them inworld.

You ALSO need to rig the show to the foot (each shoe gets rigged to its own foot). This is NOT easy.  That is why the shoe doesn't fit. 

I say this kindly :D but you seem to be missing a lot of mesh basics to have received a Maitreya dev kit.     So maybe backing up a bit and working on something simpler than rigged shoes would be a good plan.      

 

Good luck.  

Hi, i didn't receive the official kit. I applied two weeks ago but a friend told me it can take years because the team is supposedly stingy when it comes to handing out the meshes. I started using blender for anything more than square objects a week ago, so i'm really new to the whole meshing thing in general.

Also, i've heard about baking but unfortunately don't really know how it works. Does it just apply the in-view shadows to the texture i've applied to the model? If so, i guess i could try it, though i'm really kind of new to texturing so it might take me a while 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This happens because the minimum dimensions of an object in SL is 0.01 meters per side. If you make mesh smaller than that, it will be sized up. The easiest fix is to Ctrl-J (join) the small mesh with the bigger one. 

Thanks so much, i'll do that! ❤️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DAT4BASE said:

Hi, i didn't receive the official kit. I applied two weeks ago but a friend told me it can take years because the team is supposedly stingy when it comes to handing out the meshes. I started using blender for anything more than square objects a week ago, so i'm really new to the whole meshing thing in general.

Also, i've heard about baking but unfortunately don't really know how it works. Does it just apply the in-view shadows to the texture i've applied to the model? If so, i guess i could try it, though i'm really kind of new to texturing so it might take me a while 😅

I have tutorials that explain but they are for Blender 2.79 so won't help too much if you are using 2.8.    You EITHER need to bake an ambient occlusion texture (just shadows) and then add your texture to the that (layered in your graphics software) and then put that on the model inworld OR bake all the textures and layers together.   Blender is a steep learning curve with many many parts that are necessary.  If you are just starting I strongly recommend something EASY like a picture frame or a simple bangle so that you can start figuring out all the steps you need to do.   

 

Tutorials playlist is here:  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CGboost  <---a really good tutorial series, it is made for Blender 2.8+, videos are not too long, very straight to the point and easy to understand, and last but not least, they show how to do things the right way...

There is sea of tutorials on youtube and which one you pick matters...sure many offer valid info and good workflows, but there are just as many (if not more) outrageously misguided ones.. Anyways, I agree with Chic, you should take some time to learn the basics before jumping into clothes/shoes (organic shapes in general) and rigging...I don`t mean to discourage you, I`m just saying, if you are willing to learn, why not do it properly? 

Edited by MaxMare
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also keep in mind that many Blender tutorials are NOT for making game assets (what we need in SL) so some tutorials and parts of tutorial lessons will only HURT your learning for SL.  It is important to be able to recognize WHICH skills will work for you on our platform. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...