(Rant?) I just want a dance.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

I thought everyone knew Hugh Laurie was on Blackadder before he was House.

I didn't know how well known it is outside the UK, or what sort of reception it would have. Some British sitcoms translate and some don't. Keeping Up Appearances is a classic but doesn't seem to cross cultures very easily. 

How about Only Fools and Horses?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I didn't know how well known it is outside the UK, or what sort of reception it would have. Some British sitcoms translate and some don't. Keeping Up Appearances is a classic but doesn't seem to cross cultures very easily. 

How about Only Fools and Horses?

If it hasn't been on BBC America or PBS (Public Broadcasting System) I won't have seen it or even heard of it. I only knew about Laurie because someone on the old SLU forum used an image, similar to the one I posted, as an avatar.  It was captioned "wibble" and I asked about it because I recognized Laurie as Dr. House.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

all 'attraction' has it's roots in whether or not we'd like to sleep with that person after everything else is out of the way. We may never do it, we may just have a dance, a few drinks and get a taxi home, but unless our brains decide "yeah...I'd jump that!", consciously or subconsciously....we don't make the move/respond well!

I refer you to one of the two As in LGBTQIAAP+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality

'Aces' can be romantically or visually attracted to someone without any desire to sleep with the person they're attracted to. And - before anyone says that aces don't exist, or that they "just haven't met the right person yet" (which is about as insulting as telling a lesbian that she hasn't met the right man yet) - I know a couple of them very well. They very much do exist, in numbers that may surprise you, and you probably - unknowingly - have at least one within your circle of acquaintance.

Anyone curious and/or wanting to understand more about asexuality can take a look at the AVEN website.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

Aces' can be romantically or visually attracted to someone without any desire to sleep with the person they're attracted to. And - before anyone says that aces don't exist

I didn't know about them being called Aces, but one of my daughter's friends is one.

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I thought everyone knew Hugh Laurie was on Blackadder before he was House.

Most of the Americans I've had the subject come up with are shocked to discover he's actually English! I usually use a 'Prince George' clip to enforce the point, lol.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Most of the Americans I've had the subject come up with are shocked to discover he's actually English! I usually use a 'Prince George' clip to enforce the point, lol.

I was a bit surprised to find he is English but only because I had never heard him speak in his own "voice". I've only gotten to see a handful of Blackadder eps but that was only after I found out he had worked in the UK before coming to the US.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

The rant continues ....

So ... I went out with Maybie.  Met a girl and danced.  Nice time. So far so good.

This weekend I saw the girl again and we got together for another dance.  At this point I want to make sure she knows I'm not leading her on so I want her to know about Rhonda.    Well that was a  train wreak.  She was intimidated by Rhonda because "she looks too much like a man" and basically didn;'t want anything to do with me

/me mutters something about lipstick lezbians, flippin' femmes and blah blah blah.

So maybe it's not the profile.  Maybe I'm too butch.  I have Maybie for dressing cute and girlie but most of the time I am Rhonda.  So Rhonda I will stay.

20200223_002.thumb.jpg.35116a3d9310f1bf157ae500ad44b6f7.jpg

Yeah ... this is too butch?  I can do butch, bitc, and this is just a tip of the iceberg.

/rant

/wrists

/ing prices!

Anyway, I think she's beautiful and she makes ME happy.  That's what matters

I don't see how this is too butch?? Seems more Blue jean Lesbian to me, pretty mild on the butch scale. And really, can one be too butch???

And you in that black gown a few posts back?? sigh...

ETA: Don't be dissin' femmes, now! (just saw that part..) 'Specially lipsticks. ;)

Joke though: How many lipstick lesbians does it take to change a flat tire?

Two. One to phone AAA and another to complain she got her shoes dusty. ;)

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

What do you think?  Which avatar would you approach if you saw them both at a club? Or am I just paranoid?

Neither one is "my type" but I don't approach women based on visuals anyway.  I'd have to be able see both profiles to see if either would get a "Hello" out of me.  I do go cruising for dance partners pretty regularly.... or I used to anyway but my current dance partner and I seem to be going steady.  When I'm looking I ask a fair number of women wherever I happen to find one who's profile intrigues me.  For me, it's all about the profile and I have an awful lot of "red flags" that make a profile a no-fly zone for me.  I like to think that's why my contacts with women are so routinely positive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's hilarious that he managed American so well, given that he played the ultimate English upper class twit, as Bertie Wooster. I think that's where I first knew him (and Stephen Fry).

Also, A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie.

Yes.  I knew him in the Bertie Wooster role well before he became House (which I only saw a little of).  I enjoyed A Little Bit Of Fry and Laurie too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes.  I knew him in the Bertie Wooster role well before he became House (which I only saw a little of).  I enjoyed A Little Bit Of Fry and Laurie too.

I've never seen House -- just bits and pieces on YouTube I think.

I love Fry and Laurie in the Jeeves series to the degree that I bought many of the episodes on DVD years ago, but I'll admit that they don't quite satisfy. Laurie is a very good Wooster, but maybe a bit too broadly comic and googly-eyed. More importantly, though, Fry constructs a really good version of Jeeves, but he's not quite the Jeeves I recognize from the books. Wodehouse's Jeeves should be simultaneously both less and more of a presence, if that makes any sense. And a lot older.

I've seen a fair bit of Blackadder, but never really got into it (although I could watch Fry as the Duke of Wellington over and over again). I find Rowan Atkinson mildly disturbing.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I love Fry and Laurie in the Jeeves series to the degree that I bought many of the episodes on DVD years ago, but I'll admit that they don't quite satisfy. Laurie is a very good Wooster, but maybe a bit too broadly comic and googly-eyed. More importantly, though, Fry constructs a really good version of Jeeves, but he's not quite the Jeeves I recognize from the books. Wodehouse's Jeeves should be simultaneously both less and more of a presence, if that makes any sense. And a lot older.

I agree, except possibly for the "a lot older" part.  I remember  sitting in my grandfather's house one summer when I was about 16, reading Wodehouse's Jeeves stories and many of the Psmith and Ukridge stories that are not as well known now. They were wonderfully silly stories with ridiculous characters.  Fry and Laurie's portrayals were delightful but not quite what I had seen in my own mind.  Just a bit too over the top, as if they knew that they were silly. I think Wodehouse would have felt that the film versions missed his point -- that upper class twits only look like twits to us from the outside. Within their own circle, they are quite "normal."  Irrelevant, and in a perpetual fog, but bouncing along in their own self-consistent little world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

And you in that black gown a few posts back?? sigh...

That one is my favorite.  I even wore it for Halloween with a sugar skull makeup.

20200225_001.thumb.jpg.42a9f9ac487aca53664a91ed9635ebf4.jpg

And this is about as butch as I really get.

20200224_009.thumb.jpg.4cb42b8d31614035cc8c0689561e3d24.jpg

Sorry about the femme comments.  I was mostly just teasing.  I would honestly be mortified if it seriously offended anyone.

• Like 4

I first saw Fry and Laurie on 'Saturday Live', a topical comedy sketch show from the 1980s I believe, and Rowan Atkinson, of course , sprang up in the comedy show 'Not the nine o'clock news' which was also really influential. Rowan Atkinson was extremely memorable playing a captured mountain gorilla being interviewed for a chat show. Did nobody else see these? 

I love Wodehouse his use of language is esquisite.

Also, with more relevance to the original topic. I actually wonder if i designed my avatar to be a combination of approachable and yet unlikely to be 'hit on'. The latter being something of an inconvenience. As soon as I abandoned a generic 'out of the box' look this was easier to do.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And I never send an IM -- at least, not to men I don't know, because my experience has suggested that it is too often read as sign of aggressive sexuality (i.e., I'm actively looking for a romantic or sexual partner), and frankly I just don't want to deal with that.

I almost never do either, but I was at a club on Saturday night and there was a guy I didn't know whose profile piqued my interest, both in politics and music taste. So I sent him an IM. We ended up having an interesting chat about politics (and Star Wars), and there was no hint at all that he regarded my interest as sexual.

I didn't offer to friend him (his profile said he doesn't accept on first meeting) so I am really hoping to meet him again.

3 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I love Wodehouse his use of language is esquisite.

exquisite ....aargh to no late edits for early morning typos!!

12 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

BBC America ? I trust they pay the same licence fee we are obliged to pay here to keep it funded ?

You'd think BBC America would pay BBC UK for the use of their programs?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

That one is my favorite.  I even wore it for Halloween with a sugar skull makeup.

20200225_001.thumb.jpg.42a9f9ac487aca53664a91ed9635ebf4.jpg

And this is about as butch as I really get.

20200224_009.thumb.jpg.4cb42b8d31614035cc8c0689561e3d24.jpg

Sorry about the femme comments.  I was mostly just teasing.  I would honestly be mortified if it seriously offended anyone.

I like both looks!!!

And *I* was just joking about the femmes, too, sorry! You certainly didn't offend me, can't speak for others. I took it as a joke, was just joking back. Sorry if I made you feel bad. :(

And hey, I have black nails IRL right now (powder job, yays! fun and pretty, if expensive), which I see as edgy, but perhaps could be considered butchty, I guess (though manicures is not a butch's thing, in my experience, lol ;) ).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's hilarious that he managed American so well, given that he played the ultimate English upper class twit

Even more hilarious when you find out that after his casting session, the director hired him on the spot for 'House'....then was shocked to discover he'd actually hired an Englishman!  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.