Is there a such thing as SL families anymore?

Lia Sharpshire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been in SL for 10yrs now so i know i've been into at least 2 or 3 families is that even a thing anymore in present days? Can you be a grown avatar and find an established family where you have a Mom and Dad and some siblings? Ive always heard of adoption but never found any agencies im just curious cause i have a hard time finding a good family these days especially for an adult.

If you want to find "sisters" as nauseum, try babygirl places.

Families are still a thing, but keep your expectations low.  Relationships are very ephemeral in SL.  I've always taken a very jaundiced view of SL families (and even more so SL marriages) - in my eyes, they cheapen those institutions, and those who seek them out generally (not you specifically, but most who I have witnessed) are treating them as RP or virtual amusements, not serious relationships.

(truth in broadcasting, I "married" my RL fiance twice in SL)

• Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

If you want to find "sisters" as nauseum, try babygirl places.

Families are still a thing, but keep your expectations low.  Relationships are very ephemeral in SL.  I've always taken a very jaundiced view of SL families (and even more so SL marriages) - in my eyes, they cheapen those institutions, and those who seek them out generally (not you specifically, but most who I have witnessed) are treating them as RP or virtual amusements, not serious relationships.

(truth in broadcasting, I "married" my RL fiance twice in SL)

Well with me i love having a family i take it seriously i have been in families before but it would end with people wanting to date each other or whatever drama would end it all.

(Thats good to hear congrats)

My family was built somewhat organically from very deep relationships over the years.  My sisters are like sisters, and some have asked if my SL mom is also my RL mom, we have such chemistry (I am an adult child with my own family to my parents).  I have great kids, but all these relationships and more took time to build.

Usually if you try to enter a family quickly you're likely going to leave it even faster.

Once I started seeing deep friendships forming about 7-8 years ago, I asked about becoming sisters.  Then my sisters met.  I met my mom, she married and had a dad.  My children came along as close friends, my brother, his kids, it just kept going on.

Another option is if you are looking for a family, marry into one.  Chances are your future partner's family will click with you if you reach out to them and be a good partner and outgoing with them.

• Thanks 1

My family was built somewhat organically from very deep relationships over the years.  My sisters are like sisters, and some have asked if my SL mom is also my RL mom, we have such chemistry (I am an adult child with my own family to my parents).  I have great kids, but all these relationships and more took time to build.

Usually if you try to enter a family quickly you're likely going to leave it even faster.

Once I started seeing deep friendships forming about 7-8 years ago, I asked about becoming sisters.  Then my sisters met.  I met my mom, she married and had a dad.  My children came along as close friends, my brother, his kids, it just kept going on.

Another option is if you are looking for a family, marry into one.  Chances are your future partner's family will click with you if you reach out to them and be a good partner and outgoing with them.

Even another idea is look for roleplay communities, likely families exist in them.

3 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

My last marriage i did have a great family but it ended of course cause we divorced and right now i dont have many friends since i just came back its been a month maybe so im really starting over.

Sadly sweetie, nothing in SecondLife is forever, and sometimes things can end suddenly.  The hardest thing to do in a marriage is keep healthy relationships and friendships outside your marriage.  It's hard because you want to be with your partner most of the time.  I know after my marriage ended after 2 years, a lot of friends felt like strangers.  It was a lot of work rebuilding that life again.

5 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

Sadly sweetie, nothing in SecondLife is forever, and sometimes things can end suddenly.  The hardest thing to do in a marriage is keep healthy relationships and friendships outside your marriage.  It's hard because you want to be with your partner most of the time.  I know after my marriage ended after 2 years, a lot of friends felt like strangers.  It was a lot of work rebuilding that life again.

Yes it can be very hard to start over it has been hard this time around so many have quit and new faces are around.

7 hours ago, Lia Sharpshire said:

Yes it can be very hard to start over it has been hard this time around so many have quit and new faces are around.

I have a very loose family group Lia. Ok there are my alt sisters, but other real people belong. 😊

We don't hang out much, but our informal arrangements work just fine. We use my house as a base, and chat a lot in world and using forum mail.

Hit me up in world sometime. I'm UK which doesn't always work well, but a couple of the girls are USA.

• Thanks 1

I have never been involved in a family group (they seem to be magnets for more drama than I care for) but I still see a lot of it around in peoples' profiles, and also several clubs which I won't name seem to be staffed entirely by family members. Whether the family or the club came first, I couldn't say.

If I did join a family, I would probably be that weird distant cousin that everyone whispers about behind their back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I have a very loose family group Lia. Ok there are my alt sisters, but other real people belong. 😊

We don't hang out much, but our informal arrangements work just fine. We use my house as a base, and chat a lot in world and using forum mail.

Hit me up in world sometime. I'm UK which doesn't always work well, but a couple of the girls are USA.

Thank you i will look you up when i get online.

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

I have never been involved in a family group (they seem to be magnets for more drama than I care for) but I still see a lot of it around in peoples' profiles, and also several clubs which I won't name seem to be staffed entirely by family members. Whether the family or the club came first, I couldn't say.

If I did join a family, I would probably be that weird distant cousin that everyone whispers about behind their back.

Awww well i dont think that would be any fun i hate people that talk behind people's back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.