If you could redesign the viewer...

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So many feature requests ... We got you boo.

12 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'd make it possible to change the position where all the junk appears in the upper right corner to some other location.

Catznip -> Prefs->Chat->IM & Group

hmMYcFa.png

12 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:
  • add a 'close all folders' button to the inventory, because it drives me crazy if - after an inventory deep-dive - I have to scroll back up/down and click to close each folder manually

Catznip has

djEMuNE.png

• add a few more Windlights, at least one of which is good for skin-matching on mesh heads and bodies

When EEP finally makes the light of day ... making the perfect lighting setup and then sharing it should be trivial. Don't expect any updates to supplement the existing windlight in the interim. (non of the TPV teams have spare dev time to add something that LL are going to stomp all over in the near future ... anytime now ... soon ... really soon ... please be soon ... epp??)

11 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Get rid of Chui and I go back to the SL viewer.  

Catznip never added CHUI .. because it sucks, we added out own chat interface .. (no screenshot as I don't want to break forums rules regarding copying in world chat)

\  (oo)\_______
             (__)\       )\/\
                 ||----w |
                 ||     ||

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If you click on an avatar name in dialog, their profile pops up instead of some weird and superfluous menu that disappears after 1.5 seconds.

There are many possible interactions you can have with an avatar via their name (open profile, start IM session, offer teleport, pay etc etc). Opening a profile on click and then forcing the user to find a button to do the other things would probably get us shot.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I would very much like to right click a specific folder and then select an Expand All option 

Added a feature request to Catznip for this .... I'd use it if we had it.

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I suggested this before but it hasn't been implemented by LL; Add a right click option to detach all and delete folder.

Catznip has folder content menus to detail everything in the folder from your outfit, right clicking an object (like a hud) has a detach folder option, and similar options scattered about. 

One step Detach AND Delete is kinda asking for an oops.

TYMdolb.pngr5FIwcx.png

Edit : PS ... Ignore non standard font in screenshots .. I just happen to like Open Dyslexic as mine

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Like 1

Lockable menus and UI pieces that “crop” down the actual game area.

So you could have your chat and minimap locked to the left side or something, your view would be cut to whatever’s left to see, and then your actual view wouldn’t be behind it. That way nothing is hiding under anything else.

Content tabs would be nice, tab for you view, tab for your appearance/inventory, tab for search and landmarks, tab for a browser and user profiles, etc. A mini view of just your avatar with its own 3D controls when using your appearance editor would be nice.

What SL needs is to either give up and go straight back to 2003, simplify everything, or it needs to cut everything and start from scratch in 2020, because right now it’s like someone has been trying to sew up the same pair of ripped jeans for the past 17 years and there’s no longer any actual denim left.

Some things for folks who think of interesting things to do with weapon/vehicle/whatever scripts....  (although these would also require corresponding server-side stuff)

A set of "arbitrary controls" mappable to keystrokes in the viewer (by default unbound) and corresponding expansion of the control functionality in LSL to include CONTROL_CUSTOM00 .. CONTROL_CUSTOMnn

Direct access to joystick devices - maybe something like list llReadJoysticks() that returns a list of vectors giving the <x,y,z> position of each axis of the analog devices available to the users viewer or possibly a llPollSticks(float interval) that functions a bit like the timer and raises a joystick(list positions) event at the interval specified, either one with control events for CONTROL_BUTTONnn responding to all the stick buttons.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:14 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

After we crucified LL over the side bar, staff even suggesting docking or lockable UI would get you moved to a none SL project .. and we all know how that panned out.

Yeah.  I think a grand total of two people in the closed beta for Viewer 2 did not scream about the world view shrinking when the sidebar opened.  One actually had a seizure and another vomited on the floor during testing that "feature".

I don’t need any changes. We got a bigger 2nd monitor, then for the SL UI, I moved a lot of things to sit on the left and to open or pop up on the upper left. I turned off all toasts and sent most group notice pop-ups to the chat window, which I usually close unless I’m actively chatting or need to see local chat at an event. Most of my AO’s are built into firestorm. All of which leaves a nice big clear rectangle free of UI stuff on the right for framing my photos. 

I still need a simple singles dance HUD with invites and easy ability to switch dances, that’s pretty much it. 

if I could have anything I want then what I would like is a way from LSL to script changes to the UI like when in a "Super' Experience

when in a arena type game then simple one's are:

- a Experience tag which shows in place off Group tag. The tags list in the UI picker is loaded from a LSL script

- able/disable Mini Map and World Map from with LSL

- able to set the boundaries of the arena with LSL, and the viewer prevents the agent from moving beyond this. They can teleport out tho, or go out thru  the exit portal/gate

when working in a club then the most wanted:

- like right-click a person from the Nearby list.  Pick Welcome from the drop menu. Type the Welcome greeting in open chat. Their name in the Nearby list changes to another color.  Can sort the Nearby list so they are at the bottom

there are lots of other things that could be done like this from within a Super Experience.  I would pay extra for this kind of Experience capability

On 2/17/2020 at 3:41 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Also I have 3 screens,  I want to be able to drag those to the other monitors,  firestorm once show cased a viewer that worked like that but no one ever picked it up. 

On 2/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, Jackson Redstar said:

this is easy. #1 the ability to move open windows off onto another monitor

Other software has had this for years. SL needs it so very badly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

if I could have anything I want then what I would like is a way from LSL to script changes to the UI like when in a "Super' Experience

when in a arena type game then simple one's are:

- a Experience tag which shows in place off Group tag. The tags list in the UI picker is loaded from a LSL script

- able/disable Mini Map and World Map from with LSL

- able to set the boundaries of the arena with LSL, and the viewer prevents the agent from moving beyond this. They can teleport out tho, or go out thru  the exit portal/gate

when working in a club then the most wanted:

- like right-click a person from the Nearby list.  Pick Welcome from the drop menu. Type the Welcome greeting in open chat. Their name in the Nearby list changes to another color.  Can sort the Nearby list so they are at the bottom

there are lots of other things that could be done like this from within a Super Experience.  I would pay extra for this kind of Experience capability

A feature I want and have wanted for the longest time is custom libraries. Aka you can highlight some code, right click, add to library, name it and then select it from a separate drop down at the bottom of the script window to be added wherever the cursor currently is

• Like 1

I mentioned the idea of having the in-world view in a panel in the middle of the screen with all the pop-ups displayed on grey areas to the side.  It is possible to do that as a workaround by making an HUD that's textured, say, dark grey, with a square 'alpha' window in the middle. You wear this HUD and stretch to fit the screen. To make this permanent it needs to be added to every outfit.  One disadvantage is that you can't click on objects to make them work - like opening doors for example.  If you try to do that, you're simply clicking on the HUD, so it's not really a case of "fit and forget".

screenshot 1.jpg

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Haha 2

After realising that the HUD window above prevents you clicking on things in-world, I've just made another version out of 4 prims instead of a textured single prim. This one you can click through to work things in-world. If you enlarge this picture you'll see there's a thin strip of in-world view on the right-hand edge. That was just because I was in a hurry - that's now been rectified. And if you really feel the need to colour match your border . . . 

screenshot 2.jpg

screenshot 4.jpg

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It looks clean, for sure...until you realize that the border itself is removing over twice the screen real estate of the windows.

Ah, but that's so you can have more windows open if need be! ☺️  A busy SLer could run out of screen real-estate without any difficulty!

I'm not claiming its anything more than a workaround and I can't see myself using it very much but it gives an idea of what could be done if the in-world view could be 'windowed' within a full-screen client. 

screenshot 5.jpg

Edited by Conifer Dada

13 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The proof of concept was done and put out there, it was open source .. and here we are. Everyone who wanted it sat around waiting for someone else to make it happen.

yes.  Stuff like this goes on the long wish list for other people to make for us.  Is a wish list as if it never happens then it doesn't matter all that much

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.