any ideas why I get repeated requests to download updates?

AmandaHoliday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Every time I try to log in, I am instructed to down load and install 

6.3.5.533275 and 6.3.6.535003.

Any ideas why ?

Additionally, There appears to be confusion since you say my email address is in use by another member. That's likely me from the period after the old computer retired itself and I changed to the mew computer. That computer had a problem that I finally got fixed to get past the message that the video driver wasn't able to match the S L program.

9 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, AmandaHoliday said:

Every time I try to log in, I am instructed to down load and install 

6.3.5.533275 and 6.3.6.535003.

Any ideas why ?

Yup. Chances are pretty good that you have been using the 32-bit version of the viewer and the update is 64-bit, therefore loaded in a different directory in your computer.  You are still using the same old desktop icon to log in to SL, though, and it points to the old 32-bit version.  So, when you log in, you are not in the update, and it immediately asks you to download it again.

If that's not the exact set of details, it's close. So, delete the desktop icon you have been using, find the new downloaded viewer, and create a new desktop icon that points to it..

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 1:36 AM, Rolig Loon said:

Yup. Chances are pretty good that you have been using the 32-bit version of the viewer and the update is 64-bit, therefore loaded in a different directory in your computer.

That's not the whole answer. I'm forced to 2update" the viewer almost every day - twice today even - and I sure don't have more than one version installed.

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's not the whole answer. I'm forced to 2update" the viewer almost every day - twice today even - and I sure don't have more than one version installed.

Yeah, it's not likely to happen if you are always getting the automatic "forced" upgrades. However, I've had it happen to me twice, exactly as I described to the OP.  I am in the habit of updating Firestorm manually when I see that there's a new version.  Twice I failed to pay attention to which version I was uploading and absent-mindedly clicked the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit one.  The next time I logged in, I got a message that I should download and install the new version,which I thought I had already done,and then I said, "Oh crap!" 

The point is that if you ever manually installed the wrong version, then the old copy is still there and your system thinks it still needs an upgrade.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

The point is that if you ever manually installed the wrong version, then the old copy is still there and your system thinks it still needs an upgrade.

No, it isn't there. I checked and I have one single copy of the Second Life viewer installed and I still get those constant "updates". I don't know, it may be that Firestorm interferes - I'm forced to have to version of it installed now of course.

Anyway, I've switched off autoupdate now - maybe that helps.

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

No, it isn't there. I checked and I have one single copy of the Second Life viewer installed and I still get those constant "updates". I don't know, it may be that Firestorm interferes - I'm forced to have to version of it installed now of course.

Anyway, I've switched off autoupdate now - maybe that helps.

Hmmm...Could be.  My explanation certainly worked for me and for the OP, as you see from his final note above.  There may be another situation that causes the same problem, but I know the one I described does it, and I wouldn't be surprised to find  that something of the sort is plaguing you too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.