Dae parsing issue - i don't understand the error

DAT4BASE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, DAT4BASE said:

here are the other settings i've made. i'm not sure if they're optimal for the object, so i just figured i'd put them here so someone could maybe explain to me in layman's terms what i'm *supposed* to be doing, but am not:

For physics, make a mesh that consists of just a single vertical triangle and stay away from the Analyze button. That'll give you a physics weight or 0.200, as low as it's possible to get a mesh in SL. This is the reccomended solution for all meshes that don't actually need a physics shape at all.

• Like 1

The more I see of this thread the more I want to beg you not to upload that model like this. Your model is 4.6K tris. For an ear-ring!

This one (losing the clip and post because they will never be seen, also losing the hole in the button because it isn't needed but keeping the one in the drop) is 364

49552446256_34c40c56af_o.png

....and if you're zoomed in close enough to anyone in SL to see their ear-rings this big, I suspect that their jewelry is not what you're concentrating on!

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

The more I see of this thread the more I want to beg you not to upload that model like this. Your model is 4.6K tris. For an ear-ring!

Da5id is technically right of course. But I assume this is the OP's first ever mesh and something the she is making for her own use and not to distribute. She still has a lot to learn before she can make good SL mesh and simply can't lay it all on her in one go, that would be way too much for anybody to handle. Besides, you have to admire people who try to run long before they've learned to crawl. ^_^

Edited by ChinRey

On 2/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It doesn't seem like you exported the bounding box correctly. It's not showing up in the importer preview and your physics weight is still over 19.

In Blender, while you're exporting the .dae, there's a little gear icon on the top-right corner. Click on that and pick the "SL static" preset. That will change a couple things, mainly the global orientation, apply modifiers, and enables "selection only" for exporting. I have a feeling you've exported multiple meshes at the same time and using them for physics.

f3c8e0df4d.png

Is the earring a single mesh? If it's multiple parts, you won't get under 30 L$ for the upload cost and including proper physics gets slightly more complicated.

I don't have any clue why the texture looks like that in the importer. Have you tried uploading the mesh on the preview grid, Aditi? You start with about 50'000 L$ there and a Linden will give you more if you run out. Your inventory will mirror the one you have on the main grid.

Hey, thanks so much for the reply and sorry for my delayed response. Got my wisdom teeth taken out so i've been slightly under the weather.

after doing what you said with the export presets in blender, the bounding box is still not showing up correctly in the second life previewer. Here's the square in blender:

image.thumb.png.d7645764f270e9a07a0e228d9438d2f1.png

(set to wireframe for easier viewing purposes)

and here it is in second life:

image.thumb.png.1f62cd3fa2a433a429ee624cbd0edef1.png

also on the topic of your suggestion for the texture: i didn't really understand, sorry for the noob mode ToT, but maybe the texture issue has something to do with normals? also i scaled it in the node editor and not ONLY in uv editor, maybe i should remove the node scaling/mapping and just do it in the uv editor? what are your thoughts?

and again, thanks so much !

On 2/18/2020 at 12:58 PM, ChinRey said:

For physics, make a mesh that consists of just a single vertical triangle and stay away from the Analyze button. That'll give you a physics weight or 0.200, as low as it's possible to get a mesh in SL. This is the reccomended solution for all meshes that don't actually need a physics shape at all.

ah thanks so much, i've kept that in mind with my most recent upload attempt. see my reply before this, that's the issues i've been left over with. thanks so much again ❤️

On 2/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, Da5id Weatherwax said:

@ChinRey is, as usual, correct - and so, @DAT4BASE, If I came across as "heavy" or overbearing, I do apologize.

thanks for the apology, don't worry, i've received worse on these forums (and i've only posted like twice! ahaha 😭). and @ChinRey, yes i'm more of a runner than a crawler 😅. But i do want the back post bit of the earring to stay, for the simple fact that i enjoy second life photography (can't afford fancy cameras and whatnot in real life) and i just like the realism aspect that it adds. I was planning on taking some closeup profile shots of my character, and with the shape of her ears, you'd see the back of them, so i can't really remove the post because it's of "aesthetic value" i suppose. but thanks either way both of you.

2 hours ago, DAT4BASE said:

thanks for the apology, don't worry, i've received worse on these forums (and i've only posted like twice! ahaha 😭). and @ChinRey, yes i'm more of a runner than a crawler 😅. But i do want the back post bit of the earring to stay, for the simple fact that i enjoy second life photography (can't afford fancy cameras and whatnot in real life) and i just like the realism aspect that it adds. I was planning on taking some closeup profile shots of my character, and with the shape of her ears, you'd see the back of them, so i can't really remove the post because it's of "aesthetic value" i suppose. but thanks either way both of you.

ok. That makes sense..  Starting from the optimized model I showed you, for the post, you could get away with adding less than 32 tris - one extra edge loop on the back of the button, extrude it to make the post, then reduce it down to 8 sides from the 16 used for the button (edge slide the extras over to meet their neighbors then remove duplicate vertices) - smooth shading at that scale will make it impossible to tell it isn't a perfect cylinder. The clip, the dual curve makes it less easy to do cheaply but again, with the right faces shaded smooth or flat (an option that the uploader does respect) I'd be very surprised if you couldnt manage it at about the same magnitude ... Feel free to msg me if you want :)

7 hours ago, DAT4BASE said:

But i do want the back post bit of the earring to stay,

LoD is your friend there. Assuming it isn't fitted mesh that is and I can't see any reason why it should be.

That brings us to another lesson for beginners. If any of these three menus are set to "Generate" ...

image.png.3399b1929e08e1e75567f165bde3fe16.png

... you're doing it wrong.

I don't know how big your mesh is but if I assume 1x2x3 cm - a rather substantial ear pendant - the Lod swap distances with LoD factor 1 are 0.1, 0.4 and 0.8 m respectively. Even with a ridiculously bloated LoD factor 4, the swap distances are as low as 0.4, 1.6 and 3.3 m. That means it doesn't really matter how many triangles you load onto your high model since it will hardly ever be downlaoded and displayed. Even the mid model doesn't matter much, only the lowest and to some degree low do.

WIth well made LoD models - keep the big triangle (without the hole of course) and simplify everything else down to what is really visible at those distances, you can easily get the mid model down to less than 100 tris, the low to less than 50 and the lowest to a dozen or less.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

For the post, i would even go as far as a smooth shaded box with a point on one end.

I agree - but there is this "SL-ism" - reducing the highest LOD too much makes it hard to get acceptable lower LODs. - I'd prefer that the SL weight calcs recognized that the high LODs are "pretty low" and didn't penalize you for the lower ones being too close to their tri-count, but unfortunately it does. Sometimes an optimization pass omitted from the highest LOD and reserved for the lower ones makes sense just for SL.

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

WIth well made LoD models - keep the big triangle (without the hole of course) and simplify everything else down to what is really visible at those distances, you can easily get the mid model down to less than 100 tris, the low to less than 50 and the lowest to a dozen or less.

Starting from the model I created as an example (so admittedly without the post and clip the OP wants to keep) highest LOD ended up as 369 tris. Reducing that by just merging or dissolving adjacent edge loops I was able to set medium as "use LOD above" and low at 111 tris. The lowest was a 3-tri impostor. In the default viewer set to medium graphics, zooming out from it I couldn't see the LOD switches unless I had the edit highlight enabled and was watching closely. That had minimal server, download and phys weights and was as cheap an upload as a model can get. If I was truly trying to optimize the heck out of it I'd have set the 111-tri model as medium and created an even smaller one for low....

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.