Sylvia Wasp

Ok, possibly stupid, but also possibly quick to answer, question about "micro-mesh"

I'm considering getting into making jewellery and I need to buy some FP micro mesh for that purpose.  The seller in question has a (rude IMO) 'no questions, no support, no refunds, no returns' kind of policy so I can't ask him the question before the purchase. 

The (stupid) question is ... I know "micro-mesh" is designed to be small, but how big can it actually get?  

Like, can I buy a "micro-mesh" item and then just drag the handles out until it's as big as a house?  What would happen?  What's the essential difference between "micro-mesh" and regular  mesh anyway? 

Okay so I guess that's two questions lol. 

Sylvia 🙂

33 minutes ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

I'm considering getting into making jewellery and I need to buy some FP micro mesh for that purpose.  The seller in question has a (rude IMO) 'no questions, no support, no refunds, no returns' kind of policy so I can't ask him the question before the purchase. 

The (stupid) question is ... I know "micro-mesh" is designed to be small, but how big can it actually get?  

Like, can I buy a "micro-mesh" item and then just drag the handles out until it's as big as a house?  What would happen?  What's the essential difference between "micro-mesh" and regular  mesh anyway? 

Okay so I guess that's two questions lol. 

Sylvia 🙂

Keep in mind that if you buy "micromesh" parts EACH PART will count as half a land impact, making your items VERY "primmy". Most jewelry is made as a single mesh item WITHIN 3D software.  So your base plan may be faulty :D. Just a warning.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from a seller with such a nasty message. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Keep in mind that if you buy "micromesh" parts EACH PART will count as half a land impact, making your items VERY "primmy". Most jewelry is made as a single mesh item WITHIN 3D software.  So your base plan may be faulty :D. Just a warning.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from a seller with such a nasty message. 

Thanks for the heads up, but I thought that worn items don't count as much as rezzed prims, no?

I mean back in the day, everyone was walking around with jewellery made out of hundreds and hundreds of individual prims (ie - hundreds of LI if rezzed on the ground).    

Sylvia

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

The bounding box should have a limit of 64m. Unless I am wrong.

Cool.  🙂  I don't actually need it as "big as a house" but I was worried that they were somehow un-resizeable beyond the micro-realm as it were.  

Sylvia

2 hours ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

Thanks for the heads up, but I thought that worn items don't count as much as rezzed prims, no?

I mean back in the day, everyone was walking around with jewellery made out of hundreds and hundreds of individual prims (ie - hundreds of LI if rezzed on the ground).    

Sylvia

It makes the COMPLEXITY (read lag) mount up and quite a few folks won't buy because of that. Some events limit complexity in order to get in and --- it is just a BAD thing to do LOL as it makes the person wearing as well as all the people around them LAG.

LAG = "not good" :D.

PS. Actually I am not 100 percent sure about the difference in complexity since the complexity measurements are incorrect anyway. But I still think it is a very bad idea. Hopefully some jewelry makers will chime in here. I would be happy to have confirmation or more knowledge. 

I do know that older jewelry (made separately) raised complexity setting by a lot (sometimes through the roof). I have deleted all those items from my inventory so have nothing to take a screenshot of :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

"Micro" mesh is just regular mesh with a trick. For example, look at my beautiful jewelry part:

ba3931a811.png

Marvelous, I know. The problem is that this part can only be sized down to 0.01 because of SL limits. That's too big! But what if I put a box around my work that's twice the size?

ec1f3e0012.png

It can still be sized down to 0.01, but now the detail I want people to actually see is 0.005 in scale!

So what happens when I try to scale this up? Well, SL has a maximum scale of 64. That means people can only see the inside at a size of 32 meters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"Micro" mesh is just regular mesh with a trick. For example, look at my beautiful jewelry part:

ba3931a811.png

Marvelous, I know. The problem is that this part can only be sized down to 0.01 because of SL limits. That's too big! But what if I put a box around my work that's twice the size?

ec1f3e0012.png

It can still be sized down to 0.01, but now the detail I want people to actually see is 0.005 in scale!

So what happens when I try to scale this up? Well, SL has a maximum scale of 64. That means people can only see the inside at a size of 32 meters.

Cool explanation as always.  🙂 

Pictures really help too.  

Sylvia