Sign in to follow this  
Senet Wylder

Why no mesh head smiles??

Question to all the mesh head makers out there is the world ….

I have looked at many mesh heads over the years and am surprised that many do not have big toothy happy smile. There are smiles yes, but few big bright happy smiles. Truly is seems like the smiles are given as nearly an afterthought.

I am curious that so many of the major makers do not seem to even consider such a common expression.

Edited by Senet Wylder
  • Like 1

Best I’ve found for my av so far:

F85159D9-6D5F-4CDF-9068-26F7BC6D1454.thumb.jpeg.34fe7e76e0d8c2e5670e50d5e3c0ad8e.jpeg

good smiles are hard to make, probably because bento bones just can’t animate like skin & muscle can, and the result is usually just creepy.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Senet Wylder said:

Question to all the mesh head makers out there is the world ….

I have looked at many mesh heads over the years and am surprised that many do not have big toothy happy smile. There are smiles yes, but few big bright happy smiles. Truly is seems like the smiles are given as nearly an afterthought.

I am curious that so many of the major makers do not seem to even consider such a common expression.

It depends on the animator. The Vista Head AO is very good. As for smiles, the simple fact that a true smile is in the eyes more than the lips is where most animator fail.

• Like 1

I ended up getting the Vista Erika AO because it gives me facial expressions that don't make me totally cringe, unlike my Genus HUD... which makes me look like I'm contemplating serial murder.

I tried Vista Erika AO in store. Indeed, it's expressions look pretty nice on Genus head.

Genus head HUD has cool angry "about to murder" expressions in it. xD
:ph34r: Below some samples from Genus HUD.

2020-02-15_Genus-expressions.thumb.jpg.6e7183de035ebee9022e09b3014139ee.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, Senet Wylder said:

When I see words like 'bright happy' it kinda triggers me on this one...

In RL I have never been able to make that big smile. I just physically am not built like that and as a child I took constant grief from teachers over it. While I don't think it's a racial thing now, as a kid in early primary school being the only non-white in classes being hammered on in front of everyone and a few times even disciplined because I didn't have the ability to make that face they all made - it felt that way...

So I'm personally glad my avatar doesn't do it, and everyone else now gets to deal with my world on that score for a bit...

I imagine it is for technical reasons - when I've messed around with dials in apps like Poser and Daz3D on figures with a LOT more flexibility than our mesh heads here, I have still found the mouth deforms into some monstrosity way too easily, so sticking to mild expressions just avoids risk...

But I can still get my inner smile going at things being like this.