Do cisgender women like to admire other womens' looks?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From a survival point of view, a man looks for a good looking woman who is healthy and fertile. A woman looks for the same in a man. A woman can raise the children of another so recognizing a healthy fertile woman is a trait that is also needed in women. The same cannot be said between men who view each other as rivals. 

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'm just asking here because I need a female perspective on this and there are a lot of women here. And I just wanted a conversation.

As a cisgender man it's obvious that I would admire women, although I occasionally think a man could be attractive.

Yes, absolutely. A beautiful woman is a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman. I believe cis men do the same, but are conditioned to not speak about it. A handsome man is a handsome man is a handsome man.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

ofgs keep those gender discussions out of here, there been enough recently

Thanks for answering for all of us! 

Men, amiright??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Goodness knows I certainly appreciate beauty. When someone is beautiful to our brains (inward/outward beauty), we are going to appreciate that beauty no matter the gender. I know I've often wished I had a certain color of hair, certain shape of eyes, etc. when I've found women pretty. I think it's fairly normal. At least for me. I won't speak for others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'm just asking here because I need a female perspective on this and there are a lot of women here. And I just wanted a conversation.

As a cisgender man it's obvious that I would admire women, although I occasionally think a man could be attractive.

Well I don’t think it matters whether cisgendered or not. We ALL look and admire the looks of those we associate closest with. Cis Women admire other women’s looks, trans women admire other women’s looks, enbys do it, cis/trans men do it. It’s our nature as a species to admire and sometimes imitate one another.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

From a survival point of view, a man looks for a good looking woman who is healthy and fertile. A woman looks for the same in a man. A woman can raise the children of another so recognizing a healthy fertile woman is a trait that is also needed in women. The same cannot be said between men who view each other as rivals. 

Hm, I can still identify traits in men that I find attractive - as a heterosexual man.

But it isn't sexual attraction, and it's not the same traits that women tend to get all aflutter about. It's rather the perception of maturity, responsibility and intelligence - and yes, those traits are visible, in both men and women. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Hm, I can still identify traits in men that I find attractive - as a heterosexual man.

But it isn't sexual attraction, and it's not the same traits that women tend to get all aflutter about. It's rather the perception of maturity, responsibility and intelligence - and yes, those traits are visible, in both men and women.

It may be you are identifying potential rivals. If you couldn't identify a healthy and virile male who is attractive to women you wouldn't know who to compete against.🤔

9 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It may be you are identifying potential rivals. If you couldn't identify a healthy and virile male who is attractive to women you wouldn't know who to compete against.🤔

I don't generally congregate with the kind of women, with whom I'd have to be concerned about 'rival' men. I don't have very high standards, but one will have to be a little more civilized than a primate to rouse my interest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

What the heck is a cisgender woman? I can't keep up with all the terms there are nowadays..

Those prefixes originate from Latin, where "cis" means "this side" and "trans" means "other side". My first encounter with them was in organic chemistry class, where they were used to describe the location of methyl groups with respect to double bonds in organic molecules.

We now know of trans people as those who transition to the other gender or simply identify as being of the other gender (with respect to society's classification of their physical selves). While the use of "trans" seems natural because it's used in the word "transition", there wasn't a word to describe the far more common situation of people who's self view matched society's view of them. As awareness of the spectral nature of gender increased, someone decided we needed a prefix for that and coined "cis". So now we have transgender folks who identify as "the other" gender from their physical presentation and cisgender folks who identify the same as they appear.

I'm sure my explanation is missing some nuance, but there ya go. Latin also gives us "ambi"gender, which describes people who are everywhere and/or nowhere in the spectrum. I'd love to meet someone who's fiercely ambigender. I'm ambivalently cisgender.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.