How to source live musicians?

Zzevir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

57 minutes ago, Zzevir said:

So I'm interested to know how clubs how plays live music get their musicians. As I never really seen any wanted ad on this forum for that. 

is lots of word of mouth in the scene.  Live venue owners talk to other owners, to musicians, and to the booking agents/managers and/or support crew of which there are quite a few in SL

if you are wanting to book live musicians then visit live venues and get into the scene.  If you see a musician you like then join their group in the first instance. Often their agent/manager while be listed on the musician's profile, so contact that person

if you are a musician wanting to perform then a good place to begin is at the Open Mic venues. Agent/managers and live venue owners often frequent Live Mic sessions looking for new talent

• Thanks 2

3 years ago I went looking for venues where their online profile indicated that they (even occasionally) featured my particular genre of music or that they made a point of taking on newer performers - a "tech refresh" on my gear had led to it being possible for me to stream as well as perform IRL. I attended a few sets at them, particularly noting if their calendar was active at a SL time where my RL TZ would permit me to perform, then politely IMed the host at one of those sets asking who to contact if I wanted to be considered to play at their venue....

That got me my first regular set, during those a couple of other venue owners contacted me and a couple of other artists suggested places to contact and it built from there.

Since then, there has been a little turnover in the places I play regularly, some have closed, some have shifted genres such that I no longer fit... When that happens and I have a gap in my calendar I start looking all over again, following the same methodology. It's not too unlike the RL music scene, contact several before you get to audition and several auditions before you get a booking with word-of-mouth the icing on the cake that "pays off" more frequently....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zzevir said:

So I'm interested to know how clubs how plays live music get their musicians. As I never really seen any wanted ad on this forum for that. 

Typically they contact the performer (usually at a show). As a venue owner, I contact musicians I know. Musicians rarely advertise except in profiles, from what I have seen, in terms of looking for booking. The only exception to this, at least generally, is we may get notecards from them or their managers.

Word of advice: Don't hire via ads. Go to shows. Contact the performer or their management (usually found in performer profile). Get their pricing and check your budget. Check crowd level. Balance cost with potential return.

• Thanks 1

And sometimes the performer will contact the club owner.  I remember a while back when I had my club --- my daughter (who only stayed in SL a short time) was filling in for me hosting and had a performer ask her how could he get a gig in the "joint!"  The performer has been in SL for a long long time and was looking for a gig to replace one he did at a club that closed up.

The one time I had a manager type tell me about a "performer" it went bad. He was using an iPhone to help performer and when it crapped out, his show did too. When I saw him at another club I noticed the set was exactly the same, so he was using a recording.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.