Is "Mass blocking" a strategy? Also a rant

xTornTwilightx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Finding people you click with in sl is kind of the same as rl - sometimes you just click with someone, and with others you might not. Maybe you should just chill and let it happen organically 'cause it sounds like you might be trying a bit too hard. The whole sifting through profiles, derendering, etc etc.. If that works for you, sure, stick with it, but it sounds more like a chore to me. If you're aggressively seeking out hour long conversations from strangers, you'll grow tired. There are so many things to do in sl where you'll naturally just meet people without forcing it.

Plus, the whole selection process goes both ways. The way you filter out people by reading through profiles and filter out avis that don't suit your taste, chances are the other person is doing the same - they're picking profiles they like, assessing messages/responses, basically everything you say you're doing, they're doing it too. That will be a factor to the responses or non-responses you get.

Generally though, if you just hang out and do stuff you like, it's actually fairly easy to meet people. It just happens.

• Like 6

On 2/14/2020 at 6:49 PM, xTornTwilightx said:

I tried out de-rendering today and it was amazing! I went to one of my favorite spots and while I chatted I peeked profiles and probably derendered about 15 people.

At this rate half of the SL will be derendered in a month.

• Like 1

The People here on the forum vs people on in world, it’s like night and day. I don’t know what it is, people in world just aren’t up for random conversation. People in Second Life are some of the shyest folk I’ve ever met. I’ve actually given up in those respects. Its hard especially if you are accustomed to other social platforms where conversation and socializing is the entire point of why people are there.

But with Second Life, that’s not always true. Some people are just logged in to ogle there own avatars, and any random IM’s are not a conversation they’re up for.

Edited by Adeon Writer
  • Thanks 1

Conversation is only one of the many, many things there are to do in SL. There's also exploring, building, scripting, creating, shopping, decorating, photography, filming, performing, dancing, adult fun, and yes, ogling one's own avatar, just to name a few.

I would never assume shyness just because someone is not up for a random IM chat. I'd assume that they are busy doing whatever it is *they* like to do in SL, and that might even be chatting with someone who is not you. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Adeon Writer said:

The People here on the forum vs people on in world, it’s like night and day.

Not really; for every one of us that posts vaguely regularly, there's most likely a half dozen people reading the thread without posting. But unlike those inworld, we cannot easily see them or register their existence. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.