Zzevir

Linden Lab CEO Confirms New Round Of Layoff

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'd say you are making a huge joke but I know you aren't and that's a real pity.

No, I'm not referring to his weight. I'm referring to his gravitas.

11 hours ago, entity0x said:

almost giddy with glee at it's impending demise... Weirdos.

You bet. You mistake "negativity" for disgust over so many years and so many millions in opportunity cost. The Lab could never bring itself to establish real business criteria for failure, instead running the whole development effort as a vanity project. The question remaining now is what plans can they have for collecting some recovery value from the scraps. It's hard to sell a technology when it's clear it's not going to be anybody's competitor -- even more so when there are no competitors left standing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i think that VR is not a dead duck.  Its just not at this time wholely where the masses of people are, or more correctly where the masses prefer to be

i think that the masses much prefer passive engagement (spectating), rather than active engagement, as entertainment. Activity is work, work is for participants and not spectators

passive (spectating) means watching interesting things. Like TV, movies, sports, theatre, concerts, etc.  Where people can engage, become engrossed, in a story line or scene without any active engagement on their part. Active meaning getting off their couch

an example of wearing VR goggles which appeals to the masses, of all ages from children to grandparents, is an exhibition on Antartica at Auckland Museum. https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/visit/whats-on/the-antarctica-vr-experience

pretty much every session is sold out

this kind of experience is where mass adoption of VR in the home can become the reality.  Like take your fav TV series or movie.  Recreate it in 3D. Wear your goggles, pick a character and see the story play out from the character's pov. Able to cam around as we can in any 3D scene

from here then taking it to the next level.  Live-ish real world events

wear your goggles, click UFC, pay $35. pick your character, who is a real world fighter in a real world cage.  People will be ducking and diving and throwing their fists on their own couch, even when it has 0 effect on what is happening.  And yelling at their character: get up! get up! when they get flattened

other things will be: seeing a real world stadium music concert thru the eyes of a performer.  Like pick the lead guitarist as your character. They will play the guitar for real, we will just air guitar the whole show.  Be the conductor at an orchestral event, etc

i think that this is where the industry is heading, and from this then the thing that we as 3D world residents want, active participation (control over the actions of the character/avatar) will evolve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/14/2020 at 6:40 PM, entity0x said:

I get it. Sansar is not for you. So stay in Second Life.. The rest of us are trying to build a future.

No. You don't get it. Sansar had it's chance, the best chance we all could give it, and it was painfully obvious to everyone here how it would end up .. it was also painfully obvious that it wasn't for us.

We paid for Sansar in every term you care to measure from money, to developer hours, to marketing, to company and media focus, and so on. Interest in SL was depressed since the announcement of Sansar. It certainly took all the wind out of the viewer dev community's sails, and all the while, SL was keeping all the lights on for everyone.

LL and SL are now both significantly smaller and weaker, LL are shifting income sources around in SL to make up for the drop with more changes still to come.

The only future now is for LL to downsize, try sell Sansar, maybe recoup a fraction of the money and hope it's not too late for the ugly & much maligned duckling to get back to laying those golden eggs.

The rest of us have been trying to build a future for the last 15 years, much to the chagrin of those running the show.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

No, you don't get it. If you did you would not have told others to stay in SL. We are free to go where we please, when we please. Deal with it. As for trying to build a future, the rest of us have been doing just that for the past 16 years. And not just in SL either.

4 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

No. You don't get it. Sansar had it's chance, the best chance we all could give it, and it was painfully obvious to everyone here how it would end up .. it was also painfully obvious that it wasn't for us.

We paid for Sansar in every term you care to measure from money, to developer hours, to marketing, to company and media focus, and so on. Interest in SL was depressed since the announcement of Sansar. It certainly took all the wind out of the viewer dev community's sails, and all the while, SL was keeping all the lights on for everyone.

LL and SL are now both significantly smaller and weaker, LL are shifting income sources around in SL to make up for the drop with more changes still to come.

The only future now is for LL to downsize, try sell Sansar, maybe recoup a fraction of the money and hope it's not too late for the ugly & much maligned duckling to get back to laying those golden eggs.

The rest of us have been trying to build a future for the last 15 years, much to the chagrin of those running the show.

The "We" you talk about also includes me, and other people I know. So don't get all haughty now.

Edited by entity0x
Double post
  • Haha 1

Starting in 2006 SL was a funny community what i really appreciated (and i still do). Those days it was not about commerce, but the fun you can have using the easy buildung tools and making your own clothes with very minimal skills in using graphic software. And i think it is still a funny community.

Then more and more guys appeared thinking that its their natural right as content creator to make so much money in SL that they can lay the rest of their RL in a lounger at a bahamas resort. But that only worked for some landlords and the guy who invented the TMP Beta body (and never updated it).

Linden Lab stated in the early beginnings of Sansar that they would give more opportunities to creators with that. Means, hey, create a bubble in Sansar and see the money in large bags coming in. Not only money, but money money money. Because you are a creator and you deserve it. What?

I read this guest editiorial from a guy called galan on the ryan schultz blog: https://ryanschultz.com/2020/02/13/guest-editorial-by-galen-the-future-of-sansar/

It is all about whining of lost commercial chances. I let the search look for the word "community" in this post. Zero. Its seems to be all about the poor "Me, Me, Me", never the glorious "We, We, We".

Just to mention: i send about 200 USD per month to the Lab, 50% is for rent, 50% for shopping. I do that because i appreciate a lively grid , meeting friends on mainland roads for biking, riding trains, fly with SL airlines, doing community activities like parties, shows, and stacking wooden boxes to see how a primitive house is coming up.

If you open a venue in SL or DJ in a club, or host a party, or dance for the guests you know that you will not become a rich guy in the sense of money, but maybe you gain some other richness in having a good time with and pleasing the community with your skills not asking what they are really worth in real money. Thats why every week a new club is opening, an new dj ore djane is appearing on the scene. Because its just FUN.

Sansar failed about the thinking that everything what brings the so called creators not enuf money in SL will easily become a cash cow in Sansar. But that was a bitter false conclusion. And Linden Lab trusted too much in SL creators, instead of checking to whom - not SL related - this application could make sense. I mention f.e. RL driving schools who want hold virtual lessons, RL car manufacturers presenting their newest models. That could have been the business plan for Sansar giving the unhappy SL creators a new business model, that is not related to SL in any way. But its much work to do for finding and convincing new customers. Instead they followed the easy but deceptive path of "SL 2.0", thinking its so easy to make existing residents of SL to compliant Sansar customers.

I am happy to be a resident in SL and i would like to see more improvments here that support the community like a new mainland 2.0, with larger regions for better and more fluent movement of cars, bikes, trains, airplanes. Give us much cheaper building space and - allow only one tipjar per experience - so we can present something for the community (like musuems, theatres, adventure parks, romantic corners, tbc) and not for filling our wallets.

So as Sansar has for me by design and definiton nothing to do with SL, but is only another project of the Lab (they could open a cheesecake factory too): please stay away from me with your Out-of-SL- bubbles and let the rest of us have fun on the SL grid.

I apologize in advance for typos or misunderstandable sentences as i am not a native english speaking person. OT: Is it true that the biggest group of SL residents are brazilians?

Edited by Wolf Eriksen
typos, typos, typos

Trouble at t'mill ? The future I see in this crystal ball is a management buyout of the SL core product. It's either that, or be bought by Sims simply so they can shut down a competing operation. Money talks and it's shrieking at the labs.

Screenshot_1.jpg.4a9c06434e9a29a315f38ec438fedbd2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolf Eriksen said:

I am happy to be a resident in SL and i would like to see more improvments here that support the community like a new mainland 2.0, with larger regions

When you say Larger regions, Ebbe said already on twitter when I asked about it that, they looked into the 1024 region size and it's not a priority for them currently.

3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

When you say Larger regions, Ebbe said already on twitter when I asked about it that, they looked into the 1024 region size and it's not a priority for them currently.

I find it improtant to say that i said this in a wider context:

"I am happy to be a resident in SL and i would like to see more improvments here that support the community like a new mainland 2.0, with larger regions for better and more fluent movement of cars, bikes, trains, airplanes. Give us much cheaper building space and - allow only one tipjar per experience - so we can present something for the community (like musuems, theatres, adventure parks, romantic corners, tbc) and not for filling our wallets."

It is not only asking for bigger regions, it is kind of an "idea" or "plan" to improve SL for the fun of its "creative, non commercial" residents. Since years we know that the Lab mismanaged (or ruined) mainland down to something between meaninglessness and wasteland. But im sure the feel total good with that.

After 13 years i know that the Lab is never willing to take notice of any residents desires or ideas, as longs as they dont come along with the beautiful sound of coins.

Back to Sansar: it never had any value for me.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, Soft Linden said:

This has been the prediction ever since Second Life allowed free signups, and for every change or feature since. Second Life, or Sixtieth Death?

Second Life has been dead since 2006 and I helped kill it as one of the dreaded "FREE ACCOUNTS THAT WILL KILL SECOND LIFE."

Although it had already been killed by GOM, CopyBot ,and Flexiprims so I really only arrived in time to dance on it's grave as a harbinger of The Banking Fisaco and Windlight.

It seems to inexplicably still be around.  Surprised none of the neighbors have complained about the smell.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:48 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

No, I'm not referring to his weight. I'm referring to his gravitas.

Um, isn't this supposed to be a family-friendly forum?

Save that sort of thing for your blog.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:20 PM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

In my bar I do customer support as well as other things. "My drink was watered down...."  I'd just say "you mean I didn't water it down enough?" 🤣

For some reason I thought of the bar scene from Desperado...