I have it on very good authority, though,  that  

That is not dead which can eternal lie. 
And with strange aeons even death may die

Cthulhu Ftaghn! R'lyeh arise!

lovecraft-rlyeh-city.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

While it sucks for the people losing their jobs, hopefully this means they'll have more time, money and effort to spend on SL instead of the doomed Sansar, which is what's being cut into.

They need to retire Sansar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Back off! This one's mine! :P

Soft...

squee.gif.d675dd47d82cb1e8ff7f0a851cf86359.gif

My love for @Quartz Mole runs deep and pure. 

Soft is all yours... and Quartz is all mine.

...whether he likes it or not...

😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Gindipple said:

20 people, no it's not dead, it just never came to life is all.

Not everything needs to be bleeding to be considered dead. Simply need to show no signs of life.

About the norm for a long while. Personally I like small towns and little villages. 

Hope you are well :D.

4 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

So seems time for me to put another resume in, since I would love to work with these amazing people, knowing I'm only good at customer support! but hey, it's a start!

In my bar I do customer support as well as other things. "My drink was watered down...."  I'd just say "you mean I didn't water it down enough?" 🤣

10 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Here we go...

Everyone! Let's say it all together now! Ready? In 3... 2... 1...

SECOND LIFE IS DEAD!

Next.

mostlydead.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

MAKE SURE THEY'RE PROPERLY HOUSE TRAINED BEFORE YOU LET THEM BACK IN!

this might take a while as Soft Linden said some of the returnees dunno even how to dress themselves anymore

so first thing Monday morning I would book them into a How To Get Your Mesh On 101 class  with Strawberry Linden

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, animats said:

The real question is, is Sansar dead? And if not, why not?

sansarfeb2020.thumb.png.407020f37f2c4781391c801cf287f640.png

Reality.

Should have made a Linux client.

• Haha 1

if you would have a cuve like this while in the hospital, they would have harvested your organs weeks ago...

c022c207e1809d4115d55e1f05555246.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

this might take a while as Soft Linden said some of the returnees dunno even how to dress themselves anymore

Yes, that too but let me give you an example of what I meant. It's a bit longish - sorry about that.

Back when I was fairly new as an SL'er and mesh maker, I filed a JIRA about a rather stupid bug in the mesh handling code (some may remember it - four and five face meshes used to be rendered at wrong LoD models). The Linden assigned to the case was one of the senior - or at least prominent - developers but he simply couldn't understand what I was talking about. I posted pictures of a four and a three face mesh side by side, clearly showing that the LoD model for the four face one was wrong and he still didn't see it. After a week or two of senseless alternation between patronizing and stupid question, he simply stopped responding and the JIRA was added to the big heap of open but never resolved JIRAs. I later found out that Drongle had filed a JIRA about it long before me with the same result. A few years later  - 2016 or so - I decided to try again and filed a new JIRA about the same issue. The only response I got that time was a quick "yes, that's not supposed to happen, we gotta fix it" and a week later the bug was fixed.

That is the difference between the LL developers before and after Oz took over. There's still a lot of room for improvement of course but the crew they have now is still in a different league than the one they had in the 2008-2013 period and we do not want to go back to that mess.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Kurt Linden is back for sure - he's viewer QA.
Monty Linden is back - I suspect he may be the "engineer with a proven track record for asset delivery optimization" that Soft mentioned above.
Maestro Linden - I'm not 100% sure he is back but I saw him on a region I was on yesterday so I really hope he is.  Maestro is amazing.
Runitai Linden - I heard a rumor he is back not I have no idea if it's true, but Soft did say above that "Second Life has THREE rock star graphics devs now" and I only knew of two & Runitai is a graphics dev, so maybe?

When they said "heavy hitters," the first thing I thought was, "I hope they bring Michael Linden back." I mean, it's all engineers and asset delivery optimization and whatnot, but what is needed is a person who lives in the world and builds it and talks to residents.

I didn't realize Torley had left.

But actually, it had literally been years since I talked to a Linden inworld until I just accidentally happened to drop in on Oz Linden's office hour. I will have more to say about this on my blog.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you would have a cuve like this while in the hospital, they would have harvested your organs weeks ago...

c022c207e1809d4115d55e1f05555246.png

You do have to wonder why they get rid of people instead of getting rid of this world Sansar. I haven't been in it in years. The only thing that has kept my interest in it is Draxter putting up things about it now and then that look interesting, but not enough for a tech adaptation struggle.

• Like 2

I'll miss Kona. Bumped into him a couple of times, beavering away here and there. Perhaps that's where he went wrong ? Grafting away, improving things ? 

15 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Here we go...

Everyone! Let's say it all together now! Ready? In 3... 2... 1...

SECOND LIFE IS DEAD!

Next.

Show me a company and I'll show you an organization where you can cut 20% of the staff and improve operations.

• Like 1

Hopefully there's knowledge gained from Sansar that can be applied to modernise and improve Second Life. If Sansar lives on, it should be as a low profile research project with the aim of pushing the boundaries of virtual world performance beyond what can be done with SL based test grids - but still mainly for the future benefit of SL. 

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

SECOND LIFE IS DEAD!

E37BA9D7-688B-4B03-826E-2E56A7478B57.gif

Edited by janetosilio
Crap someone beat me too it
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Hopefully there's knowledge gained from Sansar that can be applied to modernise and improve Second Life. If Sansar lives on, it should be as a low profile research project with the aim of pushing the boundaries of virtual world performance beyond what can be done with SL based test grids - but still mainly for the future benefit of SL. 

Here's hoping.

• Like 1

I'm super bummed about Kona.  Dagnabbit.

Outside of that... I hope this was a good move that will be a net benefit to SL.  I do love our crazy virtual world.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, animats said:

The real question is, is Sansar dead? And if not, why not?

sansarfeb2020.thumb.png.407020f37f2c4781391c801cf287f640.png

Reality.

Um. Those numbers are THOUSANDS, right? Surely. Not just single people..... surely????

• Haha 8